North Bay Battalion 2020 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
You don't just trade a former 1st rounder for a 4th and a 12th without being forced to do it. He obviously asked to be moved
No disrespect to the kid but he had two years here and if you watched the games or checked the stat lines you’d see he was extremely underwhelming for a 1st round selection. I think that may have had SOMETHING to do with it.
It started to look like more and more a confidence issue later in his second season. Hopefully he can blossom as a player elsewhere without the pressures of home town first round pick
Would not be surprised, or hold it against him, if he asked out

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
No disrespect to the kid but he had two years here and if you watched the games or checked the stat lines you’d see he was extremely underwhelming for a 1st round selection. I think that may have had SOMETHING to do with it.
It started to look like more and more a confidence issue later in his second season. Hopefully he can blossom as a player elsewhere without the pressures of home town first round pick
Would not be surprised, or hold it against him, if he asked out

Yeah he talked about being asked to play as a shutdown defense man instead of a offensive defenseman when he got into North Bay. Honestly I think its a clash of styles between the coaching staff and this player.

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Quite frankly, the Guskov deal is a perfect representation of the inequality of the OHL. On the one hand you have North Bay, who has such a hard time attracting their own import players that they have to go out and spend picks to trade for an import instead of getting one for free in the draft. On the other hand you have London, who will have no trouble replacing this player for free in the draft, that has now manufactured more picks for themselves out of thin air.

The draft is supposed to even the playing field. But alas that's not the reality we live in.

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
Quite frankly, the Guskov deal is a perfect representation of the inequality of the OHL. On the one hand you have North Bay, who has such a hard time attracting their own import players that they have to go out and spend picks to trade for an import instead of getting one for free in the draft. On the other hand you have London, who will have no trouble replacing this player for free in the draft, that has now manufactured more picks for themselves out of thin air.

The draft is supposed to even the playing field. But alas that's not the reality we live in.

They still have another import spot open, a high first round import pick, and I doubt they find someone of Guskov's quality in round 2 that's already acclimated to NA ice. Honestly he's be a good piece for the young team.

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014
...the drafting of first rounders and subsequent trading of them point out terrible scouting in the past.....no NHL interest in them confirms this....scouts let go????and if so.....who????

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
Guskov? Cool. I almost mentioned him before the draft. I figured that London wasn't sitting out the Import Draft. If he reports, he'll put up a lot of points on the top line.
What do you have down for the top line?

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
What do you have down for the top line?
Guskov - Moncada - Coe

Regardless of who we take at the Import draft, I don't see that changing. But the rest of the roster is still up in the air. We still have an Import and two OAs to find.

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
Guskov - Moncada - Coe

Regardless of who we take at the Import draft, I don't see that changing. But the rest of the roster is still up in the air. We still have an Import and two OAs to find.

Would like to see a 5th year OA on defence to mentor the kids. Really like the 'addition' and 'subtraction' to the lineup today.

Reactions: LDN and belair

Saggy

Apr 24, 2019
So without crying over spilt milk or what could have been can someone give us the rundown on Pacey? What is Saginaw getting ? The good, the bad and the ugly please.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
So without crying over spilt milk or what could have been can someone give us the rundown on Pacey? What is Saginaw getting ? The good, the bad and the ugly please.
A defenseman who has improved his gaps substantially over the past couple seasons. Pretty average when it comes to puck movement, prone to making bad decisions. A big part of that could be due to confidence. Apparently believes he was miscast in North Bay, so there may be more there offensively. I've never seen any evidence of it.

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Guskov? Cool. I almost mentioned him before the draft. I figured that London wasn't sitting out the Import Draft. If he reports, he'll put up a lot of points on the top line.

Wow top line billing is great for Guskov and it will be a cheap addition really IF he fills that role? In London he was pretty far down the depth chart the past 2 seasons but he may prosper if given an opportunity? Someone said on the London board he probably was stifled a bit under a system oriented team like Hunters perhaps that is true? Always hate to see them leave but sometimes it works out great for a kid and development after all is what the OHL strives to provide.

Reactions: KnightsWatch

SpezzaNoLookDropPass

May 25, 2016
Wow top line billing is great for Guskov and it will be a cheap addition really IF he fills that role? In London he was pretty far down the depth chart the past 2 seasons but he may prosper if given an opportunity? Someone said on the London board he probably was stifled a bit under a system oriented team like Hunters perhaps that is true? Always hate to see them leave but sometimes it works out great for a kid and development after all is what the OHL strives to provide.
Winslow looks like a real stud since the trade from London, Guskov could definitely do the same

Patricia

Aug 25, 2018
I was thinking the same about Guskov as most on this board - can you get an upgrade on him in the 2nd round of the Import Draft?!? Maybe, but more likely not. I was thinking that maybe his acquisition serves 2 purposes here - immediate scoring help, and a veteran/mentoring presence for whomever NB is looking to bring in with that #1 Import pick. Something's telling me that NB may look to swing for the fences and draft a Russian at #1 - my pick in that case would be Nikita Chibrikov….but hey, I'm no expert right?!? (LOL)

Reactions: belair and LDN

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
Probably many/most have read Brock Otten's recent take on NHL draft eligibles. Here is his assessment of Avery Winslow (ranked as an Honourable Mention), I think it makes for some pretty interesting reading:

HM. Avery Winslow - Defense - North Bay Battalion

If there is one player who was hurt most by the abrupt ending to the OHL season, it may have been Winslow. The Battalion were playing some great hockey and Winslow was looking extremely comfortable following a deal from London at the deadline. He had 9 points in 12 games with North Bay and was seeing considerable ice time in all situations. While it doesn't seem like a lot, those final few games could have given scouts another chance to see him one or two more times. As such, the sample size is just so small and that's why I've got him outside my top 50. But the defender we saw in those games with North Bay was a top 30 ranked OHL'er and not an HM. Another curious thing about Winslow is that he's one of the youngest players eligible this year with a late August birth date. He still has some physical maturation to undergo. At the heart of Winslow's effectiveness is his skating ability. He has a very smooth and effortless stride that allows him to be an aggressive puck mover. But he also showed well in his own zone in North Bay, even if he needs to get stronger to be more effective along the wall and near the crease. This is a kid to REALLY keep an eye on next year when North Bay will be an improved team and he increases his confidence.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I was thinking the same about Guskov as most on this board - can you get an upgrade on him in the 2nd round of the Import Draft?!? Maybe, but more likely not. I was thinking that maybe his acquisition serves 2 purposes here - immediate scoring help, and a veteran/mentoring presence for whomever NB is looking to bring in with that #1 Import pick. Something's telling me that NB may look to swing for the fences and draft a Russian at #1 - my pick in that case would be Nikita Chibrikov….but hey, I'm no expert right?!? (LOL)
Nikita Chibrikov would be nice. Daniil Lazutin would be a home run.

6'2, 174lb center. Comes from a highly athletic background. His mother was a multi-Gold medallist at the Nagano Olympics.

Both of their KHL rights were traded to SKA St Petersburg yesterday.

Last edited:

Patricia

Aug 25, 2018
Where does Vegas want Primeau? We have A LOT of centers.
Good interview with Guskov in the local North Bay news....and the kid is excited about coming here too! Dennis also mentioned something about having him act as a veteran mentor to new Import coming in...and Lazutin (I just watched some video on the kid!) would fit the bill of a "home run" at that #1 pick quite nicely....

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014
A defenseman who has improved his gaps substantially over the past couple seasons. Pretty average when it comes to puck movement, prone to making bad decisions. A big part of that could be due to confidence. Apparently believes he was miscast in North Bay, so there may be more there offensively. I've never seen any evidence of it.
….soft...easily bounced...terrific skater...though...was a forward in minor hockey...

Buttsy

Jul 28, 2015
London
Winslow looks like a real stud since the trade from London, Guskov could definitely do the same

Winslow was tough to see go and I’m sure for Mark and Dale he was hard to let go of. But in reality once London traded for the veterans on the backend he wasn’t going to see the ice enough and the kid has potential to be a real star. Merkley, Phillips, Regula and Skinner were ahead of him in development and skill level. Letting him sit and watch or play Jr B would have killed his development. These decisions are nice to have (means you have to much talent) but it still sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->