Non-Minnesota NHL News XIV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
All i know is I'm not looking forward to facing their offense when McKinnon gets a few years under his belt.

To be fair, we said that with Duchene, too. They have a good forward group, but that defense is horrid, and their goaltending is plainly unsustainable.

I'm not remotely impressed with them until they make the playoffs over us and/or Nashville.

Last edited:

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
Only a matter of time before Roy does something to jack up that team. However, if you guys don't want Stastny I would take him :biglaugh:

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
Colorado is quickly turning back into one of those teams everyone would love to play for again. they have a great 1-2punch down the middle kinda like how pit got started w/ geno & sid. give them 2 years, if they can upgrade a few more positions (which i think they will) they're going to be a top team again.

Billy Mays Here*

They've got ROR down the middle as well. Thought for sure they'd ship him or Stastny off for some help on defense but maybe they wanted to make sure Mackinnon could handle the role before they did anything drastic. Next 10 years Duchene, Mackinnon, and ROR down the middle, wow.

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011
They haven't added anyone on defense right?

So no

No big names, if that is what you mean.

Last years D:

Johnson - Played 31 games, concussion I think
Wilson - Played 12 games, oft injured
Barrie
Hejda
Zanon - Third in ice time, second in time on PK
Hunwick - Lead in ice time, third in time on PK
O'Byrne
O'Brien
Elliott - Played 18 games, wasn't and isn't ready for NHL

O'Byrne was traded (I think, can't remember), O'Brien traded, Zanon bought out, Hunwick waived (multiple times), Elliott in minors.

So 5/9 are gone (or not playing on the Avalanche this year).

This years D:

Sarich
Benoit
Guenin
Johnson
Barrie
Wilson
Hejda

The new guys are 10x better than the guys we had last year, but that is also partially due to our forwards helping out the D and having a proper system in place (coaching change). Plus there has been a ton of blocked shots by everyone.

We know they won't keep it up and are playing above their heads right now, but to put them in the same class with the guys we had on defense last year is down right offensive. :laugh:

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
12-1 anyone still not worried? ;) 7 points ahead of the Wild with a game in hand

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
12-1 anyone still not worried? ;) 7 points ahead of the Wild with a game in hand

With 138pts left to try to obtain for Colorado and 136 for the Wild... I'm not concerned about a 7pt gap as of yet.

Remember a couple years ago, the Wild led the entire league in points in December... how did that turn out for them?

LONG ways to go.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
With 138pts left to try to obtain for Colorado and 136 for the Wild... I'm not concerned about a 7pt gap as of yet.

Remember a couple years ago, the Wild led the entire league in points in December... how did that turn out for them?

LONG ways to go.

you are correct but like I said a young team starts believing they can be dangerous. and they say the standings at Thanksgiving are usually what it will look like come playoff time

bozak911

Ignoring Idiots
May 18, 2010
Minnesota
you are correct but like I said a young team starts believing they can be dangerous. and they say the standings at Thanksgiving are usually what it will look like come playoff time

I would not bet on this being the case with the new format. The Wild Card issue still remains to be seen as to the effects it will have on standings.

Also, I am not drinking the Colorado kool-aid just yet. I just took a quick look at their schedule and about the only true power house teams that they have faced so far are;
1. Detroit (loss)
2. Boston (1-0 win, the 2nd goal was an EN)
3. Pittsburgh (1-0 win)

If they are still on this streak at the end of November, where they face teams that are "keeping pace" with them... Then we'll see.

They face St. Louis twice, Chicago, LA, Phoenix and the Wild twice.
/shrug

NothingLikeAnEJ

Jimmies: Rustled
Jan 24, 2011

LONG ways to go.

While we aren't going to maintain this pace obviously, you guys should note that the main reason for your collapse a couple seasons ago was injuries. Didn't you lose your entire top 6 at one point?

Jarick

Doing Nothing
Casual observers would say that the Wild were not as good as their record, then injuries hit, then they were better than their record, but still dropped out of the playoffs in historic fashion.

Stats guys pointed at the even strength close Corsi numbers, which showed the Wild had negative puck possession estimates, as well as positive PDO which showed they had unsustainably high save and shooting percentages. Then the team flipped where they weren't just coming back to average, but had unsustainably low save and shooting percentages.

Either way, they should have had enough points that even with them coming back to Earth and playing as expected, they should have made the playoffs. It was pretty spectacular.

I don't know what to think about Colorado. They are 26th in Corsi Percentage, which indicates they aren't possessing the puck enough...they are 2nd in PDO which indicates they are likely somewhat lucky in terms of shooting and goaltending...and both would indicate they should drop back down. But I don't fully trust these stats and maybe they are legitimately a good team. We should probably expect them to not be able to sustain that performance but perhaps they will be a playoff team on the back of good coaching, lots of talent up front, and some clutch goaltending.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Obviously Colorado can't continue to win at this current pace...It'll be interesting to see how this team deals with the inevitable slump that will come their way. They are a very young team with a young and fiery head coach.

IMO, it could be the classic case of "nitro meets glycerin"...very explosive in the positive then things are going well and very explosive in the negative when things start to sour.

I do think they will be in the hunt for a playoff birth which certainly puts more pressure on a team like the Wild to continue to win, that's for sure.

LordFletcher

Jun 18, 2012
Tonka-Wayzata, MN
I expect Colorado to score a few less goals than their current pace and goaltending to come back down to earth.

I don't see them falling out of the playoffs with all their offensive firepower (something the Wild of two years ago lacked greatly) but I don't see them being a top 3 seed in this division. The Wild and Avs will battle for that top 3 spot me thinks. Who knows, time will tell.

NothingLikeAnEJ

Jimmies: Rustled
Jan 24, 2011
Casual observers would say that the Wild were not as good as their record, then injuries hit, then they were better than their record, but still dropped out of the playoffs in historic fashion.

Stats guys pointed at the even strength close Corsi numbers, which showed the Wild had negative puck possession estimates, as well as positive PDO which showed they had unsustainably high save and shooting percentages. Then the team flipped where they weren't just coming back to average, but had unsustainably low save and shooting percentages.

Either way, they should have had enough points that even with them coming back to Earth and playing as expected, they should have made the playoffs. It was pretty spectacular.

I don't know what to think about Colorado. They are 26th in Corsi Percentage, which indicates they aren't possessing the puck enough...they are 2nd in PDO which indicates they are likely somewhat lucky in terms of shooting and goaltending...and both would indicate they should drop back down. But I don't fully trust these stats and maybe they are legitimately a good team. We should probably expect them to not be able to sustain that performance but perhaps they will be a playoff team on the back of good coaching, lots of talent up front, and some clutch goaltending.

I don't look at all that advanced stats stuff but I'm just wondering what's the Avs Corsi or whatever when the game is tied? We seem to dominate games out of the gate as we've only been scored on first in two games so far, but once they have the lead they tend to fall back into a defensive shell so I'm wondering if that negatively affects the advanced statistics.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
I don't look at all that advanced stats stuff but I'm just wondering what's the Avs Corsi or whatever when the game is tied? We seem to dominate games out of the gate as we've only been scored on first in two games so far, but once they have the lead they tend to fall back into a defensive shell so I'm wondering if that negatively affects the advanced statistics.

They don't have advanced stats for a certain score, as far as I know.

And I'm intended to believe in these advanced stats to a degree. No one is going to play out of their mind, Toronto or Colorado style, for an entire year. Even though the Wild had an incredible amount of injuries, they would have had a large fall, just not as massive as it was. Most recent Stanley Cup winners were at or near the top in several instrumental categories.

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site
Mr. Schultz

Came across this on the web and thought I'd share.

SchultzFinal2010Mo_slide.jpg

Why are his pupils dilated so?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->