Norris Discussion III

Gio4PM

Nov 4, 2014
I think had Gio put up ~55 pts or more in 82 games, he'd be the frontrunner. He's very good defensively and that would probably have been enough to make up any difference in pts this year. My guess is he would have had no problem doing that, so I agree, but you never know. Weber is a great example of a guy that isn't a pts producer having a big drought. Not sure that's ever happened to Weber before either.

55 would be 7 more points over 21 games and therefore would be pretty doable for Giordano. Mind you, that would be such a decrease from his previous production, it might impact perception of his overall year.

Dick Whitman

Feb 15, 2008
Ottawa
55 would be 7 more points over 21 games and therefore would be pretty doable for Giordano. Mind you, that would be such a decrease from his previous production, it might impact perception of his overall year.

He just got Bob McKenzie's vote according to the twitter:

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie
My Norris winner, playing in only 61 games, is CGY's Mark Giordano. Before CGY fans applaud, I voted OTT's Mark Stone for Calder (rookie).

Gio4PM

Nov 4, 2014
He just got Bob McKenzie's vote according to the twitter:

Flames fans would have happily traded those votes. No way Gio is even close but Johnny v. Stone will be tight (I think Ekblad might just run up the middle).

Do Calder and Norris get weighted first/second/third votes?

Dick Whitman

Feb 15, 2008
Ottawa
Flames fans would have happily traded those votes. No way Gio is even close but Johnny v. Stone will be tight (I think Ekblad might just run up the middle).

Do Calder and Norris get weighted first/second/third votes?

I thought most of the awards had 1/2/3 voting. Meh. Whoever wins will win, but all players in contention/consideration have had ridiculously awesome seasons and that won't ever be taken away... Unless HGH, I guess.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I thought most of the awards had 1/2/3 voting. Meh. Whoever wins will win, but all players in contention/consideration have had ridiculously awesome seasons and that won't ever be taken away... Unless HGH, I guess.

I think they have voting all the way down to 5 actually. but the points are heavily tilted towards the first vote. It is crucial to have more firsts than whoever else is in the running.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
They have 5 votes. 10pts for 1st, 7 for 2nd, 5 for 3rd, 3 for 4th, and 1 for 5th I believe.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
ill give it to Karlsson because Ottawa made the playoffs, but imo its pretty close between him and Subban.

voting 1st for Gio is absolutely ridiculous, he missed 1/4th of the season. had he played the entire he probably woulda been the frontrunner but unfortunately he didnt.

JFG

Mar 14, 2012
Has a lot of journalists revealed how they voted? The clear consensus on HFboards seem to be that Karlsson will win it but the few links posted here has suggested other candidates (NHL.com had Doughty I believe, and some Habs oriented site argumented on behalf of Subban).

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Has a lot of journalists revealed how they voted? The clear consensus on HFboards seem to be that Karlsson will win it but the few links posted here has suggested other candidates (NHL.com had Doughty I believe, and some Habs oriented site argumented on behalf of Subban).

A few has..these I know of for sure

James Mirtle has Karlsson
Eric Duhatschek has Doughty
McKenzie has Giordano
Elliote Friedman has one of Karlsson/Doughty/Subban

so there's three voters with three different players with a possibility of 4 different... I think it could be really close in the end.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I believe McKenzie confirmed he voted Giordano for the Norris (and Stone for Calder).

Here it is

marvelousmotion

Nov 29, 2003
Visit site
Too bad Giordano got injured, he was easily the front-runner for me. I don't think Subban should win it; he's played good enough to be among the finalists discussions, but not special enough to win it. I'd give Karlsson a slight edge as he contributed to the Sens' playoffs push. If we could take into consideration the playoffs, Karlsson has been the better D so far, no doubt about it.

Super Cake

Jun 24, 2013
I think Karlsson and Subban will be the two of the finalists. I don't know who is going to be the third one. Giordano maybe?

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
It's funny that a ton of people discredit Karlsson before his team made the playoffs because he hadn't played well in the first 20-25 games of the season or because there was a strong chance his team wouldn't make the playoffs. Yet, Giordano (who missed a quarter of the season) is apparently a first place vote for a media member and Doughty (who's team missed the playoffs) is a first place vote for another media member? What the ****?

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
If it had only been based on the last 40 games of the regular season, noone would be close to Karlsson.

But over 82 games this season will be extremely close. There are like 5-6 players that could win, have no idea who it will be though.

My top-3 are...
Karlsson, Josi and.....Giordano....but perhaps his injury put him out of contention. Then Subban.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
I believe McKenzie confirmed he voted Giordano for the Norris (and Stone for Calder).

Here it is

Isn't that a big of a waste of a vote if no one else is going to give it to Gio? That means his 2nd place vote gets a big help in scoring?

It's fun to play what if and wonder if the flames would've made the playoffs if Gio was healthy. Could've changed the balance of everything.

Mc5RingsAndABeer

5-14-6-1
May 25, 2011
I don't understand. MTL fans are saying that their entire team is Price but somehow they also have a Norris-calibre Dman on the roster?

This is Karlsson. Giordano is 2nd (and I'm an Oilers fan). Subban is probably 4th or 5th but might get a nomination because it's Montreal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->