North Bay Battalion 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Green Tank

Jun 5, 2021
Hey now!

Ertel is playing NCAA.

I know nothing about Ziliotto lol.

I think Coe will be back as an OA along with Rose and Russell to start the year.

Trade Primeau for pick(S).

Personally, I would like to see them draft an import D.

U18 will always be a wildcard.

Enjoy the heat!

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Hey now!

Ertel is playing NCAA.

I know nothing about Ziliotto lol.

I think Coe will be back as an OA along with Rose and Russell to start the year.

Trade Primeau for pick(S).

Personally, I would like to see them draft an import D.

U18 will always be a wildcard.

Enjoy the heat!
Primeau's gone. He's signed and he's an OA. Not coming back.

Coe might come back based on what's going on with the Sharks. They issued his bona fide offer to retain his rights, but they still have another year before they have to sign him. Possible they choose to make up for a year of development lost.

Regardless, I think they target a center either via trade or through the import draft. Their depth at the position is lacking on the top end.

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
Primeau's gone. He's signed and he's an OA. Not coming back.

Coe might come back based on what's going on with the Sharks. They issued his bona fide offer to retain his rights, but they still have another year before they have to sign him. Possible they choose to make up for a year of development lost.

Regardless, I think they target a center either via trade or through the import draft. Their depth at the position is lacking on the top end.
You are talking as if it is impossible for Primeau to play ohl anymore after signing. Have players NEVER played an overage year after being signed?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
You are talking as if it is impossible for Primeau to play ohl anymore after signing. Have players NEVER played an overage year after being signed?
It's rare. Teams have little to no impact over how their prospect is being utilized when they're sent back to junior. In most cases it's better to have your 20 year old prospect playing against adults at that point.

Coe being sent back makes a little more sense because he's a late birthday. He's technically a year behind Primeau.

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
Here are a couple of items from the “for what it’s worth” files:

Peter Baracchini of The Hockey Writers has issued a list of his top 160 (5 x 32) NHL draft choices. I have no idea of his credentials. He has Matvei Petrov at 63 (near end of round 2) and Alex Christopoulos at 159 (near end of round 5).

3 Battalion players participated in the PBHH tournament that just finished up in Erie PA after a couple of weeks: Avery Winslow 7GP 3G 3A 6PTS; Mitch Russell 9GP 2G 2A 4PTS; Ty Hollett 9GP 1G 1A 2PTS.

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
Here are a couple of items from the “for what it’s worth” files:

Peter Baracchini of The Hockey Writers has issued a list of his top 160 (5 x 32) NHL draft choices. I have no idea of his credentials. He has Matvei Petrov at 63 (near end of round 2) and Alex Christopoulos at 159 (near end of round 5).

3 Battalion players participated in the PBHH tournament that just finished up in Erie PA after a couple of weeks: Avery Winslow 7GP 3G 3A 6PTS; Mitch Russell 9GP 2G 2A 4PTS; Ty Hollett 9GP 1G 1A 2PTS.
nice to see alex on a list, but loses clout when Vrbetic not mentioned

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
Brock Otten rated a number of players at the PBHH event, here is one of local interest:

3. Avery Winslow

I mentioned Winslow as someone I felt would have been drafted if the pandemic had not shut down the season early, based on how well Winslow was playing with North Bay following the trade. And I think all he did was prove that should have been the case. Winslow may have been the best and most consistent defender at this event, using his mobility, skill, and sense to dominate at both ends. When the OHL returns, don't be surprised if Winslow is suddenly one of the best defenders in the OHL. His confidence as an offensive player looks really high based on how aggressive he was jumping up into the play.

Reactions: sbpointer

The Green Tank

Jun 5, 2021
Hey now!

Winslow will be fun to watch this year.

1 signed, hopefully Sima signs soon. This year should be a nice change lol.

Reactions: Uncle

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
Nelson and Wakely will be difference makers right off the get-go, give them preseason and ~5 reg season and its over

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
Alexander Lukin played in the MHL (Russia Jr.), his team played a 64 game schedule and finished 10th of 17 teams in the West Div. The team played 9 defencemen (I didn’t include a 1-gamer) during the year, and he was the lowest games played with 24 (1G 3A) , the others ranged from 32 to 57. However, of the 9, 7 were ages 18-20, there were 2 17s including Lukin. The other 17 played 57 games (0G 2A). Lukin just turned 17 at the end of Mar., so actually played the season as a 16 yr. old.

I was a bit surprised the Battalion didn’t select a forward as the D-group seems reasonably well set and the F-group might be a bit thin on quality. In today’s Cogeco interview, Adam Dennis sounded pretty confident Lukin will be on his way here. If he arrives it might make one of the Hollett / Mayotte / several others group somewhat vulnerable.

Reactions: dirty12

Patricia

Aug 25, 2018
Might?!? I think a trade is coming...they've got some excess on D. My Top 6 (for me) are:
Pair 1 - Winslow/Nelson
Pair 2 - Rose/ P. Christopolous
Pair 3 - Mathurin/ Lukin
The wildcard in my mind is Mathurin....does he start right away in the OHL, or does he spend a year in Pembroke? Somebody's got to go - but do you let the players make that decision for you, and wait to deal...or should North Bay deal now when they have an embarrassment of (potential) riches on the back end?

I can't remember who said it - but someone here remarked that the f0rward group is looking a little thin - what are things looking like so far?

Last edited:
Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Mathurin is in his 2nd year of eligibility and was a fairly early pick at #41, 10th or 11th D taken; a similar spot as Christopolous at #38. 10th D selected. So I think he plays as a 3rd pair right away, though I can see him and Lukin alternating as 7th D with Hollett for a couple of months until teams know what they have and a trade can be facilitated.
The forward group might not have many vets, but I don't think it’s as thin with talent as the D is incredibly deep.
Petrov-Russell-OA?
Jackson-Arnsby-Christopolous
Outwater-Wakely-Sima
Vansteensel-Podolioukh-Romani
Currie
There was 4-1sts, 2-2nds, 3-3rds, 2-4ths used to build that F group. It should not be thin on talent.
With Vrbetic, Winslow, Nelson, Christopolous, Rose, Mathurin, Lukin, Hollett; the batallion appear to have used their early extra picks fairly well and built an all around good team, possibly for years.
The central might soon go from the worst to the best division in the OHL.​

Last edited:

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
Brock Otten’s listing of Top 50 OHL players for the ’21 NHL draft has 1 Battalion player in the 31 – 50 group. Here is his take on PC4:

41. Paul Christopoulos - Defense - North Bay Battalion

Anyone who reads my work or follows me on social media knows that I am a huge fan of this player. He was one of my favourites to watch in U16 as part of that dominant Don Mills Flyers team. Christopoulos is a highly effective puck mover and play creator from the back-end because of his four way mobility, vision, and big point shot. Even though he had one of the worst plus/minus ratings in the OHL two years ago (-41), his season was obviously not that bad since he was named to the OHL second all rookie team. So I guess the million dollar question is...if I like the player so much why is he ranked 41st? I guess the answer to that is...I am not quite sure if Christopoulos' skill set will translate well to the NHL level, or if he ends up becoming just a really good OHL defender. While his four way mobility is impressive and Christopoulos is great with his pivots and lateral movement when holding the line, his North/South quickness may not be as good as you would like to see from a 5'10 defender. Additionally, Christopoulos did struggle mightily in defensive zone coverage two years ago, especially when it came to defending the slot and net front. So what we have is, an undersized defender who struggled defensively, but who also did not light the world on fire from an offensive perspective either due to some limitations in physical tools. Ranking him was probably the hardest thing I had to do this year, based solely on what we saw two years ago. I know he would have looked better in 20/21, but how much better and in what areas? So tough.

The Green Tank

Jun 5, 2021
At this point I would move Rose to make room on defence. We are in no rush this year. Develop and go for a 2-3 year run.

For me expendable players are F - Stevens and Campbell. D - Thompson and Rose.

Reactions: Uncle

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
At this point I would move Rose to make room on defence. We are in no rush this year. Develop and go for a 2-3 year run.

For me expendable players are F - Stevens and Campbell. D - Thompson and Rose.

Can shop for a great offer, but otherwise let camp and early part of season play out before unceremoniously ushering out the current longest serving battalion player? Right now the team probably does not know exactly what it has outside ton of young talent and picks.

Reactions: SeniorJuniorFan

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
This is Brock's take on JoeV at #21:

21. Joe Vrbetic - Goaltender - North Bay Battalion
Vrbetic is a massive (6'6), but slight (180lbs) netminder who is definitely deserving of the NHL attention he is receiving. A late born 2002, Vrbetic has really only played one OHL season, unlike the aforementioned Tristan Lennox. His rookie year had some serious ups and downs, but it did seem like he had turned a corner in the final month or two before the pandemic shut everything down. Obviously, at 6'6, his size is going to be the first thing NHL scouts find attractive; it is the trend. He does certainly take up a lot of the net, especially when he drops down to the butterfly and manages to get out to challenge shooters. However, his quickness and agility is something that he will need to work hard on. He can get caught deep in his net too often because he lacks the quickness to react aggressively with a hard push out into the blue paint. This also goes for his up/down quickness, which needs improvement as well in order to give him a better chance of making those second/third chance opportunity saves. In flurries, he can get lost. That said, I do feel Vrbetic tracks the play well. His anticipation is excellent, so once he refines some of those technical components, he should be able to be a much more consistent netminder. Vrbetic's rebound control for a larger netminder is also good, especially his pad control and his ability to squeeze body shots when fighting through traffic. The control of his long limbs despite obviously lacking strength and power reminds me a bit of watching Matt Murray at the same age. Goaltenders are certainly tougher to project, but there is no reason to suggest that Vrbetic could not be an NHL netminder if he continues to improve.

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
Nelson and divincentiis invited to u18 Canada tryouts. Divincentiis is 1 of 4 goalies across chl invited :thumbu: . Looking forward to hearing how 2 big parts of our future stack up against the others, one year out from draft.

For context he was the 10th Canadian goalie taken in the OHL draft and was the only one named to camp. Thats a positive.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->