Non- Sellouts in Larger Markets

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
It is just too expensive to go.

The middle class has almost been priced out of the arena, and once you get in, overpriced concessions await. I can afford to go with my wife or my brother once or twice a year, but if I wanted to bring two or three kids with us, it would fubar my monthly budget. I would have to save for months.

Going to a Bruins game in Boston is like planning a three hour vacation. For the cost of going to a game or two this season, I can take my wife on a romantic long weekend to the White Mountains instead.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
Prices for games are out of whack. We went to an Oilers game last yr. over Christmas. Tickets plus concessions/merchandise came to over $200. $12 for a can of beer. Stay at home sure and watch the game on TV, save yourself some money in the process.
I wish more teams would follow the example the Falcons implemented a few years ago. They made almost all of their concessions very cheap and they have seen a huge spike in revenue because of that. Why other teams don't do this knowing it works is beyond me. I'm just glad I rarely drink anymore and I try to eat something before I go to any sporting event.

Bostonzamboni

Jan 26, 2019
Both Boston vs. Florida, and the Rangers vs. Pittsburgh, had prices starting at $30 on StubHub the day of a Tuesday night game this week.

Many NHL teams start at $6-$15 on StubHub for many of their games, just like some or many NBA teams. I've never seen below $6, even after game time.

Yep, Rangers failed to sell out again, drawing 16,000 plus again of 18,006. Bruins had their biggest crowd in history, as 17,800+ is the new sellout number, up from 17,565 for years and then down to a temporary 17,100+ for a few games after summer/fall renovations

Of course their tix are usually much higher for weekends and holiday games, but still affordable for most fans if they don't mind the worst seats and a weeknight game.

I know, I know, plus fees on StubHub. Never used it. Are fees maybe $15-$20 per ticket, maybe, or per order?

Still affordable at times for many fans, even with historic franchises in expensive cities.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Not sure why this is a big deal. It's economics. What prices can a team charge to get people to attend a game. People keep showing up, prices will increase. There comes a point people have a limit on what they are willing to spend. This is coupled with the team being successful. Teams need to win to boost fan interest. This happens in every market.

Rob

Feb 27, 2002
New Brunswick
Visit site
For most of us hockey fans there are plenty of cheaper alternatives. Major junior hockey, university hockey, various minor leagues.
Personally I find junior and university games more entertaining that the NHL regular season anyway. When I'm in Ottawa I'll go to a 67's game before I'll go to a Sens game.

Reactions: sabremike

1 Timer

Aug 23, 2009
Howell, NJ
For me its a lot of factors. I do make good money but living in the New York area it goes fast. Tolls, gas, food, ticket.... its not cheap for a family of 4.
Went to a Yankee game and felt robbed. I could take the family to 6 flags for less and they get a whole day out of it.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
Not too mention the CHL is the biggest junior league in the world, and one of the biggest producers of NHL talent (if not still the biggest). So you're still getting world class hockey at a very reasonable price.

One thing I will say though is that I don't know why everyone includes food/drink as one of the reasons why they cant afford to go to a game. I guess it depends on how much time you have between your job and puck drop, as well as how far you live/work from the arena, but I havent ordered food at any of the junior games I've been to in years. Sometimes if I plan ahead I'll pack something extra in my lunch and eat it enroute to the rink. I get it's not always practical, but it can save you $10-$50.

Last edited:

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
There has to be a tipping point. A working class family simply cannot afford a night at a hockey game anymore...and it’s a rare it’s to see a family of four a NHL game.. if it’s between the mortgage and groceries or going to a game...
You usually see either business men, a few buddies, or a couple on a date at games...it’s sad but you just don’t see kids at games anymore...

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Montreal is priced for a winning team that’s at maximum hype levels. Going to the game will set you back 400-600$ for 2 tix and beer. Really outpriced the middle class so better hope a lot of wealthier people are Habs fans , Gotta fill one of the largest venues too. I’m not going to cry they can’t sellout, the pigs are going to have to reduce their prices

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
There has to be a tipping point. A working class family simply cannot afford a night at a hockey game anymore...and it’s a rare it’s to see a family of four a NHL game.. if it’s between the mortgage and groceries or going to a game...
You usually see either business men, a few buddies, or a couple on a date at games...it’s sad but you just don’t see kids at games anymore...

If this is true for the NHL then the KHL is the opposite. There have been more & more kids, all families at KHL games for the last couple of years. The KHL clubs promote the games as a family event. And they are successful in doing it.

Edit: And so many women, young ladies & girls at KHL games.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
For most of us hockey fans there are plenty of cheaper alternatives. Major junior hockey, university hockey, various minor leagues.
Personally I find junior and university games more entertaining that the NHL regular season anyway. When I'm in Ottawa I'll go to a 67's game before I'll go to a Sens game.

I live in Cincinnati and have season tickets for the local ECHL team. I also go to a fair number of games each year in Columbus which is about a 90 minute trip each way.

I have seen 4 CBJ games live this year. I have not enjoyed one of those games as much as the ECHL games which I've attended in Cincinnati, Indianapolis and Estero, FL. The ECHL product is chippy and upon occasion a bit nuts-I saw a player jump into the opponent's bench earlier this year:laugh:. The skill level is much higher than most realize. The ECHL a lot closer to the mix of physicality and skill which makes hockey such a great game. The NHL is getting perilously close to becoming a no checking league.

Cost wise there's not much difference. I go to midweek CBJ games and I have paid $11 or $12 per seat (on tickpick.com) and know a place where I can park for free with less than a 10 minute walk to Nationwide Arena. I understand that this is not the norm for most NHL markets. I don't mind the drive. I actually enjoy it. But the games are getting to the point that the total time commitment isn't worth the product I see despite watching the best players in the world. Efforts to eliminate head shots are laudable. Efforts to make the game non physical are not. The NHL had best get the balance between safety and physicality right or they risk losing a significant amount of their current fan base and future fan base, imo.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Both Boston vs. Florida, and the Rangers vs. Pittsburgh, had prices starting at $30 on StubHub the day of a Tuesday night game this week.

Many NHL teams start at $6-$15 on StubHub for many of their games, just like some or many NBA teams. I've never seen below $6, even after game time.

Yep, Rangers failed to sell out again, drawing 16,000 plus again of 18,006. Bruins had their biggest crowd in history, as 17,800+ is the new sellout number, up from 17,565 for years and then down to a temporary 17,100+ for a few games after summer/fall renovations

Of course their tix are usually much higher for weekends and holiday games, but still affordable for most fans if they don't mind the worst seats and a weeknight game.

I know, I know, plus fees on StubHub. Never used it. Are fees maybe $15-$20 per ticket, maybe, or per order?

Still affordable at times for many fans, even with historic franchises in expensive cities.

The Bruins Black Friday matinee game tomorrow is as high as I have seen for a while - Many Rangers fans coming up

StubHub!

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Prices for games are out of whack. We went to an Oilers game last yr. over Christmas. Tickets plus concessions/merchandise came to over $200. $12 for a can of beer. Stay at home sure and watch the game on TV, save yourself some money in the process.
Tickets alone for the Leafs exceed that.

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016
In canada CIS hockey is absolutely the best around. Forget the CHL even.

If you are in Canada West you're missing out.

An Alberta vs Sask game is on par with top 1/3rd AHL easily.

Reactions: Rob

atticus

Jan 27, 2013
The other issue no one seems to talk about is the long term effects of expanding the league size.

To describe my point, when the league only had 24 (or less) teams, then on average your team statistically should win the cup every 24 years, or about once in a generation. Now obviously it wont work out evenly that way, but if you look at the years 1979-1998, about 2/3rds of the teams that existed prior to 1985 won a cup somewhere in that 20 year period.

Winning the cup does magical things to energize the fans for years to come. It also creates a generational connection of “remember back in 19xx when our team won the cup?”. Winning the cup creates hero’s for the kids on the team, and brings in fans to the stadium for years after the cup was won.

Fast forward to today, with soon to be 32 teams. People of many (most?) franchises (not just Maple Leafs fans) might go their whole adult life and never see the cup come to town. There is just something that happens to a fan base when you hoist the cup, and going from 20ish teams to 32 means the cup won’t be coming as frequently.

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
People keep saying it's too expensive to go to a game and cry poor. Yeah it's not cheap to go to a game. What I find funny is you all can afford to go and spend, spend, spend on Black Friday.

A bit of a rant but I can't stand how most people complain they have little money but will have no problem throwing away cash on junk they don't need.

Reactions: IslesFan2017

hockeyguy0022

Feb 20, 2016
People keep saying it's too expensive to go to a game and cry poor. Yeah it's not cheap to go to a game. What I find funny is you all can afford to go and spend, spend, spend on Black Friday.

A bit of a rant but I can't stand how most people complain they have little money but will have no problem throwing away cash on junk they don't need.

Is this a serious comment or are you trolling?

Tickets to professional sports is literally one of the biggest "wants" around lol. It's a pure luxury.

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
Is this a serious comment or are you trolling?

Tickets to professional sports is literally one of the biggest "wants" around lol. It's a pure luxury.
So is buying a TV a pure luxury. What I am getting at is how people can justify buying a TV and think nothing of it. Yet when it comes to a hockey game, its too expensive.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
The Flyers have cemented themselves as the 4th favorable team out of 4 professional teams in Philly.

-- Ticket prices are way out of whack
-- The team is average and lack entertainment value
-- Parking and traffic is a nightmare
-- Beers and food are outlandish
-- The in-game experience is horrific

The best part of a Flyers game these days is Gritty, which is pathetic. I grew up a few blocks from the Spectrum and used to love seeing Flyers games live in the 70s, 80s and 90s. These days I turn down free tickets.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007

Totally depends on the team and city. I am speaking of Philly right now--Eagles and Sixers tickets are hot. Phillies tickets are semi-hot, and very hot when the team is playing well, as Citizens Bank Park is BY FAR the best venue in the entire city. The Flyers are NOT in high demand. People turn down free tickets and it's no longer a business perk and companies are investing in the 76ers, Eagles and Phillies for client relations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->