Non-Sharks Bay Area Sports Thread XXVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
Don't pull a Shorks and take Mac Jones or something.

I'm okay with Wilson/Fields, but IMO Shanahan wants MAC-10. In Shanahan offenses, the Shanahan is the star and the QB is the avatar. So, the focus is less on improvisation/creativity and more on precisely executing orders while under duress. I think he said something similar 4 years ago - he looks at a QB's eyes and fearlessless in executing the required throw.

Reactions: Sandisfan

JeremyTB

Mar 16, 2007
Jets traded Darnold to the Panthers eliminating that long shot of Wilson falling to 3 for the Niners. Please let us draft Fields!. I would even be ok with Lance.

Reactions: BigDmitriy

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
Kind of interesting parallel: Why I Drafted Jay Cutler, and What Happened from There

Replace Plummer with Jimmy G
Replace Mike with Kyle
Replace Sundquist with Lynch

I guess in 2021, the lesson Lynch learned is to trade up so bossman can draft his favorite (Leinart equivalent).
Sundquist brought Lynch to Denver, so maybe Lynch reached out to his old GM for advice.

And from the article, other lessons may include: don't expect all the credit, but standby to take the fall if needed. :oops:

sjsharks92

Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
Even if Shanahan believes Mac Jones is the perfect QB for his offense, how could the 49ers possibly pass up the opportunity to draft Lance or Fields? Both of which are QBs with far higher ceilings than Jones. More athleticism and stronger arms. Seems to me if Shanahan can coach up Jones in his offense, he should have even more at his disposal with Fields or Lance running things.

Taking Jones because he fits the offense better would be the equivalent of choosing Kirk Cousins over Josh Allen or Patrick Mahomes. And I'm not saying Lance or Fields are Allen or Mahomes, just that their physical profiles match up a helluva lot better with the elite QBs in today's game than Jones does.

I mean its honestly so obvious I'm not sure why it even needs to be discusssed. Look at the best QBs in the game today: Rodgers, Wilson, Mahomes, Watson, Jackson, Allen, Murray. What do they all share in common? They have great arms and can extend plays and make plays with their legs. Seriously, who was the last true pocket passer to come out of the draft that turned into a superstar?? The only examples in the NFL last season would've been Tom Brady and MAYBE Drew Brees. That is a dying breed of QB in the modern NFL.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
Even if Shanahan believes Mac Jones is the perfect QB for his offense, how could the 49ers possibly pass up the opportunity to draft Lance or Fields? Both of which are QBs with far higher ceilings than Jones. More athleticism and stronger arms. Seems to me if Shanahan can coach up Jones in his offense, he should have even more at his disposal with Fields or Lance running things.

Taking Jones because he fits the offense better would be the equivalent of choosing Kirk Cousins over Josh Allen or Patrick Mahomes. And I'm not saying Lance or Fields are Allen or Mahomes, just that their physical profiles match up a helluva lot better with the elite QBs in today's game than Jones does.

I mean its honestly so obvious I'm not sure why it even needs to be discusssed. Look at the best QBs in the game today: Rodgers, Wilson, Mahomes, Watson, Jackson, Allen, Murray. What do they all share in common? They have great arms and can extend plays and make plays with their legs. Seriously, who was the last true pocket passer to come out of the draft that turned into a superstar?? The only examples in the NFL last season would've been Tom Brady and MAYBE Drew Brees. That is a dying breed of QB in the modern NFL.

Because they're the 49ers and York/Marathe/Shanahan(s) are capable of making choices that make Wilson/Burke blush. :sarcasm:

I do think Lance is the third best QB prospect in the class though.

sjsharks92

Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
Because they're the 49ers and York/Marathe/Shanahan(s) are capable of making choices that make Wilson/Burke blush. :sarcasm:

I do think Lance is the third best QB prospect in the class though.
I would be equally content with Fields or Lance. I'd honestly rather they draft Pitts, Chase, Smith, Waddle, Sewell or really any of the top projected offensive skill players and defensive prospects than Mac Jones at 3.

Chairman Mallard

Mar 9, 2007
Santa Rosa
I’ve come back around from the hate Jones to just letting it play out.

On paper, I’d prefer the physical traits of Fields or Lance but realistically any of them can bust. I just hope whoever they take doesn’t bust and I’ll be pulling for any of the three.

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
At this point it better be Trey Lance. Jones doesn’t do it for me at 3, and Fields’ epilepsy issues are worrisome.

They already passed on Mahomes once. Hope they learned from that.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I’ve come back around from the hate Jones to just letting it play out.

On paper, I’d prefer the physical traits of Fields or Lance but realistically any of them can bust. I just hope whoever they take doesn’t bust and I’ll be pulling for any of the three.
They'd end up like Chicago if their guy busts. Bears targeted Trubisky, just like Shanahan targeted getting Cousins in the following off-season so didn't look too deep into Mahomes/Watson.

Here we are 4 years later and the 49ers have to give up 2 additional 1sts and a 3rd to secure a QB long term. Have to make the right choice now.

Looking back, were they better off not getting Jimmy G and having him win his 5 starts to close that season out? Would have then had their option of QBs after Mayfield went #1. Based on how Jones is talked about fitting into the Shanahan mold, that would kind of make Rosen Jones and Darnold/Allen more like Fields/Lance. Higher upside, but not polished.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
They'd end up like Chicago if their guy busts. Bears targeted Trubisky, just like Shanahan targeted getting Cousins in the following off-season so didn't look too deep into Mahomes/Watson.

Here we are 4 years later and the 49ers have to give up 2 additional 1sts and a 3rd to secure a QB long term. Have to make the right choice now.

Looking back, were they better off not getting Jimmy G and having him win his 5 starts to close that season out? Would have then had their option of QBs after Mayfield went #1. Based on how Jones is talked about fitting into the Shanahan mold, that would kind of make Rosen Jones and Darnold/Allen more like Fields/Lance. Higher upside, but not polished.

The one problem here is that Jimmy G's injury in 2019 got them Bosa, who is the superstar of that defense (in addition to Warner). How would they look with Baker Mayfield but without Bosa? That's a tough game to play...

sjsharks92

Jun 9, 2014
Bay Area, California
The one problem here is that Jimmy G's injury in 2019 got them Bosa, who is the superstar of that defense (in addition to Warner). How would they look with Baker Mayfield but without Bosa? That's a tough game to play...
Agreed, well said.

That's a fruitless game to play. If ifs were fifths we'd all be drunk.

I just can't emphasize enough that I think this franchise will be doomed if we take Mac Jones. Worse yet Belichek would probably trade up to 4 and get Fields or Lance and turn him into a superstar.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
Agreed, well said.

That's a fruitless game to play. If ifs were fifths we'd all be drunk.

I just can't emphasize enough that I think this franchise will be doomed if we take Mac Jones. Worse yet Belichek would probably trade up to 4 and get Fields or Lance and turn him into a superstar.

To play devil's advocate, the Shanahan's are great offensive minds. They want to out scheme opponents and get into their heads/gameplan. Not just exploiting a mismatch, but also being three steps ahead of any counters and adjustments. Once they get there, they can toy around with the defense.

To do so, they don't just need an arm, they need someone who can process and play the part to set up opponents. If they think Garoppolo is not quite at the level and Jones/Lance/Fields could be, then they'll do what they need to take him because that takes their offense/team to the next level.

Now, whether they should use that many assets is also a concern. But, Mike Shanahan was never shy about grabbing the exact player he wanted (and neither has Kyle) even if they busted. And he enjoyed many successful seasons. End devil's advocate argument.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
To play devil's advocate, the Shanahan's are great offensive minds. They want to out scheme opponents and get into their heads/gameplan. Not just exploiting a mismatch, but also being three steps ahead of any counters and adjustments. Once they get there, they can toy around with the defense.

To do so, they don't just need an arm, they need someone who can process and play the part to set up opponents. If they think Garoppolo is not quite at the level and Jones/Lance/Fields could be, then they'll do what they need to take him because that takes their offense/team to the next level.

Now, whether they should use that many assets is also a concern. But, Mike Shanahan was never shy about grabbing the exact player he wanted (and neither has Kyle) even if they busted. And he enjoyed many successful seasons. End devil's advocate argument.

The Shanahan's surely believe they are the smartest in the room when it comes to gameplanning and such. I've seen them outsmart themselves on numerous occasions so I don't think your devil's advocate argument is all that far off honestly.

tealzamboni

Mar 3, 2007
Interesting timing. It kind of signals that they are ushering in a new QB and that they "tried" to get their preferred option, so fans should live with whoever they draft.

It'll be interesting to see if they still try to deal the #3 and/or Garoppolo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad