North \ Canadian Division - Defense

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Oilers without a massive minute muncher like Kelfbom is a little meh this season. Every team has played - what one or two games so far? Easier to rank after 10-20 games.

Sens D looks big and nasty but had trouble with the Leafs cycle. Montreal’s D looked very mobile and slick but how will they handle thorny big forwards like the Sens?
will be interesting. I think Romanov's development is key - so they can slot him in with Weber and move chiarot into his proper chair in bottom 2. Petry is also terrific. I'm not sold on Edmundson yet. maybe in bottom pair. good news, habs have lots of young D-men coming

Last edited:

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Oilers without a massive minute muncher like Kelfbom is a little meh this season. Every team has played - what one or two games so far? Easier to rank after 10-20 games.

Sens D looks big and nasty but had trouble with the Leafs cycle. Montreal’s D looked very mobile and slick but how will they handle thorny big forwards like the Sens?

I agree they looked questionable at times but in terms of results they played Toronto well. 3 goals against with under 3 expected goals is good considering the opposition.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
On our board, someone pointed out that we have four gigantic immobile defencemen in Brown, Zaitsev, Coburn and Gudbranson.

Either they try to chase Marner around the zone and look stupid and maybe take a penalty, or they stand in front of the net and in the slot and prevent anyone getting into the high-danger areas.

It might not be ideal but it's probably the only way they will be effective, and it does cede a lot of possession in the defensive zone.

The forwards are fairly conservative and we rarely have 2 forecheckers in deep so as to prevent the quick counterattacks and odd-man transition plays.

The Senators also had a fair number of moments last night were they ended up stuck out on the ice too long and that exacerbated how they looked against the Leafs cycle. Remains to be seen if conditioning/rust played a factor there.

The expectation is that Wolanin will provide some puck moving support to Chabot on the second pairing but he didn't have a very good game last night.

He had that awkward fall and kind of disappeared after that. He can definitely skate, though.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I agree they looked questionable at times but in terms of results they played Toronto well. 3 goals against with under 3 expected goals is good considering the opposition.

The Leafs just have to shoot more.

Put more pucks on net. 4 shots on goal in the third period is inexcusable.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Brodie was a minus 3 against Ottawa last night. He did not look good... at all.
Starting to wonder if Rielly is the issue.
Together Brodie and Rielly were a minus 7 in that loss to Ottawa. Maybe they just don’t (yet) mesh together?

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Montreals actual D core is overatted imo. They are pretty dam solid from a defensive standpoint compared to other teams in the division but the forwards busting their asses off for the boys back there has alot to do with montreals defensive game. Watching toronto ottawa last night its easy to point the finger at rielly or brodie for defensive mistakes but honnestly wtf are torontos forwards doing help the guys out ffs

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Is Brodie really the defensive conscience Rielly needs in a partner?

Hard to tell after 2 games.

No pre-season, all kinds of COVID-19 shenanigans.

I get that we want to talk about hockey but I really have no clue what is going to emerge over time.

Probably what most people expected in the end.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Montreal’s D looked very mobile and slick but how will they handle thorny big forwards like the Sens?

Unsure about this sentence. Montreal's D is average in terms of mobility if you ask me. Weber is slow, Chiarot can move okay but is far from slick, Edmundson is ultra slow and Kulak is decent. Petry and Romanov are great skaters, and so is Mete, but Mete is the #7 guy right now. So you really only have 2 defensemen that could be said are above-average in terms of speed and mobility.

And for the last part, not sure what year you think you're in but Montreal's D is very big and physical now. Chiarot is like 230 pounds, Weber is mean, Petry is 6'2 and can hit, Edmundson obviously can hit, Romanov is very physical and Kulak can hold his own too. Of course, Mete is small and weak, but again, he's the #7. Cale Fleury the #8 has good size, mobility and strength. So I'm not sure why Montreal would have trouble with any big forwards

Here I Pageau Again

Jul 4, 2012
I feel like ppl are rating Ottawa's D too high.

The reason Ottawa may have more success is because of the defensive support their forwards give. Their D, minus Chabot, isn't anything to write home about.

Defensively, I'm not sure many Canadian teams are that great.

Reactions: bigtim1988

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012

Habs defence
Weber: 6'4, 229 lbs
Edmundson: 6'4, 227 lbs
Chariot: 6'3, 234 lbs
Petry: 6'3, 208 lbs
Kulak: 6'1, 192 lbs
Romanov: 6'0, 208 lbs

The habs have the biggest and most physical d-corps in the NHL

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
Habs defence
Weber: 6'4, 229 lbs
Edmundson: 6'4, 227 lbs
Chariot: 6'3, 234 lbs
Petry: 6'3, 208 lbs
Kulak: 6'1, 192 lbs
Romanov: 6'0, 208 lbs

The habs have the biggest and most physical d-corps in the NHL

I think the Sens do.

Attachments

• 7F137E25-8295-4FDA-AE18-CF2F7D0F4C5B.jpeg
    7F137E25-8295-4FDA-AE18-CF2F7D0F4C5B.jpeg
    204 KB · Views: 8

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Brodie was a minus 3 against Ottawa last night. He did not look good... at all.
Starting to wonder if Rielly is the issue.

Last 3 years - GF/GA/GF% (5v5) - partner
2017 - 62/57/52.10% - Hainsey
2018 - 99/68/59.28% - Hainsey
2019 - 44/40/52.38% - Ceci

He is for sure the problem and was carried by Hainsey and Ceci.
Surely small sample size and PDO have nothing to do with this.
PDO
2017 - 1.011
2018 - 1.039
2019 - 1.010
2020 - 0.857

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
No teams look very good yet this season. In a couple weeks they will have the rust shook off and I can make an assessment based on at least a little bit of evidence. Goalies might need a little bigger sample though.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
I rank them:

Mon (Weber factor)
Van (Hughes factor)
Cal. (Geo factor)
Ott (Chabot factor)
Tor
Win
Ed

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Brodie is horrible. Barrie was no defensive staalwart, but anyone who expects Brodie to be one will be sorely disappointed. And he is far worse than Barrie offensively to boot.
Are you suggesting the Leafs actually took a step back going to Brodie from Barrie? Barrie was pretty bad for them, right?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad