North Dakota Fighting Sioux (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
Says the guy with a Carson Wentz avatar...

Chris Klieman makes more in six months than Bubba Schweigert will make for the biennium. David Richman makes three times what Brian Jones makes. All four of those men are good coaches, but UND skimping on salaries will make it hard to retain their coaches if other mid-majors are looking for some fresh blood and make them equally difficult to replace.

UND's major programs aren't succeeding because of their resources; they're succeeding in spite of them, and they need to really commit to those programs and their coaches if they want to be competitive when they leave the Big Sky next summer. That says nothing of their non-revenue programs, which have dealt with equally-substandard coach pay AND awful facilities, despite UND's athletics programs getting way more institutional support (to the tune of about $2M) than NDSU's.

Shame on you for making me quote Rob Port, but since you asked...

Link (mentioned document is at the bottom of the article)

More than a quarter of the team's costs were scholarships; another $400k+ for coaches, and then $350k+ for travel. No way the school could justify those costs.

As for why other programs can stay afloat, presumably either the institutional support isn't as much of a burden, or they have other sources of revenue to put into those programs (like Wisconsin and Minnesota, which are supposed to get something like $8M more in TV money in 2017-18).

That guy in my avatar happens to be my nephew.

CapInSask

Jan 22, 2014
Moose Jaw, Sask
Unfortunately I haven't had much of a chance to watch UND games this year but I was wondering if anyone could tell me how Rhett Gardner played this year? I know he finished last years campaign strong, really coming into his own especially in the faceoff circle. I'm wondering if he was able to build on that at all this season. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
UND only had one player drafted this year. Last time that happened was 1999 when Mike Commodore was the only player selected. If I remember right that year turned out all right.

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
Its Sioux/Gopher week so let the hype begin. Both teams coming off lopsided wins where they both scored 6 goals. I say a split but regardless the Ralph will be jumping like it hasn't in a long time.

RabidBadger

Mazur detractors will look like dummies!
Sep 9, 2007
Detroitish
Ya know I'm always going to pop in for this series. Tighten your chinstraps and enjoy the show; the Bad-#ss Badgers are back[ish]. I'm thinking split, which is appropriate for these historic foes.

I know you dusted off your Robbie Earl sweater for this one:D

Dakota Sioux

Wild Time
Aug 19, 2005
JAMESTOWN,ND
Got to meet Coach Berry today as my peewee team played his sons and Dane Jackson sons team. What a class act. We lost 4-3 but he congratulated us coaches afterwards and said it’s nice to see coaches with passion for the game. Told him thanks and good luck in Denver. Just a great guy. UND is lucky to have him

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad