North Bay Battalion 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

SeniorJuniorFan

Dec 13, 2013
Didn’t make it to the game, just finished the replay, some odds and ends from TV:

All (I believe) power plays featured 4F, 1D to begin. While only producing 1 in 5, this was a refreshing change from the usual and seems to go back to when the 2 Assistants were in charge. However, it’s difficult to imagine they would try this with Coach only out for 1 game, wonder if this had his blessing.

Of 14 scoring points in the game, the first line had 10, proving once again that (in general) if 17,18,25 don’t make it happen, it doesn’t happen.

With a come from behind, overtime, home ice win vs. a 9 win, 22 point team, (although they have played better recently) Battalion didn’t particularly look like a playoff team and (the London miracle aside) they really haven’t for a month or more.

Ethan Keppen, with 22 goals this season, was selected 10th overall in 2017. Brandon Coe, 3rd overall, has 21 total goals.

And, from earlier in the day:

I was in the arena for a walk Thursday morning and the timing happened to coincide with Flint’s game day skate. I stopped to watch twice for a couple of minutes each and both times noticed a coach giving small group instructions. There were 6 skaters in a semi circle shooting on a goalie. The coach was pointing with his stick and hand and showing them what appeared to be blade positioning and angles etc., etc. There was 2 way communication between the coach and players, it wasn’t just a lecture. Of particular note was the fact that, the second time, there were 6-8 Troops standing along the boards watching. Over the course of 5+ seasons of walking afternoons at the arena 2 or 3 times per month I have never seen this type of on ice interaction between Battalion players and coaches. Not saying it doesn’t happen, I just haven’t seen it.

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
Didn’t make it to the game, just finished the replay, some odds and ends from TV:

All (I believe) power plays featured 4F, 1D to begin. While only producing 1 in 5, this was a refreshing change from the usual and seems to go back to when the 2 Assistants were in charge. However, it’s difficult to imagine they would try this with Coach only out for 1 game, wonder if this had his blessing.

Of 14 scoring points in the game, the first line had 10, proving once again that (in general) if 17,18,25 don’t make it happen, it doesn’t happen.

With a come from behind, overtime, home ice win vs. a 9 win, 22 point team, (although they have played better recently) Battalion didn’t particularly look like a playoff team and (the London miracle aside) they really haven’t for a month or more.

Ethan Keppen, with 22 goals this season, was selected 10th overall in 2017. Brandon Coe, 3rd overall, has 21 total goals.

And, from earlier in the day:

I was in the arena for a walk Thursday morning and the timing happened to coincide with Flint’s game day skate. I stopped to watch twice for a couple of minutes each and both times noticed a coach giving small group instructions. There were 6 skaters in a semi circle shooting on a goalie. The coach was pointing with his stick and hand and showing them what appeared to be blade positioning and angles etc., etc. There was 2 way communication between the coach and players, it wasn’t just a lecture. Of particular note was the fact that, the second time, there were 6-8 Troops standing along the boards watching. Over the course of 5+ seasons of walking afternoons at the arena 2 or 3 times per month I have never seen this type of on ice interaction between Battalion players and coaches. Not saying it doesn’t happen, I just haven’t seen it.
Very good points Senior , Wellwood is young and current , while Butler old , outdated and lots of times isn't even on the ice at practice , his flow drills are from the 70/80's , not a wonder they don't look like a playoff team .

LuciferNB

Dec 29, 2018
Last night was the first time that they actually shortened the bench and rolled the top line on every second shift, it should be done more often especially when were losing and on the flip side he should put his checkers on the last minute to preserve the win. Makes no sense putting Brazeau's line out they can't play any defence.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Tell you one thing, it’s looking like a damn good thing you didn’t move Brazeau. Maybe lucky to make the playoffs.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
And I'll te you another thing, it's looking like a damn good thing that UPL is healthy. Maybe lucky if Sudbury gets past the first round otherwise.
Just an observation. By the way we beat Flint 9-2 with a rookie goalie in his FIRST game. What was the score for you guys again? Also Ukko hasn’t had to be a factor in the last couple of games against you guys and you know it. I wasn’t taking a dig st you, just pointing out what many of your fans must agree with. The scoresheet doesn’t lie.

Last edited:

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
Tell you one thing, it’s looking like a damn good thing you didn’t move Brazeau. Maybe lucky to make the playoffs.
Agreed , if your vision is a month or two , but still a huge mistake not to move Braz for the betterment of the next 2 years . FYI..... The Trout, Bulldogs and Colts to a lesser degree are still winning after moving the Studs out. While we are hanging on by our toe nails and still might not make it as you noted.

SpezzaNoLookDropPass

May 25, 2016
Very broad statement , Professional is being paid for a skill or trade . Tell us exactly what you mean by Pro ? NHL,AML,ECHL or Europe ? FYI the ECHL is a step above beer league , but Pro never the less .
Was awaiting your response, I strongly believe he will recieve a contract via the NHL. Leafs have been watching him closely. If not the NHL im confident Europe will be the route a la Jake Smith, he’s got too much Size and Skill to settle for U Sports

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad