Non-Minnesota NHL News XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Matthews signs for 5 years, around $11.6M AAV.
Pretty pricey for a deal that brings him straight to UFA, but my guess is that upcoming extensions for other high-end RFA's end up looking just as pyrrhic.

Edit: On second look it buys 1 UFA year, which is a little better.

Last edited:

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I just looked at Tor's cap for next year. $71.9m tied up in contract already. If the can get every penny of Horton's LTIR it would put them around $66.6m with 13 players signed. ~$16m doesn't seem like enough to sign Marner, Kapanen, Johnsson, and fill out the roster without making some trades (Brown/Hyman/Nylander).

Wabit

May 23, 2016

Stalock makes the same or more than Matthews in actual salary per year. :huh: Are signing bonuses and salary figured the same way for the escrow?

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think SB's get paid even if there is a work stoppage, whereas salary doesn't.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004

Stalock makes the same or more than Matthews in actual salary per year. :huh: Are signing bonuses and salary figured the same way for the escrow?

I think signing bonuses are better for players as they are guaranteed even at a lockout or not. They also get it in one lump sum.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I'd trade for Marner or Nylander personally.
Nylander would cost Spurgeon+ right now.

Marner " " Dumba + Granlund+ (this summer)and we'd have to pay Marner 11M or so long term, and even then I don't think TML does it. If They were smart they would ask for Dumba + Greenway+ KK+....still don't think they trade Marner.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
NSH trades a 2nd for Boyle and I thought "that's a mild overpay." Then they trade a 7th for Cody McLeod, and I thought "he's still in the league?"

Reactions: Bazeek

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
NSH trades a 2nd for Boyle and I thought "that's a mild overpay." Then they trade a 7th for Cody McLeod, and I thought "he's still in the league?"
If Brian Boyle can get a 2nd, surely Eric Staal and get a first+.

Wabit

May 23, 2016

A 50-60 pick is a lot different than a 20-30 pick in value.

iYzCZA9.png

Reactions: JoeThorntonsRooster

Wabit

May 23, 2016
And Eric Staal is a lot different than Brian Boyle.

Boyle has 4 less goals (and a lot less assists) than Staal so far this year. Boyle is Hanzal from a couple seasons ago. A big, physical, pitching in a decent amount of goals on a bad team, center.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I think we're going to see prices fall off a lot as we approach the deadline because of supply outstripping demand. If Fenton's going to sell anyone at the deadline I think he'd do well to make that decision early rather than waiting.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I think we're going to see prices fall off a lot as we approach the deadline because of supply outstripping demand. If Fenton's going to sell anyone at the deadline I think he'd do well to make that decision early rather than waiting.
There aren't many rental centers available right now though as far as I'm aware.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Duchene, Hayes and Henrique pop to mind, but there may be others.
Duchene is obviously worth more. Henrique I would assume is less. Staal has got to be one of the top guys though. His age matters little since he's just a rental.

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
Duchene is obviously worth more. Henrique I would assume is less. Staal has got to be one of the top guys though. His age matters little since he's just a rental.
I agree, his pedigree, size and experience should make him a top target for a team that wants a center.

I guess McKenzie said on NBC last night that the Boyle trade has raised expectations among sellers across the league. Between that and the number of players available we might see a league-wide game of chicken, where sellers hold out for the highest price, buyers wait for them to setttle for less, and everyone scrambles to make things happen once the first big trade is made. I don't actually hate our chances of coming out on top in a situation like that with Staal.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I agree, his pedigree, size and experience should make him a top target for a team that wants a center.

I guess McKenzie said on NBC last night that the Boyle trade has raised expectations among sellers across the league. Between that and the number of players available we might see a league-wide game of chicken, where sellers hold out for the highest price, buyers wait for them to setttle for less, and everyone scrambles to make things happen once the first big trade is made. I don't actually hate our chances of coming out on top in a situation like that with Staal.
Interesting. Sure hope that's the case.

nt3005

Jan 12, 2015
Dakota Territory
Duchene, Hayes, Brassard, Spezza (maybe?), Anisimov, Carter...Some other surprises could happen as well.
Brassard isn't much help to a contending team right now. Spezza has been bad. Didn't Carter straight up say if he's traded he might retire?

There are players available though, but it could come down to what team wants to make the first move, and what these players values are set by GMs

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Brassard isn't much help to a contending team right now. Spezza has been bad. Didn't Carter straight up say if he's traded he might retire?

There are players available though, but it could come down to what team wants to make the first move, and what these players values are set by GMs

Carter did say something like that. I think he just wants a little control over where he gets traded. After this season he'll have made $51m of the $58m 11 year deal he signed so long ago.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
At least as of this moment in time, every single team in the West is within 4 points of a playoff spot. That's crazy.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Russo was just on KFAN this evening saying he would be surprised if a team gave up a 1st for Staal. He said how the Hanzal trade worked out for the Wild has scared off a lot of franchises/GM's on the idea of trading 1sts for a rental like that.

Based on what he's heard, he says the Wild may have to trade for prospects or other NHL players instead of they want value for Staal.

He then did say that doesn't mean it "can't" be done with a 1st coming back, just the path to that isn't likely.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Russo was just on KFAN this evening saying he would be surprised if a team gave up a 1st for Staal. He said how the Hanzal trade worked out for the Wild has scared off a lot of franchises/GM's on the idea of trading 1sts for a rental like that.

Based on what he's heard, he says the Wild may have to trade for prospects or other NHL players instead of they want value for Staal.

He then did say that doesn't mean it "can't" be done with a 1st coming back, just the path to that isn't likely.
He keeps saying that, but he's saying that it was literally the Hanzal deal and no other bad deals in the past 5 years? That doesn't really make any sense. Hanzal wasn't even bad for us.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
He keeps saying that, but he's saying that it was literally the Hanzal deal and no other bad deals in the past 5 years? That doesn't really make any sense. Hanzal wasn't even bad for us.

Because it cost a GM their job and this team never moved beyond the 1st round even with their center depth. The team got eliminated in a bad fashion including two shutouts. I mean yes there were bad deals but this was like the McDonalds coffee incident.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad