GDT: Non-Panthers NFL Discussion (2017 and beyond)

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
It's a big nothing. The guys directly responsible are already gone, and none of it implicates Snyder. Yes, it's a shitty org and these were shitty actions, but there's nothing here remotely approaching what they *already got away with*, which was literally pimping out cheerleaders to season ticket holders.

But maybe FedEx will demand that he sell the team anyway. I hope so.
Which isn’t punishment because he’ll walk away with a cool 2-3 billion

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
It's a big nothing. The guys directly responsible are already gone, and none of it implicates Snyder. Yes, it's a shitty org and these were shitty actions, but there's nothing here remotely approaching what they *already got away with*, which was literally pimping out cheerleaders to season ticket holders.

But maybe FedEx will demand that he sell the team anyway. I hope so.
I was expecting way more. It’s a terrible culture and workplace to be sure. But my mind was way way past that.

As an aside ... I really have trouble wrapping my head around stuff like this. Granted, I’ve worked exclusively around dudes my whole life, at least since 2000. So, I’m almost never around women in a workplace setting. If they’re around, it’s very very rare. But I can’t understand how stuff like this ever gets past the “it happened once” stage.

call me naive, obviously. I just don’t get how it starts.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
It's like boiling a frog. Dude starts with fairly innocent flirty stuff. Woman doesn't object, or not much anyway, because it's not that bad and easily laughed off or ignored. Dude figures he is getting away with it, so pushes a little harder, and woman has already assented once, and she really wants the job so she figures she can just put up with it. That's how it starts, and that's how it gets worse.

I've worked with and been friends with quite a few talented women, and many have related some variation of this story to me. It's easier than it used to be to call men on this behavior now, and men seen generally more aware of the risks of this kind of behavior now, so it seems like it's not happening quite as much. But there are a lot of guys, either clueless about women in general or just comfortable being shitty to get what they want, and women put up with it because it's just easier -- until it isn't, and they're stuck.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Exciting game last night. Clearly a bit of hindsight (but I did tell my wife that they should not run the same play again before it happened), but I really think it was a bad play call by NE with 2 seconds left, unless this was a "you're best against our best and see who comes out on top" type mentality. I get that they had success with Cam running that same play, but Seattle was 100% expecting it and sold out to stop that play completely. Any sort of misdirection would have had someone wide open IMO.

Russell Wilson was phenomenal again.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Exciting game last night. Clearly a bit of hindsight (but I did tell my wife that they should not run the same play again before it happened), but I really think it was a bad play call by NE with 2 seconds left, unless this was a "you're best against our best and see who comes out on top" type mentality. I get that they had success with Cam running that same play, but Seattle was 100% expecting it and sold out to stop that play completely. Any sort of misdirection would have had someone wide open IMO.

I definitely agree. And though they had run that play successfully a few times, like you said, Seattle was waiting for it. Oddly enough, we were doing rather well in the passing game, so I probably would have stuck with that.

Anyways, to play against Wilson having that good of a game and be in a position to win on the last play of the game makes me feel pretty decent about our prospects in a clear transition year.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007

Wtf was the deep ball call by Seattle on 3rd and 1, when a first down would have basically iced the game? Christ. Between that and the functionally Pejorative Slured McCarthy coaching my Cowboys, I feel like I’ve entered crazytown.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

It was an awful call. At the goal line with the game on the line, you need to give Cam options. Roll him out with some pass options and the ability to run if he sees an opening. Run a read-option with the RB to at least freeze someone or to hand off when Seattle crashes on Cam. Some sort of attempt to at least make one defender account for a different ball carrier.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Wtf was the deep ball call by Seattle on 3rd and 1, when a first down would have basically iced the game? Christ. Between that and the functionally Pejorative Slured McCarthy coaching my Cowboys, I feel like I’ve entered crazytown.
Yeah, I was pretty shocked by that play call, but hey, the same decision making earned the Pats a Super Bowl. Came close to winning them a game last night.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
I couldn't help but think it was like the inverse of the super bowl play where everyone was so mystified seattle wouldn't run it. Don't know if that was in either coach's mind what with the personnel having changed so much but it was a neat symmetry

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
I didn't tune in last night, saw on NFL.com that Seattle was up 35-23 or whatever it was w/ like 3 minutes left. Sounds like I missed a good one.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
The f*** happened to Carson Wentz? He's Jameis-level bad right now.
That team stays beat up. I don't know if they Draft and sign injury prone guys, have bad trainers, or just horrible luck, but it makes it tough. Can't say it makes me too sad.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
BIG. DICK. NICK.

Also, Gostkowski seems to be back in form.
Happy for Gost after a rocky start. He was a great kicker for us for a long time, and our current kicker is not good and has a weak leg. I miss him.

As for Big Dick Nick, I think that whole run was obviously pretty fluky (phenomenal team, but Nick just played out of his mind), but kudos to them for taking us down. Not like I haven't seen my share of Super Bowl wins, including against the Eggles. I actually like Foles other than the fact that he beat us and hope he does well in Chicago.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
Foles had a year in St Louis with 27 TDs and 2 INTs. He’s *capable* but only seems to be when it’s unclear if he’s the starter or just the reliever coming in. It’s like he can’t have the spot guaranteed to him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad