Non-Minnesota NHL News XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
He keeps saying that, but he's saying that it was literally the Hanzal deal and no other bad deals in the past 5 years? That doesn't really make any sense. Hanzal wasn't even bad for us.
The high price and lack of a post-season payoff is what makes it bad. That deal when it was made, was intended to ensure a long post-season run, not a first round and done.

I agree, Hanzal didn't play bad, but the Wild still didn't make a long run, and the long run is what is needed for a rental to truly pay off.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Because it cost a GM their job and this team never moved beyond the 1st round even with their center depth. The team got eliminated in a bad fashion including two shutouts. I mean yes there were bad deals but this was like the McDonalds coffee incident.
It was not the Hanzal trade that cost him the job. It was because our "core" could never get it done.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
The high price and lack of a post-season payoff is what makes it bad. That deal when it was made, was intended to ensure a long post-season run, not a first round and done.

I agree, Hanzal didn't play bad, but the Wild still didn't make a long run, and the long run is what is needed for a rental to truly pay off.
But how many rentals truly pay off by that standard? Can't be many.

Arturia Pendragon

Humble Optimist
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Holy Grail
Watching Russo flail with this new FO is mildly amusing.
Who cares what he speculates, the only thing to discuss is what happens when it happens.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
He keeps saying that, but he's saying that it was literally the Hanzal deal and no other bad deals in the past 5 years? That doesn't really make any sense. Hanzal wasn't even bad for us.

The Hanzal trade didn't stop 1sts from being traded at the TDL, they hadn't been that common in recent TDLs.
-Statsny was a pure rental for a 1st+.
-The other rental 1st+ was Nash, but he was had half his salary retained and NYR took on the multi year cap dumps of Spooner and Beleskey.
-1st+ for McDonagh (rental+1) and Miller (rental)
-Kane was a conditional 1st for re-signing.
-1st+ for Tatar, multiyear deal
-1st+ Hartman (RFA)
-1st+ for Brassard (rental+1). breakdown the 3 team deal however.

The theme seemed to shift away from ~20 games+ Playoffs (outside of Statsny) to at having another season of control over the player they received. They get 2 Playoff runs or at least a chance to recoup their losses if things don't work out.

Teams are still feeling the effects of the last expansion draft by giving up draft picks, and there is another expansion draft around the corner. Fill the cupboards now so they aren't empty when that storm hits could be in the backs of their minds. The lost 1st for Hanzal + lost 1st in Tuch was a double whammy that no other GM wants to happen to them.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Sorry, I was thinking like Wabit posted... The lost first in the trade and another first in Tuch at expansion time. I had them tied in my head for some reason. :laugh:

Dude, don't start thinking like me. Otherwise you'll have to stat making all the GDTs just to be allowed in the door of this joint. :laugh:

Reactions: TaLoN

Wabit

May 23, 2016
GMCF must really not like Folin. He let him walk as a RFA in MN, then trades him out of Philly.

I'm thinking it was because he was jealous of the sweet beard Folin could grow. :laugh:

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
It was not the Hanzal trade that cost him the job. It was because our "core" could never get it done.

The Hanzal trade definitely led to Fletcher getting fired. It was a Hail Mary because the core wasn't getting it done that Fletcher did.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
The Anaheim Ducks fired coach Randy Carlyle on Sunday amid a seven-game losing streak.

The Ducks announced that general manager Bob Murray would take over as interim coach for the remainder of the regular season. Anaheim will name a new coach following the season.

I can't believe Carlyle lasted as long as he did for the Ducks: 19 losses in the last 21 games.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
This years 1st is kind of a meh, but man if CBJ loses all these UFA's at the end of the year that 2020 one is going to be pretty bomb for OTT.

Yeah, could be a nice bonus. Won't make up for losing out on Hughes/Kakko, but it's something.

It would be pretty hilarious if Columbus misses the playoffs and wins the lottery though.

Reactions: BigT2002
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad