Non- Sellouts in Larger Markets

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
There is a free shuttle bus available from a restaurant called Nemo's to the new arena in Detroit. Another option would be to park cheaply at Wayne State University and ride the new M-1 rail system to the arena -- not free, but cheaper than the $40 - $45 parking near the arena (it's $20 if you park on the other side of the freeway and walk several blocks).

The first two options above add quite a bit of time to whatever your normal commute would be to the arena. When the Wings played at Joe Louis Arena, there was cheap (under $10) parking available a few blocks away, and the Nemo's shuttle bus was also an option.

I've been to downtown Raleigh quite a few times, and there is quite a bit of free parking available (we've never paid to park). Never been to a game there, though, so I'm not sure how far you would have to walk to the arena or how early you would need to get there.

The problem in Carolina is that unless you know there may be free parking across the street at the Fairgrounds, you are forced into the arena lots.

I haven't been there in years, and I do know there is a newly developed area. I don't know if parking over there is free.

Reactions: Whalers Fan

Bostonzamboni

Jan 26, 2019
Only a tad above 15,000 last night in Anaheim against "big rival" Kings.

Yes, it's only a Monday, both teams are bad, but that's kind of disappointing.

Sure, the Lakers AND Clippers this year make hockey around L.A. likely as irrelevant as ever, but...

Well, at least the Ducks somehow manage on any night to stay above 15,000 against all teams this year out of a 17,100 seat arena.

So it appears no major concern in Anaheim, yet.

Ace Card Bedard

Back in Black, Red, and White
Feb 11, 2012
The Blackhawks are starting to offer some huge discounts in order to keep selling out the arena now that the team has sucked for 3 seasons.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Is all this expensive parking that people pay out of sheer convenience or is there no free parking available anywhere?

In my market, if you drive to the arena, its inevitable that you will have to pay for parking. I havent gone for a while, but i also remember that they would jack up the parking rates in nearby parkades on event nights.

If you want to avoid this, you pay for public transportation which drops you off right at the rink, which is the cheaper route.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
People keep saying it's too expensive to go to a game and cry poor. Yeah it's not cheap to go to a game. What I find funny is you all can afford to go and spend, spend, spend on Black Friday.

A bit of a rant but I can't stand how most people complain they have little money but will have no problem throwing away cash on junk they don't need.

Well, that's part of the reason why Canadian households have accumulated record levels of debt.

For alot of people, they cant "afford" the tv or the tickets, but the best value proposition lies with the tv, especially on the days where they are steeply discounted such as black friday.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
What I find interesting is how high season ticket prices are. For the CBJ season tickets in the upper bowl start around $40 a game. Well guess what, I’ve been to approximately 90% of the home games and have spent on average 15 bucks a ticket. It’s crazy, a couple weeks ago I took my siblings and I (4 tickets total) for 36 bucks..

I want to buy season tickets but I can’t justify paying for them when I know I can get them significantly cheaper on the secondary market. Even if they were 25 bucks I could live with it, but 40.. pass.

This is only for the upper bowl though, lower bowl seats are priced out the wazoo.

Reactions: flamesforcup

shello

Mar 5, 2011
Dana Point, CA
I’m sure some have said it’s not even just the crazy ticket prices parking sucks like at ducks games parking can be just as much if not more than what I’m paying to watch the game

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Totally agree with people saying pricing is out of whack but on parking im just curious why dont people just go park at train stations and take the train? Its much more convenient. Im pretty sure probably every NHL city has C-trains (other then maybe WPG or Ottawa) that go to their arena or maybe im wrong and in a lot of city's its tough to get there by train? I take the train every time i go to a Flames game.

Reactions: FirstRowUpperDeck

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
I think people in Montreal are getting tired of the team failing to either make the playoffs or go far in the playoffs when they do make it, so interest is waning as far as going to the arena but not in peoples' homes or bars.

Totally agree with people saying pricing is out of whack but on parking im just curious why dont people just go park at train stations and take the train? Its much more convenient. Im pretty sure probably every NHL city has C-trains (other then maybe WPG or Ottawa) that go to their arena or maybe im wrong and in a lot of city's its tough to get there by train? I take the train every time i go to a Flames game.

Ottawa has multiple busses from many different parts of the city (covering most of the population) going to the arena but people don't take advantage of it. They'd rather just complain about how far the arena is by car rather than take a bus because it's for "common folks".

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa
I think people in Montreal are getting tired of the team failing to either make the playoffs or go far in the playoffs when they do make it, so interest is waning as far as going to the arena but not in peoples' homes or bars.

Ottawa has multiple busses from many different parts of the city (covering most of the population) going to the arena but people don't take advantage of it. They'd rather just complain about how far the arena is by car rather than take a bus because it's for "common folks".

I didn't mind taking the bus in my 20s when I had a lot of energy. However, I do not want to ride the bus for 30-45 minutes with 2 kids at 11:00 pm on a weeknight. I would just rather watch the game at home in that case.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn

But to be fair what advantages does bus offer that’s better than driving? Parking is the only thing I can think of but that’s more than offset by being in a small confinement with other people rather than in your own car. Buses still face same traffic that cars do.
I get why buses are much less attractive proposition than rail.

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
But to be fair what advantages does bus offer that’s better than driving? Parking is the only thing I can think of but that’s more than offset by being in a small confinement with other people rather than in your own car. Buses still face same traffic that cars do.
I get why buses are much less attractive proposition than rail.

Buses ably less traffic I imagine, aside from the ones going through the downtown core. Kanata is also far depending on where you're coming from, so if you're coming from the East end you're probs saving like $10 worth of gas + parking cost.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I’ve taken the bus many times to Senators games so let me provide an informed comment.

The bus situation before the game is much different than after the game.

The buses run for quite some time before the game, allowing for staggered attendance to the game. It’s quite a comfortable and reasonable way to attend an NHL game.

After the game, the buses are crowded, as everyone is leaving at the same time. It’s cramped, shoulder-to-shoulder, and standing-room only for quite a long period of time given the traffic. If you’re going back to Orleans in the East End, it can be a good 40-60 minutes.

If you don’t get on the first bus, you have to wait for subsequent buses. The bus shelters are not heated, which is fine in October or April, but from November-March it can be quite cold. The bus drivers don’t always let the next group on right away - they sit there idling, so you stand there waiting.

You’ll see people leave early or physically run as fast as they can to get on the early bus because the staggered departures mean you can be waiting for awhile.

There are dedicated bus lanes but not in the immediate vicinity of the arena so you’re still facing the same traffic as the cars for the first stretch. For important games or playoff games, that means a significant delay. The buses are located in the same parking lot as everyone else, so it’s not as if there’s any difference in exiting the arena area.

Bus tickets are around $4-$5 if you haven’t pre-paid so if you have 3 or 4 people you’re not really saving all that much money.

By contrast, I’ve taken the subway to the ACC (at the time) in Toronto and I just walked off the train and into the arena and vice versa after the game. It was crazy how easy and convenient it was.

Last edited:

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I’ve taken the bus many times to Senators games so let me provide an informed comment.

The bus situation before the game is much different than after the game.

The buses run for quite some time before the game, allowing for staggered attendance to the game. It’s quite a comfortable and reasonable way to attend an NHL game.

After the game, the buses are crowded, as everyone is leaving at the same time. It’s cramped, shoulder-to-shoulder, and standing-room only for quite a long period of time given the traffic. If you’re going back to Orleans in the East End, it can be a good 40-60 minutes.

If you don’t get on the first bus, you have to wait for subsequent buses. The bus shelters are not heated, which is fine in October or April, but from November-March it can be quite cold. The bus drivers don’t always let the next group on right away - they sit there idling, so you stand there waiting.

You’ll see people leave early or physically run as fast as they can to get on the early bus because the staggered departures mean you can be waiting for awhile.

There are dedicated bus lanes but not in the immediate vicinity of the arena so you’re still facing the same traffic as the cars for the first stretch. For important games or playoff games, that means a significant delay. The buses are located in the same parking lot as everyone else, so it’s not as if there’s any difference in exiting the arena area.

Bus tickets are around $4-$5 if you haven’t pre-paid so if you have 3 or 4 people you’re not really saving all that much money.

By contrast, I’ve taken the subway to the ACC (at the time) in Toronto and I just walked off the train and into the arena and vice versa after the game. It was crazy how easy and convenient it was.
This is why Ottawa is better off building an arena near the new light rail line sooner than later.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
Is all this expensive parking that people pay out of sheer convenience or is there no free parking available anywhere?

No free parking anywhere near the Scotiabank arena unless you have a friend that has a condo unit and is willing to get you a guest pass.

On a game night parking is anywhere from $30-40 depending on how many blocks you feel like walking.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I actually think half of NHL cities do not have rail transit serving the arena.

New York Rangers
New York Islanders (Brooklyn, and soon Belmont but not Nassau)
New Jersey
Montreal
Toronto
Washington
Dallas
Boston
Philly
Edmonton
Calgary
Vancouver
LA
Anaheim
I guess Chicago but from what i remember it takes a bit of walking

Thats about it, until Seattle comes along.

TopC0rner

Feb 21, 2018
It's not going to be a popular opinion, but I'd rather watch the games on TV, save the $200 and use it towards something else.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

New York Rangers
New Jersey
Montreal
Toronto
Washington
Dallas
Boston
Philly
Edmonton
Calgary
Vancouver
LA
Anaheim

Its not light rail, but I remember taking a subway to bell center in Montreal. The station is pretty much connected to the rink in that I don't remember having to walk outdoors from the subway station to the stadium.

Vancouver has a skytrain system which which literally has a station called "stadium" which drops you off a very short walking distance from Rogers arena and BC Place.

I still consider these types of examples as direct services to thr rink.

Last edited:

JJ68

Oct 5, 2017

New York Rangers
New Jersey
Montreal
Toronto
Washington
Dallas
Boston
Philly
Edmonton
Calgary
Vancouver
LA
Anaheim

Montreal does.

Anyway I park the car at Angrignon in Lasalle and take the metro downtown. I cant be arsed driving in the city. The metro leads directly into the Bell Centre so it's all good.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver

New York Rangers
New Jersey
Montreal
Toronto
Washington
Dallas
Boston
Philly
Edmonton
Calgary
Vancouver
LA
Anaheim

Vancouver's rail system has a stop right in front of the arena, maybe 100m at most.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Vancouver's rail system has a stop right in front of the arena, maybe 100m at most.
Teams need to work with the city to have some type of rapid transportation system to move people in and out of the area. Half or more of the people attending will require it to and from the arena. So, budget for 8-10K of people to get in/out of there.

That's one of the key aspects of an arena that needs to be considered and why teams can't just pick up from the arena that they currently are located to go somewhere else. The infrastructure is already setup for that arena.

In Vancouver, as a couple of people have said, there is a rapid transit stop right at the arena. Extremely difficult to find another location on that transit line to build a new arena around. There's some space by the Waterfront that Kerfoot, the Whitecaps owner purchased, but never got the city's approval to build a soccer stadium there. That's probably the only place the Canucks could move to if it ever got approval to build an arena.

BiggBird

Dec 30, 2018
Why would Vancouver build a new arena? Rogers arena is still a very nice place to watch games at. The site lines are good and location is ideal with the transit system right there. I don't agree with building an arena just to have something new. Now if it was anything like the old Rexall or the coliseum then I would be okay with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->