North Bay Battalion 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
Let the record show that I am not an apologist for our GM/Coach. I posed a question a couple of weeks ago: should we be rooting for 20th or 16th? The overwhelming response (well, okay, all 2 or 3) was 20th. The team’s objective is now clearer than ever, 1st overall draft choice it is. If this is what the fans seemingly want, then it appears to be at cross purposes to berate every single move that is trying to achieve the objective. Sure, it is disappointing and discouraging to watch. But maybe greater responsibility will help the younger players to grow into their games and roles.

Re: Cam Peters
I agree with SNLDP - 2nd line centre; and with uncle – time to produce. I have liked Cam’s game from Day 1, but, he is over 1/3 of the way into his 2nd season, and is on pace for about 10 points. I know we have questioned his deployment and usage by Coach, and maybe he has been buried at times, but I think a 2nd round, 29th overall selection has to be putting up considerably more than 10 in his 2nd season.

Reactions: Uncle

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Let the record show that I am not an apologist for our GM/Coach. I posed a question a couple of weeks ago: should we be rooting for 20th or 16th? The overwhelming response (well, okay, all 2 or 3) was 20th. The team’s objective is now clearer than ever, 1st overall draft choice it is. If this is what the fans seemingly want, then it appears to be at cross purposes to berate every single move that is trying to achieve the objective. Sure, it is disappointing and discouraging to watch. But maybe greater responsibility will help the younger players to grow into their games and roles.

Re: Cam Peters
I agree with SNLDP - 2nd line centre; and with uncle – time to produce. I have liked Cam’s game from Day 1, but, he is over 1/3 of the way into his 2nd season, and is on pace for about 10 points. I know we have questioned his deployment and usage by Coach, and maybe he has been buried at times, but I think a 2nd round, 29th overall selection has to be putting up considerably more than 10 in his 2nd season.
You can't expect these kids to thrive when directed to play a 1980's style trap game with team defense being the focus. The kids would be fine if they played for a progressive young coach.

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
Windsor Spitfire fan who comes in peace. I read your local North Bay news page and read some of the comments. It seems that all but a few have literally given up going to games and well.....the Battalion in general. It's almost like deja vu....to when the Centennials moved to Saginaw. The Battalion are in no doubt a rebuild, one that has been a lengthy one. The writing is on the wall about Stan Butler and the other coaches......why won't your owner pull the trigger and fire them? .....That is what any other owner in the CHL would do! Start rebuilding top to bottom imho. If not I can see history repeating itself. North Bay citizens do not seem like the most knowledgeable people when it comes to hockey in general.....especially Major JR A Hockey. They don't understand the 4 year cycle, but I do understand their frustrations. Really imho North Bay should have sold off any and all assets last season (Brazz etc.) Battalion should have done so much bettin this previous draft. If that is not dropping the ball.....I don't know what is? Time for the owner to right his ship so to speak before it's too late and North Bay loses once again a OHL franchise.

North Bay citizens do not seem like the most knowledgeable people when it comes to hockey in general.....especially Major JR A Hockey. They don't understand the 4 year cycle, but I do understand their frustrations.

What an ignorant statement! You read one newspaper story and group all citizens as not being knowledgeable about hockey. It is, in fact, the complete opposite. We understand the game and major jr. A very well. We are just tired of an owner who treats his STH and fan base like s**t and a coach who's best before date has expired a long time ago.

I always thought it was a 3 year cycle but I guess I'm just not knowledgeable!!

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
I like that we moved Struthers, amazing or crap return, the move signs commitment to the new approach this year, excited to see more to come and what the players do now that the “big dog” is gone.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

average to above average players average four season, 16-19 or 17-20. Rebuilds generally last 3-4 drafts/4-5 seasons, quicker if occurring with good draft classes. Either way, 4-year cycle seems appropriate.
I’d say NB started their rebuild with the 2001 born, not the season prior where they finished with home ice for the first round. The battalion rebuild should take an average amount of time

Reactions: OHLoutsider2020

SpezzaNoLookDropPass

May 25, 2016
North Bay citizens do not seem like the most knowledgeable people when it comes to hockey in general.....especially Major JR A Hockey. They don't understand the 4 year cycle, but I do understand their frustrations.

What an ignorant statement! You read one newspaper story and group all citizens as not being knowledgeable about hockey. It is, in fact, the complete opposite. We understand the game and major jr. A very well. We are just tired of an owner who treats his STH and fan base like s**t and a coach who's best before date has expired a long time ago.

I’d get the same idea if you read the mass butler apologist on the bay today and Facebook. A majority of them probably don’t understand that squeaking in the playoffs isn’t a success. They don’t see that it’s not sustainable. I don’t care how big of a fan you are watching the same boring hockey with no superstar players gets boring and people will just stop showing up. Sure we had Braz, Wood, Amadio, Dineen, Paul, Blujus and Goodrow but those aren’t 1st round superstars. I’m sure you and I and everyone else that post on HF gets it’s but many people with rose coloured glasses don’t understand. Original poster could have worded differently but I can see the angle he’s going for

Reactions: belair and Olden

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014
..hamstringed by Euros who do not report or lack of talent in some cases(bad import drafting)…..location turns off S On/Usa players...coaching is debatable...this year is a first for all out rebuild...I will give it a year or two when#11..#4...#1 & 31..#25..are 18/19...and high picks report...

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016
..hamstringed by Euros who do not report or lack of talent in some cases(bad import drafting)…..location turns off S On/Usa players...coaching is debatable...this year is a first for all out rebuild...I will give it a year or two when#11..#4...#1 & 31..#25..are 18/19...and high picks report...
Why do you think our location turns players off where in Sudbury and SSM it doesn't seem to?
If anything NB is the easiest and most convenient to get to of the 3 for GTA parents wanting to watch games no?
That's a curious statement to me. I'll hang up and listen to your answer. :popcorn:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Why do you think our location turns players off where in Sudbury and SSM it doesn't seem to?
If anything NB is the easiest and most convenient to get to of the 3 for GTA parents wanting to watch games no?
That's a curious statement to me. I'll hang up and listen to your answer. :popcorn:

the Soo has been getting guys drafted lately. It started with missing playoffs 3 out of 4 seasons. The wolves do not have an easy time getting players to commit. Byfield is the gift of futility. Turn that into success, maybe ...

Last edited:

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
We don't do our due diligence before selecting these players. It's not like we choose them and they wait to go elsewhere in the CHL. Kovacs and Has saw a better development path staying in Europe where they're given the opportunity to play in leagues against grown men. Chytil turned pro immediately after being drafted. The guys who have shown up here have generally been lower end prospects who likely aren't getting those same opportunities. Korpialho was drafted out of Jr B.

Stan's a busy man holding down two jobs here, so I'm assuming that he's not talking to as many player agents as the guys from the Soo or Sudbury.

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016
the Soo has been getting guys drafted lately. It started with missing playoffs 3 out of 4 seasons. The wolves do not have an easy time getting players to commit. Byfield is the gift of futility. Turn that into success, maybe ...
Lately? The Soo has had 29 guys drafted to the NHL in the last 10 drafts. The last time they didn't have a player drafted was 2006.
I don't know for sure but that's gotta be near the top of the league over that stretch.

The original poster said location, not drafting or hockey operations was a turn off. Doesn't make sense unless if course our city is thought to be full of bad people.

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
I spoke to an individual a year or more ago and he appeared to have some knowledge of the situation. He said, as far as he knew, that none of the Priority Selection no report decisions to North Bay (and who knows how many there were?) were geographical in nature.

Note: no verification or attribution, just someone I was chatting with about the team.

Reactions: View from section 9

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014
..just going on our drafts that report compared to good prospects drafted AFTER our top picks!

randomhero4life

Jan 4, 2017
South Detroit

I am only going by past events that have transpired in North Bay (Centennials, Skyhawks, Bulldogs etc.) I read pages of online comments from Baytoday and truthfully it was very telling. Yes I could have worded my statement much better, I do see that many that post on this thread know their hockey, ...but the consensus of citizens seem not to have a clue as to how the cycle works in Junior Hockey. I am in no way trying to stir the pot but it does really seem like North Bay does have a history of not supporting their sports teams. I totally understand the current situation as to why many fans are fed up with ownership and especially Stan Butler, I cannot for the life of me understand why your GM would not fire the relic of a coach? Flint is a great exp. in this case!! Worst team in the league last year in the first half of the season, they hire Wellwood and he totally changes the atmosphere on and off the ice for the players. Now Flint is a strong contender in the West!! The Battalion players need something they can all buy into as a group, the writing is on the wall .....time for Butler to go!

Birddog

Sep 24, 2018
North Bay
Because Abbott seems to think Butler can walk on water. The owner says he never saw a coach who could identify talent as well as Stan. I don't think the owner gets out much.
The Owner has a toy to play with
He loves Stan so that tells you that his hockey IQ is a bit low.

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
"I cannot for the life of me understand why your GM would not fire the relic of a coach?"

Butler is the GM!

Reactions: Olden

randomhero4life

Jan 4, 2017
South Detroit
"I cannot for the life of me understand why your GM would not fire the relic of a coach?"

Butler is the GM!

My bad, Owner I meant. He must live in one heck of a bubble to not see what the majority see's. speaking as hockey fan from South Western Ontario I would love to see the Battalion really rebound and they start getting the fans in the seats @ the Gardens!!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad