North Bay Battalion 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
YIKES

Also Arnsby fought a 6 ft 5 2001 born dman? How did it go?

Last edited:

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016
It's worse now being a Battalion fan than it ever has been to be a Leafs fan.

That implosion tonight vs the preseason consensus worst team in the league has got to be embarrassing. Did our legendary coach get out- coached? Or did the kids stop skating as he usually says.

Kingston got beat badly out of the gate in the first. I'll bet their coach made some first intermission adjustments to badly outplay us for the final 40.

hardclimate

Jan 7, 2015
When they missed the playoffs back in 2016-17, management was using the motto and hashtag “Never Again” - guess what - looks like it’s happening again. Energetic first period, followed by holding pattern second period, followed by another third period collapse. It must be depressing for the players to be not only last in our league but last in the entire CHL. If ever a franchise needed a complete overhaul - this is one.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
When they missed the playoffs back in 2016-17, management was using the motto and hashtag “Never Again” - guess what - looks like it’s happening again. Energetic first period, followed by holding pattern second period, followed by another third period collapse. It must be depressing for the players to be not only last in our league but last in the entire CHL. If ever a franchise needed a complete overhaul - this is one.
This is a very good year to finish last.

Reactions: Bra Wavers

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016
This is a very good year to finish last.
And end up picking the 8th best player in the draft because he will be the best available who is willing to report.
The Fantilli kid already saw the writing on the wall that NB was going to finish last and bailed on his minor midget season in the GTHL for a US prep school. Any bets this is a tactic to avoid NB and go where he wants? (London or another big market, big budget team)

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
And end up picking the 8th best player in the draft because he will be the best available who is willing to report.
The Fantilli kid already saw the writing on the wall that NB was going to finish last and bailed on his minor midget season in the GTHL for a US prep school. Any bets this is a tactic to avoid NB and go where he wants? (London or another big market, big budget team)
No, I believe it was actually because he wished to play with his older brother at Kimball Academy. There's an article about it on Google.

You take BPA at #1 unless it's abundantly clear the player is committed to an NCAA program. The volume of quality assets you can acquire from a team in the GTA is significant when the player refuses to report. The team also receives a quality compensatory pick.

Look at what Flint received for Ryan McLeod--a 3rd overall pick. Three seconds, three thirds and the comp pick that turned into Ty Dellandrea. When you're fortunate enough to draft a star, you take them.

The Import Draft has a couple big names next year as well. Hopefully these guys do their due diligence this year.

Reactions: Uncle

Olden

Nov 25, 2018
We need a major house cleaning. We know that losing our team is gonna happen if they dont.

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016
No, I believe it was actually because he wished to play with his older brother at Kimball Academy. There's an article about it on Google.

You take BPA at #1 unless it's abundantly clear the player is committed to an NCAA program. The volume of quality assets you can acquire from a team in the GTA is significant when the player refuses to report. The team also receives a quality compensatory pick.

Look at what Flint received for Ryan McLeod--a 3rd overall pick. Three seconds, three thirds and the comp pick that turned into Ty Dellandrea. When you're fortunate enough to draft a star, you take them.

The Import Draft has a couple big names next year as well. Hopefully these guys do their due diligence this year.
I agree but history (Coe at #3) that SB takes the best who will report. There were about 8 guys clearly better than Coe that were picked after him in the first round. Keppen, Rees, Tomasino, Clarke, Murray, McMichael, Harley, Robertson, Fowler. Sorry that's 9 off the top of my head whom would have been better picks at #3.

Reactions: Olden

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I agree but history (Coe at #3) that SB takes the best who will report. There were about 8 guys clearly better than Coe that were picked after him in the first round. Keppen, Rees, Tomasino, Clarke, Murray, McMichael, Harley, Robertson, Fowler. Sorry that's 9 off the top of my head whom would have been better picks at #3.
Any stars in that group? Coe was one of the youngest players available in that draft. He has an extra year of eligibility over a number of the guys you mentioned. That was a weak draft year in terms of top-end talent. Both elite level prospects fell because they were both NCAA commits. Hughes and Turcotte were 1/2.

Reactions: Uncle and dirty12

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016

And I'll bet you $1.00 that Fantilli plays in the OHL next year, just no chance that it will be for the North Bay Battalions.

Yes, the import draft is another great opportunity, but if ownership doesn't open their wallet we again will not get the best available. The last 3 we've taken who could have made a huge impact (Chytil, Hugo-Has & Kovacs) had zero intent on coming here. Ever wonder why we don't ever seem to have the full compliment of 2 euros? Same as above.

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016
Any stars in that group? Coe was one of the youngest players available in that draft. He has an extra year of eligibility over a number of the guys you mentioned. That was a weak draft year in terms of top-end talent. Both elite level prospects fell because they were both NCAA commits. Hughes and Turcotte were 1/2.
Any stars? I can see a minimum of 2 off the top of my head who have already signed an ELC.
You'll see some of those names on our World Junior team this year, you know, a hockey Canada event that Coe has never gotten a sniff from. He'll, he will be lucky to get drafted this year, even with the extra year of eligibility that you mentioned.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
And I'll bet you $1.00 that Fantilli plays in the OHL next year, just no chance that it will be for the North Bay Battalions.

Yes, the import draft is another great opportunity, but if ownership doesn't open their wallet we again will not get the best available. The last 3 we've taken who could have made a huge impact (Chytil, Hugo-Has & Kovacs) had zero intent on coming here. Ever wonder why we don't ever seem to have the full compliment of 2 euros? Same as above.
I'm not sure what you mean by opening their wallet. The imports either report or they don't. The team needs to work the phones with the player agents and they need to do it all year. North Bay needs to do a better job of selling the opportunity if they can't get the commitments.

As for Fantilli, if he's not an NCAA commit at the Priority Draft, there's zero reason to pass on him.

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016
I'm not sure what you mean by opening their wallet. The imports either report or they don't. The team needs to work the phones with the player agents and they need to do it all year. North Bay needs to do a better job of selling the opportunity if they can't get the commitments.

As for Fantilli, if he's not an NCAA commit at the Priority Draft, there's zero reason to pass on him.
Import draft is rigged, all about the $$$ where the good guys go.

I agree, I too would take Fantilli even if he does commit to the NCAA, I just don't believe our team will unless he gives them the verbal that he will report. Then he will probably end up like Cam Morrison or Mason Snell and bailing on their verbal commitment once they have a weekend with Stan at the prospect camp in the spring.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Coe was rated to go where NB was picking. Murray and Clarke were near. Some had Tomasino as the best available. The others would have been great picks given hindsight.

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016
Interesting to see that goals against still seems to be haunting the Soo a bit after Propp was traded away. He's been playing much better in Kingston with a weaker team in front of him.
I know we have our own challenges but I noticed this because they were awfully tough on Christian on their board, way worse than any of our fans voicing their displeasure with player A, B or C.
I thought Propp was solid last night and will likely stand on his head should Kingston sneak in to the playoffs.

Reactions: belair and Olden

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016
Coe was rated to go where NB was picking. Murray and Clarke were near. Some had Tomasino as the best available. The others would have been great picks given hindsight.
I heard through the grapevine that Keppen, Rees and Tomasino all said they wouldn't report when contacted by our team. Take it with a grain of salt of course but in hindsight as you noted all 3 of those would have been better players for NB to have.

Samee987

Oct 26, 2014
I heard through the grapevine that Keppen, Rees and Tomasino all said they wouldn't report when contacted by our team. Take it with a grain of salt of course but in hindsight as you noted all 3 of those would have been better players for NB to have.

What kind of players would those 3 be if they had to play under Butler?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad