GDT: Non-Panthers NFL Discussion part 2: Commence rookie QBs

surfzone365

Jan 13, 2021
Ashburn, VA
Really? This Bills team is way more likely to win a title. I'm not even sure the Sabres will be a playoff team
I’m referring to the luck the Bills organization has had either reaching or winning a Super Bowl. Either way, championships are elusive in Buffalo. They had 4 cracks at it in the 90s, no need to believe a 5th time is a charm.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I’m referring to the luck the Bills organization has had either reaching or winning a Super Bowl. Either way, championships are elusive in Buffalo. They had 4 cracks at it in the 90s, no need to believe a 5th time is a charm.
They will forever be cursed by their horrible, obnoxious fans. Plus they’re from Buffalo. No one likes Buffalo.

Reactions: DaveG

surfzone365

Jan 13, 2021
Ashburn, VA
They will forever be cursed by their horrible, obnoxious fans. Plus they’re from Buffalo. No one likes Buffalo.
Funny thing you should mention that. The only time I came close to getting in a fight at PNC during a Canes game was with a group of unruly Buffalo fans near me. Not Pens or Bruins fans, but Sabres fans. Now, we all know every fan base has their share of losers but on several occasions these guys took the cake. So, I have no remorse for their football team either. Sorry to any classy Buffalo natives out there, that’s not aimed at you but just the nature of the fandom beast.

On a positive note, we have an 11 game win streak vs the Sabres. My only regret is that we won’t have the opportunity to whip them for 12+ this season.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveG

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Can't wait to see what kind of return a DeShaun Watson trade fetches.
It's hard to believe how badly the Texans have messed everything up. And what a weird coaching hire, even though it could certainly work out long term. No matter what they get in a trade, it'll be hard to get what Watson is worth.

Reactions: HisIceness

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
It's hard to believe how badly the Texans have messed everything up. And what a weird coaching hire, even though it could certainly work out long term. No matter what they get in a trade, it'll be hard to get what Watson is worth.
I mean ... I understand where Watson is coming from, and I’ve always really liked him - never could understand how Trubisky, he of the 8-5 record, 13 starts, and inability to win games on his own, could have been the choice over the guy who dropped 400+ yards on Alabama two years in a row. But somehow everyone in the league thought the same way.
But where I differ is, the Texans are a fairly successful team. Before this terrible season, they won 4 division titles in 5 years (or something like that). They had the Chiefs down 24-0 in the playoffs. They’ve done a lot right.
I guess the mortal sin has been choosing this Easterby fellow over pretty much everyone on the team.
We’ll see what Watson brings. I still think he has a little bit to go as a QB; he puts up great numbers but there have been enough losses where he didn’t perform when it mattered.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
I mean ... I understand where Watson is coming from, and I’ve always really liked him - never could understand how Trubisky, he of the 8-5 record, 13 starts, and inability to win games on his own, could have been the choice over the guy who dropped 400+ yards on Alabama two years in a row. But somehow everyone in the league thought the same way.
But where I differ is, the Texans are a fairly successful team. Before this terrible season, they won 4 division titles in 5 years (or something like that). They had the Chiefs down 24-0 in the playoffs. They’ve done a lot right.
I guess the mortal sin has been choosing this Easterby fellow over pretty much everyone on the team.
We’ll see what Watson brings. I still think he has a little bit to go as a QB; he puts up great numbers but there have been enough losses where he didn’t perform when it mattered.
I agree they are have been fairly successful. And they blew that all up in about a year. It's the NFL and turnarounds can happen quickly. Even if they move on from Watson, the right assets and management could have them back in a year or two. It just didn't need to go this way.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Watson to Carolina isn't as far-fetched as it once seemed. I can tell you there are people in the know who think it's one of the more likely trade destinations, but we still have a long way to go... Not sure what to think of that though; I prefer a QB on a rookie contract but of course with that there's the risk you end up with a Trubisky type bust...

Reactions: SnS

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
Watson to Carolina isn't as far-fetched as it once seemed. I can tell you there are people in the know who think it's one of the more likely trade destinations, but we still have a long way to go... Not sure what to think of that though; I prefer a QB on a rookie contract but of course with that there's the risk you end up with a Trubisky type bust...
Any idea if McCaffrey would be a centerpiece to any deal? I kinda figure he would have to be since (pre injury at least) he's likely got the most value in a trade. Given how Davis performed I imagine they may be less worried about losing McCaffrey. Especially to bring in a guy like Watson.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Panthers barely have an O-line and no star receivers for Watson, thus the Panthers would have to give up the only real thing of value (McCaffery) plus gut a shit ton of draft capital that would be used to give Watson some protection and players to toss the pigskin towards.

That isn't to say they won't pull the trigger, but the team isn't in a position where they can do this and get away w/ having a talented roster. They have to build through the draft anyways, gutting that will set them back even more.

Reactions: Tryamw

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
On the one hand, that's a lot of draft capital to give up after already giving up a couple of recent firsts. On the other hand, Goff was kinda showing that he wasn't it and they got out of that contract. The Rams window is firmly now, so it makes a lot of sense.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I'm shocked Calvin Johnson is a first ballot selection for the hall of fame. This also makes me feel old because he's only about 3 years older than me.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
So the Panthers offered the 8th overall, a 5th rounder, and Bridgewater for Stafford. Interesting.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I'm shocked Calvin Johnson is a first ballot selection for the hall of fame. This also makes me feel old because he's only about 3 years older than me.

It's well deserved, he was easily the most dominant WR in the league for pretty much his whole career. Generational talent. I still find it hard to believe that the Lions had 2 of the greatest players of all time in Sanders and Johnson retire right during their prime while healthy. That is just so unbelievably rare, and it happened twice to one franchise...

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
So the Panthers offered the 8th overall, a 5th rounder, and Bridgewater for Stafford. Interesting.

8 overall seems pretty steep to me but Stafford is a legit franchise QB still in his prime. Glad it didn't happen but also glad we really do seem committed to replacing Teddy this year -- whether it's Watson, trading up in the draft, maybe even making a play at Dak, etc...

surfzone365

Jan 13, 2021
Ashburn, VA
Stafford is a good QB but sometimes overhyped. Granted playing in Detroit is like being banished to Siberia (sucks for you Jared Goff), but the Panthers won’t lose a wink over missing out on Matt. I am happy for Stafford in that he gets to experience life outside that awful Lions organization.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad