North American Hockey League - Main Discussion Thread

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
The year is 2011. With the recent break up of the National Hockey League due to inept management, the world for the first time in almost 100 years, was without hockey.

The creation of a new league began at the hands of one NYsportsfan6230. He had a vision of reviving some of the collapsed teams from the NHL and bringing them back to life in the North American Hockey League (NAHL). His idea, unlike the NHL, was to expand teams based on previous GM merit and potential city profitability

So, in March 2011, the North American Hockey League was formed with NYsportsfan6230 leading the charge. He wanted to get the league going from phase 1. He decided to pull 8 of the best GM's from the NHL over to the NAHL in order to begin the basis of a new league.

Basic Rundown​

Phase 1 - Fantasy Draft
  • There will be a fantasy draft of 20 rounds, with 8 teams picking per round.
  • The draft order will be snaked.
  • The fantasy draft will be used to fill out the NAHL rosters.
  • Any players that are not drafted in the fantasy draft will be put into free agency.
  • GM's that decide on their club will inherit their team's real life farm system.

Phase 2 - Commencement of the 2010-2011 Season
  • The season picks up 2 weeks before the trade deadline.
  • ALL TRADES MUST BE SENT TO ME FOR APPROVAL PRIOR TO BEING ACCEPTED.
  • Teams will use this time to mold their team before the playoff run.

Phase 3 - Playoffs
  • Since it is a small league, originally all teams will begin in the playoffs.
  • Teams will be divided based on Eastern and Western Conference Standings with divisions added in as more teams join the league.
  • Playoff rounds will be determined based off votes.

Phase 3 - Offseason
  • The offseason will then commence.
  • The NHL Entry draft will be held using the 2011 draft class.
  • Free Agency then follows, again using the 2011 free agent class.

AGENTS:
Forwards:Ovechkin007
Defensemen:
Goalies: NYSportsFan6230

Things of Note

The plan is, as the league continues to grow (assuming that it remains active) teams will begin to be added based on previous GM merit and likelihood of staying active. I hoping having a small core of GM's will make the league very active and then it will be easier to add more teams through an expansion draft.

I have commissioned Ovechkin007 to help me run the league due to my busy schedule.

The GM's have been PM'd by me already. If you have recieved a PM, please post your team choice, otherwise if you are interested in taking up the last couple of spots, or being a potential expansion teamm please PM me or post it in here.

I am also open to starting the league with 10 teams depending on the quality of the two added posters, but 10 would be the absolute maximum to begin with.

Best of luck to the participants.

Last edited:

Charlie Milles*

I'll take Montreal.

EDIT: Need a PM? Didn't get one :cry:. If there are any spots left, I'll take one.

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
What are the chances of this starting tonight?

I think we have about 7 people that I am waiting for some people to post their teams. I want at least 8 so hopefully if the last person gets back to me today then we can start tonight.

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
I'll take Montreal.

EDIT: Need a PM? Didn't get one :cry:. If there are any spots left, I'll take one.

Right now I don't have any spots open. I have about all 8 spots filled up, and I have already turned a few people away.

You may be able to come back if we start expanding teams, otherwise I'll let you know if a spot opens up at the beginning of the game.

Charlie Milles*

Right now I don't have any spots open. I have about all 8 spots filled up, and I have already turned a few people away.

You may be able to come back if we start expanding teams, otherwise I'll let you know if a spot opens up at the beginning of the game.
Alright, sounds good.

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
I may have gone overboard in a moment of recruiting angst.

I said that I wanted 8 people to be in the game, but do you guys mind if we have 10 people?

The only difference would be with playoff seeding, instead of all teams making the playoffs, one team from each Conference would eliminated.

It also appears we may be top heavy on Eastern Conference teams so I may need to rearrange the conferences.

Is everyone alright going to 10 people though?

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
What is this? NY changing rules after a game starts? Blasphemy. :naughty:

cta-instigator.jpg

New York RKY

Let's Go Rangers!
Sep 6, 2009
Arizona
We are also going to need to decide on a salary cap number.

The teams are going to be pretty stacked so the salary cap will have to be higher, obviously.

I was going to wait until the other people confirmed their team but if people want to start throwing around number I'm all ears. I already have a general idea of what I want the cap number to be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad