OT: Non Ski Resort Thread. | OT in all its glory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Wowwwwww, I can't even describe how good it is right now...been a Raptors fan since Day One, was in the arena when Vince dropped 50 (crazy to think that it happened pre-911), went to games when they had temporary scaffolding in the skydome.....man there's so much joy and relief.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Living downtown near Granville I'm surprised its so noisy still, I mean there was a break out of "Oh Canada" just a few minutes ago. For a Toronto team people really jumped on the bandwagon.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
We The North!!!

I've been a long time Raptors fan, ever since about game 5 of the Philly series this year. It's been a long time coming!

Seriously though, I actually really enjoyed watching them these playoffs. I'm the definition of a bandwagon Raptors fan, and I'll own it. I don't even really like basketball all that much, but I did enjoy following their run this year and watching the games.

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
i burst into laughter when i heard on twitter that there were celebrations on scott road

It’s actually great in a way.

Even though a Toronto based sports team won, Canadians outside the GTA will celebrate the win like a victory for Canada......and not a victory solely for Toronto.

This by in itself should irritate some Torontonians.

Sweet. I’m game if something has a shot at remotely pissing off Toronto.

I might be on board with this “Canadian Raptors” mindset.

Way to go Canada! :lol:

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
Toronto thrives on the Canada's team BS because everything revolves around their city, so they love it.

Just have to be the center of attention, always.

Toronto is the centre of the universe

I really don't care much for basketball but I wonder if this gets the NBA thinking about another canadian team again. Aquilini is in diversifying mood in other sports right now (acquisition of NLL, OWL teams and acquiring perhaps the largest esports organization in NA) so it might be appealing to him.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Toronto is the centre of the universe

I really don't care much for basketball but I wonder if this gets the NBA thinking about another canadian team again. Aquilini is in diversifying mood in other sports right now (acquisition of NLL, OWL teams and acquiring perhaps the largest esports organization in NA) so it might be appealing to him.
Rogers is getting up there is age now. They likely would want a new arena. Easy to spend money as an owner if the money is flowing in by the buttucketfull. Will Aquaman put up the cash himself for a new arena as I don't think a subsidized building is going to fly in this city when you see the numbers of homeless around.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
Ironic that so many people in Vancouver whine about a Toronto-centric media view, when literally everything in BC revolves around the Lower Mainland, and specifically Vancouver. The Canucks just dropped "we're British Columbia's team" with the jersey releases. Really? There are way more Oilers and Flames fans in NE BC than Canucks fans. Raindrops? Because of all the rain in Kamloops?

But it's an easy marketing ploy to try and create a perception of fan unity. Huge props to the Raptors for pulling it off. There was a 4,000 person viewing party in Edmonton last night for an NBA game. That's f***ing awesome and I wouldn't have believed it to be possible 5 years ago. Bars were open way later because of the Raptors. It was incredible. I question whether anyone hating on that is actually a sports fan. Maybe just too jaded from how dogshit the Canucks and Vancouver sports are?

It was enjoyable as hell to watch a team I truly support win for the first time in my life. Sports can be fun to watch!!

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
So give GS a healthy Durant and they win....in 7???? They pushed this to 6 with a banged up Klay and no KD. They would win in 5 with both healthy, max.

I think the dubs are the better team at full strength, but Kawhi was playing hurt too. I think with both teams healthy, the Warriors beat the Raptors in 6.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I’ve never been a fan of basketball, but I’ve always felt for the Grizzlies fans and basketball fans in the lower mainland area who lost their team when ownership pulled all of this ridiculous shenanigans to move the team to Memphis.

Basketball still has a huge following province and nation wide - up here in the North, it’s immensely popular with the First Nations communities. It would be great to see basketball expand in Canada again - whether that means Vancouver getting another NBA franchise or not.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I’m both a Blue Jays and a Raptors fan and hate that I’m a Blue Jay and Raptor fan.

It isn’t because they’re Canadian or ‘Canada’s Team’. It’s because they’re the only team in those sports where all of their games are available on TV. They’re easy to follow. You get constant updates on all the news surrounding the team. You have the brilliant Blue Jays/Raptors in 30 show that makes it even easier to follow the team without a lot of effort. And when it’s easy to follow the team, you get emotionally involved in the players and the storylines.

It makes much more sense to be a Trail Blazers fan but good luck trying to follow that team or watch more than 1 game out of 10. Likewise, the Mariners have done a terrible job promoting their franchise in this market.

So on one hand, go Raptors. But on the other hand, it makes me cringe every time the Canada’s Team thing is mentioned.

Reactions: Wilch

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I’ve never been a fan of basketball, but I’ve always felt for the Grizzlies fans and basketball fans in the lower mainland area who lost their team when ownership pulled all of this ridiculous shenanigans to move the team to Memphis.

Basketball still has a huge following province and nation wide - up here in the North, it’s immensely popular with the First Nations communities. It would be great to see basketball expand in Canada again - whether that means Vancouver getting another NBA franchise or not.
Stu Jackson made Jim Benning seem like Sam Pollack.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I’m both a Blue Jays and a Raptors fan and hate that I’m a Blue Jay and Raptor fan.

It isn’t because they’re Canadian or ‘Canada’s Team’. It’s because they’re the only team in those sports where all of their games are available on TV. They’re easy to follow. You get constant updates on all the news surrounding the team. You have the brilliant Blue Jays/Raptors in 30 show that makes it even easier to follow the team without a lot of effort. And when it’s easy to follow the team, you get emotionally involved in the players and the storylines.

It makes much more sense to be a Trail Blazers fan but good luck trying to follow that team or watch more than 1 game out of 10. Likewise, the Mariners have done a terrible job promoting their franchise in this market.

So on one hand, go Raptors. But on the other hand, it makes me cringe every time the Canada’s Team thing is mentioned.

I think this is a fair take, as someone who really doesn't understand the cheering for "Canadas" team when it is not like a lot of them actually are Canadians. However I have no qualms if someone cheers for them for other reasons, I just don't get the Canada Love fest when last time I had a team here they were our rivals. I mean if we lost the Nucks, I am sure as hell not cheering for the leafs!

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I think this is a fair take, as someone who really doesn't understand the cheering for "Canadas" team when it is not like a lot of them actually are Canadians. However I have no qualms if someone cheers for them for other reasons, I just don't get the Canada Love fest when last time I had a team here they were our rivals. I mean if we lost the Nucks, I am sure as hell not cheering for the leafs!

This is what pisses me off. I know I should hate all Toronto teams forever after 2011 but have been brainwashed because of how easy their teams are to follow.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

It makes much more sense to be a Trail Blazers fan
but good luck trying to follow that team or watch more than 1 game out of 10. Likewise, the Mariners have done a terrible job promoting their franchise in this market.

No it doesn't.

Following the team that is easiest for you to follow is the reason why 90% of people are fans of their team. It doesn't make "sense" to be a fan of the Canucks just becaue you were born in BC any moreso than it makes "sense" to cheer for the Raptors because you were born in Canada.

I grew up in Kelowna. I wasn't attending any Canucks games. I was a fan of them for the exact seam reason you (and I) are fans of the Jays; they are the team that was always on TV and received the most coverage. It's literally no different.

Reactions: vancityluongo

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
No it doesn't.

Following the team that is easiest for you to follow is the reason why 90% of people are fans of their team. It doesn't make "sense" to be a fan of the Canucks just becaue you were born in BC any moreso than it makes "sense" to cheer for the Raptors because you were born in Canada.

I grew up in Kelowna. I wasn't attending any Canucks games. I was a fan of them for the exact seam reason you (and I) are fans of the Jays; they are the team that was always on TV and received the most coverage. It's literally no different.

Normally the team you’re closest to is the one you have best access to. And the one you can see games in person easiest. We’re in this weird place - and it’s probably the only situation like it in sports - where that isn’t the case.

I grew up in Port Alberni. So same thing. I saw 2 Canucks games in person while I was a kid. But that was still the team that was closest and the one I would see in person.

I just resent being told I’m cheering for Canada instead of convenience.

Also glad to see you back. This board needs you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad