North Bay Battalion 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
What are NB thoughts on Ty Nelson pick? I'm a little skeptical on high of a pick he is, would have went with top end forward with plan B. I think there was enough forward talent that could have been considered.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Olden

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
What are NB thoughts on Ty Nelson pick? I'm a little skeptical he is a that high of a pick, would have went with top end forward with plan B. I think there was enough forward talent that could have been considered.
Congrats, I dont watch these players but the people that do had Ty Nelson at #2 so Im content. Sucks we couldnt have the big fish in a perfect world but im also not surprised.

IceCube

Mar 20, 2014
Easy boys. Mayotte and Thompson were rookies last year and thrown into the fire. Thompson is the only U18 draft to make the team. Would you be surprised to know he played AA prior to his U18 year. He will be fine in time and brings grit that is required. Henderson is an OA, unlikely to be back. The team is going in the right direction. Be positive with the re-build and the new regime. Exciting times for NB.

Reactions: Samee987

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Happy to see that Nelson is excited to put the jersey on. Really hope he succeeds in North Bay. That being said, if Adam Fantilli commits to either Niagara, who hold the rights to his brother, or Kingston, who have his buddy Shane Wright, this will be an absolute debacle.

Hard to tell how good these players will be at this point though. Hoping Nelson's a gem.

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014
Easy boys. Mayotte and Thompson were rookies last year and thrown into the fire. Thompson is the only U18 draft to make the team. Would you be surprised to know he played AA prior to his U18 year. He will be fine in time and brings grit that is required. Henderson is an OA, unlikely to be back. The team is going in the right direction. Be positive with the re-build and the new regime. Exciting times for NB.
...with a smallish star D draft we need gritty guys to balance him off..one falcon paired with one hammerhead....same with Christo...

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I may be wrong but Nelson could be one of the players that will shine in the OHL but not have the parts (size) to be drafted into the NHL. It will be interesting how he takes the banging from the big guys in the corners. A little surprised to see a small D ranked so high so the kid must have some skills.

Reactions: LR8

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
I may be wrong but Nelson could be one of the players that will shine in the OHL but not have the parts (size) to be drafted into the NHL. It will be interesting how he takes the banging from the big guys in the corners. A little surprised to see a small D ranked so high so the kid must have some skills.
Banging in the corners? Did you watch this past year. I saw 1, maybe 2 “bangs”, in the corners. The game has changed... its transition and puck possession.

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
Here is the summary on our latest D-man from Brock Otten's list where he was ranked 28:

Selection: Tnias Mathurin – D – Ajax Pickering Raiders – 6'2, 190lbs
Analysis: A standout player from the beginning of the season, Tnias Mathurin is a sizable defender who is able to take control of the game from the back end. A long stride and large frame help him cover a lot of ice quickly and take away shooting and passing lanes from opponents. He simply will not let opponents be first on loose pucks in his own end, and uses his size to force players off the puck. A good skater, once he gets up to top speed he is able to dissect the neutral zone before making a quick pass on the zone entry. Offensively, he practices great shot placement and movement across the blue line to open up additional chances for his offense.

Patricia

Aug 25, 2018
What a start by Adam Dennis today-Take Nelson #1, and who ever thought he'd have that kind of opportunity to be a thief at 30 with drafting Wakely? One of the better drafts by this franchise in recent memory - Was North Bay the big winner today or what? :)

Reactions: Uncle

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
What a start by Adam Dennis today-Take Nelson #1, and who ever thought he'd have that kind of opportunity to be a thief at 30 with drafting Wakely? One of the better drafts by this franchise in recent memory - Was North Bay the big winner today or what? :)
The last 2 have been great, there will be buzz about this team next year

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Wakely why so late???

"Character issues" were the reason I was given by about 6 different people when I asked around. I don't care though, there's a lot of dicks in the OHL. Not many of them can get you 80+ points like Wakely will be able to do in when he's 18/19 lol.

Minor midget character concerns are overblown imo. A lot of kids are immature and can grow out of that

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
"Character issues" were the reason I was given by about 6 different people when I asked around. I don't care though, there's a lot of dicks in the OHL. Not many of them can get you 80+ points like Wakely will be able to do in when he's 18/19 lol.

Minor midget character concerns are overblown imo. A lot of kids are immature and can grow out of that
Most are overblown , but some tigers cant change their spots. I will do some digging to find out exactly what " Character issues". Depending on what they are , some times it isn't worth the risk to the dressing room and the culture of the organization . Time will tell .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->