North Dakota Fighting Sioux (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Interior Cascadian

Apr 2, 2007
Olympia, WA
Interesting that the article likens next season's roster construction to the 2016 champs, when it was largely the result of Hakstol's style of hauling in a lot of high end talent. Despite this season's trend for young, talent-rich teams, I'm wondering what, if anything, has actually changed from when we saw UND play in seven Frozen Fours in Hakstol's ten-year tenure. This season's lack of success seems to be a product of not being able to reload top end goal-scoring talent faster than it moves on to the big leagues. (This shouldn't be an issue next season.) I don't know what bringing in lower end talent that sticks around for four years will do if those guys never crack the top six. Is it simply diversifying the roster portfolio to help mitigate a potential goal scoring drought like we've experienced this season? I'm interested to get your perspective on this, Dakota Sioux. For better or for worse, I think I'm stuck in the same "What Would Hak Do" rut that a lot of the fanbase finds themselves in this season.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
Interesting that the article likens next season's roster construction to the 2016 champs, when it was largely the result of Hakstol's style of hauling in a lot of high end talent. Despite this season's trend for young, talent-rich teams, I'm wondering what, if anything, has actually changed from when we saw UND play in seven Frozen Fours in Hakstol's ten-year tenure. This season's lack of success seems to be a product of not being able to reload top end goal-scoring talent faster than it moves on to the big leagues. (This shouldn't be an issue next season.) I don't know what bringing in lower end talent that sticks around for four years will do if those guys never crack the top six. Is it simply diversifying the roster portfolio to help mitigate a potential goal scoring drought like we've experienced this season? I'm interested to get your perspective on this, Dakota Sioux. For better or for worse, I think I'm stuck in the same "What Would Hak Do" rut that a lot of the fanbase finds themselves in this season.
I wish I had an answer. The inconsistency drives me nuts. You think they have it figured out and the next game it’s the other way around. If Scheel is out the rest of the year then it’s more than likely over unless Thome is healthy. If not it’s the third stringer they just got a couple weeks ago. I wish I or anybody had the answer

Interior Cascadian

Apr 2, 2007
Olympia, WA
Nope. Once again, they seemed to throw everything at the wall and came up just a little bit short.

I think I know how this will play out, but for the sake of desperate hope... here's to sweeping CC and UNO, and then winning the first round of the NCHC tourney.

(I laughed a little when I re-read that last bit.)

Reactions: Dakota Sioux

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
Sioux sweep Omaha and end up fifth the NCHC. Now it’s playoff time and they go to Denver for the best of 3. Obviously they need to win that and more than likely win the NCHC tourney to get in the big tourney.

Reactions: Interior Cascadian

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
Once again UND outplays their opponent only to lose 2-0 to DU. The lack of any kind of finishers on this team is amazing. There isn’t one. Now they need to beat DU 2 in a row to advance to the X and I highly doubt that happens. Hopefully there is a finisher or 2 coming in next year or it will be a repeat of this season.

Interior Cascadian

Apr 2, 2007
Olympia, WA
Once again UND outplays their opponent only to lose 2-0 to DU. The lack of any kind of finishers on this team is amazing. There isn’t one. Now they need to beat DU 2 in a row to advance to the X and I highly doubt that happens. Hopefully there is a finisher or 2 coming in next year or it will be a repeat of this season.
Difficult series to watch. You summed it up well- They outplayed DU but couldn't finish. I think the pitchfork mobs calling for Berry's head are premature though. One incomplete recruiting cycle does not mean the program is going to hell, particularly when we're talking about a program defined by losing its talent to the pros both early and often. Let's see what comes of this twist in recruiting style described by that article you posted a month ago. I still think the 2016 championship was more a product of Hak's blue chip recruits making a rare, collective decision to stick around one more year to win a championship as opposed to recruiting guys guys like Senden with the intention of them making up your top 6... but Berry's paid the big bucks for these decisions, not me.

If Gersich and Wolanin returned for one last shot, they're heading to the X and in the national tourney. Last year, if Boeser and Jost gave it one last go, they're likely deep in the hunt for their 9th banner.

For the record: I like Senden a lot but think he's miscast, and I don't fault our early departures for a second in taking the paychecks they deserve.

I've decompressed now... rant over.

Interior Cascadian

Apr 2, 2007
Olympia, WA
Another Panzer has verbally committed. Jakson Panzer who is the son of Jeff Panzer is a 14 year old bantam. Jeff was a former Hobey Baker finalist. Young yes, but he’s a Panzer. Can’t go wrong
God I miss the Panzer/Blake/Goehring years.

Gage Ausmus' younger brother Trey has verbally committed too.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
91C364B8-F060-4548-AA65-8EAA8D265B74.jpeg

Interior Cascadian

Apr 2, 2007
Olympia, WA
I'm a little surprised that many traditional eastern cities finished near the bottom of the poll. For anyone too lazy to click the link, here's how things settled:

Where would you like to see a Frozen Four?

TheRinkLive.com poll results (1,133 total votes):

1. St. Paul, Minn., 264 votes, 23.3 percent
2. Tampa, Fla., 169, 14.9
3. Nashville, Tenn., 140, 12.4
4. Las Vegas, Nev., 136, 12.0
5. Phoenix/Glendale, Ariz., 127, 11.2
6. New York City, 49, 4.3
7. Denver, Colo., 42, 3.7
8. Seattle, Wash., 38, 3.4
9. (tie) San Jose, Calif., 25, 2.2
Milwaukee, Wis., 25, 2.2
Dallas, Texas, 25, 2.2
12. Columbus, Ohio, 22, 1.9
13. Anaheim/Los Angeles, Calif., 20, 1.8
14. Chicago, 18, 1.6
15. St. Louis, Mo., 17, 1.5
16. Philadelphia, Pa., 16, 1.4

EDIT: My surprise is tempered once I realized TheRinkLive.com is a (great) site for North Dakota and Minnesota hockey. So the voting base is just a wee bit skewed to reflect the Lower 48's freezer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad