Nonis is "appalled" by Finns

Status
Not open for further replies.

SChan*

sounds like the finns might want him to play through injury. Nonis would probably go crazy if he knew that.

Padawan

Former power tripper
Dec 31, 2002
Jyvaskyla, Finland
www.jypht.fi
The story doesn't mention when he asked. Could it be that when he asked, Team Finland management didn't even know Salo's situation? Obviously Salo is an important part of the team and Team Finland management are hoping he could play but if he can't he will be sent home.

Pepper

Aug 30, 2004
AFAIK not even Team Finland knew severity of Salo's injury earlier today.

If Salo felt it's serious enough he would have left the team immediately, obviously he wants to play if possible at all.

BCCHL inactive

So what if Finland didn't know how serious his injury was. That doesn't mean you don't contact his club.

It's all about communication here, and the Fins have clearly dropped the ball. It's not that hard to call the Canucks and say, "Hey, Sami is hurt, we don't know how bad, he may or may not be able to play against Russia."

That's all that was needed.

psycho_dad*

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, N.B
Visit site
Van said:
So what if Finland didn't know how serious his injury was. That doesn't mean you don't contact his club.

It's all about communication here, and the Fins have clearly dropped the ball. It's not that hard to call the Canucks and say, "Hey, Sami is hurt, we don't know how bad, he may or may not be able to play against Russia."

That's all that was needed.

Canucks knew he got hurt, otherwise this article would not exist. So they have been informed he is hurt, just not how badly. Maybe because they don't know it yet. Are you guys seriously suggesting that Westerlund would be calling Nonis every half an hour for an update, saying "we still do not know", while he is preparing for the olympics semifinal game which comes up tomorrow?

They have been informed that he is hurt. They will be informed how badly. What on earth is the problem?

"OMG OMG TEAM FINLAND DID NOT PUT UP A 24/7 HOTLINE FOR VANCOUVER GM, INSTEAD THE ******** ARE PREPARING FOR SOME MEANINGLESS GAME AND ONLY UPDATING WHEN THEY GET NEW INFO!!"

:shakehead

Didn't occur to anyone that Team Finland might want to keep their lineup a bit of a secret for tomorrows game??

If the guy is hurt and does not want to play, nobody will force him to.

Liquidrage*

Breakings News:
NHL GM upset over injured player at the Olympics.

Newflash:
Grown man injured. Other men worried.

News Alert:
Finnish team not overly concerned with thoughts of Vancouver GM Nonis

I personally don't care about Nonis or what word he gets from the Finnish team. He doesn't own Salo. Salo plays for a team he managed. Salo is doing something else right now. Salo can comminicate back to Nonis. I'm pretty sure Salo isn't locked up in a room without a cellphone.
As a Flyers fan, I was pissed that Pitkanen didn't go over and play. He was healthy enough to play for the Flyers, he should be healthy enough to play for his damn country.

The NHL GM's and coaches are doing their damn best to tell everyone else that the Olympics don't matter a damn bit. And based on the quality of play, I'd say the Canadians and Americans bought into that hook line and sinker.

Nonis has been disrespected. Shocking he would say that.

edd1e

Sep 11, 2004
Helsinki, Finland
You know patience is a virtue. :)

It's a bit different situation than Ohlund.. Salo still might be able to play.

Have some respect over Salo, it's his decision after all.

MaV

Jun 23, 2002
Van said:

Maybe they didn't think that is what is expected from them, after it hasn't worked the other way around with NHL teams in the weeks leading to this tournament?

BCCHL inactive

psycho_dad said:
Canucks knew he got hurt, otherwise this article would not exist. So they have been informed he is hurt, just not how badly. Maybe because they don't know it yet. Are you guys seriously suggesting that Westerlund would be calling Nonis every half an hour for an update, saying "we still do not know", while he is preparing for the olympics semifinal game which comes up tomorrow?

Just because they don't know the seriousness doesn't mean they can't contact Nonis to let him know. Like I said, it's all about communication. It cannot be that hard to call the Canucks and tell them they will update him when they know more. It is a national team's duty to update their players' clubs if their status is in question. The clubs are the teams who pay these guys to play.

psycho_dad said:
Didn't occur to anyone that Team Finland might want to keep their lineup a bit of a secret for tomorrows game??

How would calling the Vancouver Canucks compromise that? It's not like calling the Canucks is releasing a media statement.

Gozer

Sep 22, 2005
Västerås
Van said:
Just because they don't know the seriousness doesn't mean they can't contact Nonis to let him know. Like I said, it's all about communication. It cannot be that hard to call the Canucks and tell them they will update him when they know more. It is a national team's duty to update their players' clubs if their status is in question. The clubs are the teams who pay these guys to play.

How would calling the Vancouver Canucks compromise that? It's not like calling the Canucks is releasing a media statement.

Do you know that for a fact? I've heard it's on the players responsibility to inform their teams. :dunno:

lennie

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
Liquidrage said:
Breakings News:
NHL GM upset over injured player at the Olympics.

Newflash:
Grown man injured. Other men worried.

News Alert:
Finnish team not overly concerned with thoughts of Vancouver GM Nonis

I personally don't care about Nonis or what word he gets from the Finnish team. He doesn't own Salo. Salo plays for a team he managed. Salo is doing something else right now. Salo can comminicate back to Nonis. I'm pretty sure Salo isn't locked up in a room without a cellphone.
As a Flyers fan, I was pissed that Pitkanen didn't go over and play. He was healthy enough to play for the Flyers, he should be healthy enough to play for his damn country.

The NHL GM's and coaches are doing their damn best to tell everyone else that the Olympics don't matter a damn bit. And based on the quality of play, I'd say the Canadians and Americans bought into that hook line and sinker.

Nonis has been disrespected. Shocking he would say that.

Sorry I think you are wrong on this one.

Sami Salo is an employee of the Vancouver Canucks. An employee that the Canucks have millions of dollars invested in. Dave Nonis effectively runs this company.

Dave Nonis and the Vancouver Canucks have every right to know every detail of Salo's injury.

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
lennie said:

Sami Salo is an employee of the Vancouver Canucks. An employee that the Canucks have millions of dollars invested in. Dave Nonis effectively runs this company.

Dave Nonis and the Vancouver Canucks have every right to know every detail of Salo's injury.
Perhaps Dave can head on over and hold his hand instead of lounging on a beach with Kipper in Hawaii.

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
lennie said:

Agreed

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
What a dope. Doesn't he understand the only thing that matters in hockey happens every 4 years.

He's acting like he's got something at stake if Sami Salo is going to be out for a long time.

It's not like he would be calling around to see who is available to replace him in a trade if Salo is going to be out for the season.

Like all spoiled North American's he's probably sitting on his Yacht, collecting his millions and working on his tan.

Last edited:

SwisshockeyAcademy

Dec 11, 2002
Visit site
sarge88 said:
What a dope. Doesn't he understand the only thing that matters in hockey happens every 4 years.

He's acting like he's got something at stake if Sami Salo is going to be out for a long time.

It's not like he would be calling around to see who is available to replace him in a trade if Salo is going to be out for the season.

Like all spoiled American's he's probably sitting on his Yacht, collecting his millions and working on his tan.
Sarge , you have added sarcasm to your repertoire. Sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad