noob needs some tips

datsyukianLIKE

Dec 29, 2010
kalamazoo michigan
i started to play hockey about a year ago and then just took a 3 month break i just had a baby...i went to drop in yesterday and did pretty bad i was all nervous and i was doing horriable so i just stuck to playing a far back d man any tips for me i have limited ice time anything i try off ice dosent seem to work for me when im on the ice drill wise

doobie604

Jan 19, 2007
congrats on the baby. it's hard to play again when you been off for so long, but i would suggest playing wing instead of d. because playing d is pretty hard compare to the wing, and you need to be one of the better backwards skater on the team. a lot of noobs would sit back but thats the worst thing to do when you're do, attacking forwards can burn you just by going wide. it takes a bit of time to get your skating legs back, so i wouldn't worry too much about it other than get as much ice time as you can.

Trojan35

Jan 11, 2007
if you can't skate from your own goal line to the opponent's blue-line and back, you should work on your conditioning. that'll help your enjoyment of the game immensely.

jorbjorb

hello.
Dec 28, 2010
try and enroll for some adult conditioning and skating camps in your area if you can find it

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Well if you just started playing a year ago and haven't played in a few months and go to drop in (usually full of former high school players), you're going to get schooled. Nothing to be ashamed of.

I would try to go to stick and puck or early morning open ice, or if you have frozen ponds outside go to those. Skate until you get your legs under you, work on your turns, stops, and crossovers. If there's a game of shinny, join in. It's great for passing, skating with your head up, and stickhandling. Get 20-30 pucks and shoot at an empty net for an hour. Just make a list of what you need to improve and practice.

tomsteve

Dec 20, 2010
west branch,mi
well, i know we are having a warm spell here in michigan that is making outdoor rinks nasty, but once the temps get down again, maybe find an outdoor rink in the area to go practice on and work on conditioning. or, build a rink in your yard, if possible!! get the youngen started early!!

also, this site has some good drills to practice.

http://howtohockey.com/.

i like the user name!! datsyuk rocks!

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->