North Bay Battalion 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

HashingMARK

Nov 25, 2018
NB making it easy for Barrie to make the playoffs. Out-coached again. Send all these guys to Powassan and find yourself a real coaching unit.

Reactions: The Prophet

SpezzaNoLookDropPass

May 25, 2016
What just happened. Absolutely pathetic probably some of the worst officiating I’ve ever seen what a joke should have won that game. Wood should never show his face at another game.

Reactions: barclayplager

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
If you truly want players to report to your centre, get off this Northern player syndrome and pick the best players available. I watched PC5 at the OHL Cup and he was good. just good. But the scouts were not thinking of this guy as a first rounder. So wtf was NB thinking? He was better off as a third rounder to another centre.
Total agree !

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
Your Cogeco boys are drinking the Kool-Aid about your #5. Their pre-game analysis was a total joke. I hope the Gateway people realize that it was your OHL team that ruined this boy's chances. He should be in Jr B for a year. He cannot skate.
The local hockey folks in the know , would agree with you , draft the kid , but you could have had him in the 2nd or 3rd . Its tough enough being a local , let alone being drafted to high , and expectations then are also to high.

Reactions: Uncle

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
If you truly want players to report to your centre, get off this Northern player syndrome and pick the best players available. I watched PC5 at the OHL Cup and he was good. just good. But the scouts were not thinking of this guy as a first rounder. So wtf was NB thinking? He was better off as a third rounder to another centre.
I’m no scout but I do my share of reading/watching and when I saw local boy slotted late first round/early second round + nb slotted at 8th pick I knew they’d make that reach. It was like a slow painful car crash leading up to the draft.

HashingMARK

Nov 25, 2018
The local hockey folks in the know , would agree with you , draft the kid , but you could have had him in the 2nd or 3rd . Its tough enough being a local , let alone being drafted to high , and expectations then are also to high.
Not to mention the pressure on this 16 year old kid. It's obvious that this hockey centre loves their hometown boys and their team. Hockey fans everywhere want the best for him. We all want North Bay to keep their team. I agree with your comments. Hopefully, next year will be a go more smoothly for PC#5.

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
Not to mention the pressure on this 16 year old kid. It's obvious that this hockey centre loves their hometown boys and their team. Hockey fans everywhere want the best for him. We all want North Bay to keep their team. I agree with your comments. Hopefully, next year will be a go more smoothly for PC#5.
Hopefully Butler doesn't rip the heart out of the kid , every 1st rounder here got worse as the years went bye .....every one !

Reactions: View from section 9

HashingMARK

Nov 25, 2018
What if we don't make the playoffs ? after NOT trading Braz .........Jesus Christ what a disaster !!
It really is a disaster. This team is trying too much with an 6 - 8th place team. Shorten your bench and win the points you know you can attain in the last 20 games of the season. It appears that SB is rolling his 4 O lines and 3 D lines with no care about who the opposition has on the rink. The Sting are chuckling in the changeroom after that one.

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014
#5 skates pretty well for having all those staples in his hockey pants...#3 gives me the willys..#20 too....love #7....he is coming along well I think!

HashingMARK

Nov 25, 2018
#5 skates pretty well for having all those staples in his hockey pants...
Huh? What does that mean? There are no excuses for that kind of skating. He would be cut from most Jr. A teams in the Greater Toronto area. Give it a rest. Get real with this kid. Do it now. You've already wasted a year of his development.

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
5 should not be playing at this level, would have been better down for a year but they kept him; so play him limited minutes in situations that will help him develop: opposition zone 5 on 5 when they have a lead. At this point he is slow moving, slow reacting and intimidated out there.
Can they put a winger on the 1st line to take draws then switch. How can you be a 1st line center and never be close to 50%.

Reactions: HashingMARK

HashingMARK

Nov 25, 2018
#5 skates pretty well for having all those staples in his hockey pants...#3 gives me the willys..#20 too....love #7....he is coming along well I think!
NB is one of the worst skating teams in the OHL. Bad skating is allowed for some unknown reason with NBs trap system. I agree about your 01 skater #7. Nice player but young. You have speed that is underutilized, #25, 21, 10, 23, 22 and 7 can all skate. 17 is a slow as a tank. it will cost him a pro contract. 18 can skate but gives up the puck too often and can't win a face-off. He turns over the puck more than any other player. It will cost him a pro contract as well. NBs best hope for a pro is 21. He is selfish by holding the puck too often. It's almost like he doesn't trust his line mates. Use your line. If 21 learns to be a defensive styled player going the other way, he wouldn't be a minus 25 player either. Propp kept you in this game again. Why oh why OS didn't keep him. We like Lyle but need a veteran goalie more.

HashingMARK

Nov 25, 2018
I'll go away now. I know I sound like a troll. I am not. I like good hockey development and I like following the OHL. I am completely confused by what North Bay is doing.

HashingMARK

Nov 25, 2018
Stan needs to go
Yup. And I don't like agreeing with you on this. Stan Butler is an icon in this league. But he needs to finds a coaching staff that
knows how to shorten the bench and use the best 10 players, 6 F and 4 D when the game needs to be won. And for god's sake, stop this excessive
promotion of 17 and your desire to please euro players. 3 can't skate. Listen to Sudbury. Medium puck ability doesn't work when you are a horrible skater. Wolves fans are still laughing at that trade. As for Justin Brazeau, he doesn't need North Bay promoting him. Everybody in all leagues can see him with 20-20 vision.

SpezzaNoLookDropPass

May 25, 2016
Yup. And I don't like agreeing with you on this. Stan Butler is an icon in this league. But he needs to finds a coaching staff that
knows how to shorten the bench and use the best 10 players, 6 F and 4 D when the game needs to be won. And for god's sake, stop this excessive
promotion of 17 and your desire to please euro players. 3 can't skate. Listen to Sudbury. Medium puck ability doesn't work when you are a horrible skater. Wolves fans are still laughing at that trade. As for Justin Brazeau, he doesn't need North Bay promoting him. Everybody in all leagues can see him with 20-20 vision.
You’re right that Stan is an icon and all respect to him but the game has evolved and left him behind. A dedicated skating coach probably wouldn’t be the worse idea.

Reactions: HashingMARK

INTENTIONALLYOFFSIDE

Feb 20, 2017
I partially agree with you regarding Stan. His methods are outdated, in fact, some of the things I have heard regarding practices, off-ice training and meals makes me wonder how they win any games. But that is for another day.
Know one thing though, Stan’s style is not enjoyable or sometimes even successful in the regular season. His style is built for the playoffs. At the end of the day, defense wins championships.
However, this year is a write-off; Stan’s absence for the first half set the team back and I don’tknow if they can recover.
Lastly, if you understood the economics of this team, you would know that a skating coach, skills coach, strength coach, nutritionist etc… all takes money out of Stan’s pocket. Until that is changed or a new coach and arrangement is made, nothing will ever change.

SpezzaNoLookDropPass

May 25, 2016
I partially agree with you regarding Stan. His methods are outdated, in fact, some of the things I have heard regarding practices, off-ice training and meals makes me wonder how they win any games. But that is for another day.
Know one thing though, Stan’s style is not enjoyable or sometimes even successful in the regular season. His style is built for the playoffs. At the end of the day, defense wins championships.
However, this year is a write-off; Stan’s absence for the first half set the team back and I don’tknow if they can recover.
Lastly, if you understood the economics of this team, you would know that a skating coach, skills coach, strength coach, nutritionist etc… all takes money out of Stan’s pocket. Until that is changed or a new coach and arrangement is made, nothing will ever change.
Glad we’re agreeing here, yes defence does win championships and this is a system designed to shut it down and frustrate opponents in the playoffs but in order for said system to thrive we have to able it to make it there first. The lack of individual development is what’s most concerning, the off player does thrive in this system but we have players like #21 and #23 just oozing skill but require proper coaching to get it going. With a proper coaching and 1st line minutes i see player like #21 Coe tearing it up next year

Uncle

Jun 26, 2017
I hate how the only defence of Stan is that “he is an icon in this league”. Hockey is a game of results. Playoffs... great, not that much of an accomplishment. His style is outdated and I can’t imagine many enjoy playing for his trap defensive system.

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
A skating coach at age 17 or 18 is little late , minimum benefit by then .
Now the money .......... Butler fired the paid trainer this summer , and his replacement is a volunteer .... have to agree with you on this one.

The Prophet

Apr 6, 2016
Stan really went after the refs in the hall way after the game smashing the glass and whatever drew a decent crowd
Well that's professional of our GM/coach , the parents of the young prospects this spring , cant wait for their son's name to be called by the Troops.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad