bozak911

Ignoring Idiots
May 18, 2010
Minnesota
Next big compliance buyouts:

Luongo.
Hossa.
Brad Richards.

Although... Let's say that my devious mind is only half as devious as some of the GMs/Owners that gave out those albatross contracts.

The Compliance Buyouts technically come out of the players share.
You cannot CB a player and then re-sign them.

To screw the NHLPA a bit... Let's talk collusion between two general managers and the players.

GMs colluding; Chuck Fletcher and Stan Bowman.
Players in on it; Marian Hossa and Zach Parise

Chuck Fletcher uses one of his CBs on Parise.
Bowman uses one of his CBs on Hossa.
GMCF signs Hossa to a 7 year, two million AAV contract.
GMSB signs Zach Parise to a 7 year, two million AAV contract.

"We have a trade to announce; The Chicago Blackhawks trade Zach Parise to the Minnesota Wild in exchange for Marian Hossa."

bozak911

Ignoring Idiots
May 18, 2010
Minnesota
obviously, collusion would be really easy to prove here... but still... no wording in the CBA about acquiring the player that you just used a compliance buyout on via trade...

edit; well, never mind Hossa. just consider him an example. :)

Last edited:

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal
obviously, collusion would be really easy to prove here... but still... no wording in the CBA about acquiring the player that you just used a compliance buyout on via trade...

edit; well, never mind Hossa. just consider him an example. :)

The rumor was that Tampa was planning to trade Lecavalier + a pick to Toronto, who would do the buyout, and then Lecavalier would re-sign with the Bolts (and make more actual money, but less cap money). The NHL found out and announced preemptively that this maneuver would be considered circumvention.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/nhl_trips_up_buyouts_90sX16wV28TR1GtnCDS8ZO

Not exactly the same as yours, but the basics of buyout, re-sign, trade are all there, so it's a pretty safe bet to say that your scenario would be shot down and probably penalized pretty harshly.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
I'm kind of surprised that Tampa couldn't move Vinny to say Toronto for purposes of keeping. They have the money to take him and could use him, his deal is bad but he aint bad.

bozak911

Ignoring Idiots
May 18, 2010
Minnesota
The rumor was that Tampa was planning to trade Lecavalier + a pick to Toronto, who would do the buyout, and then Lecavalier would re-sign with the Bolts (and make more actual money, but less cap money). The NHL found out and announced preemptively that this maneuver would be considered circumvention.

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/more_sports/nhl_trips_up_buyouts_90sX16wV28TR1GtnCDS8ZO

Not exactly the same as yours, but the basics of buyout, re-sign, trade are all there, so it's a pretty safe bet to say that your scenario would be shot down and probably penalized pretty harshly.

Thanks. Figured devious owners/GMs/players might find a way... Good that the NHL (Bettman? lol ) fixed that.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Hearing that Letang camp informed Penguins earlier tonight that they were turning down an 8-year contract offer worth around $56 million...
Whether more contract talks are coming or whether Pens put Letang on trade market remains to be seen...
Also told that Letang camp counter-offered with a long-term deal which would pay less than $8 M (north of $7.5 M); Pens said too high

Wow. Letang and his agent playing hard ball.

So looks like he'll be traded.

Anybody have any guesses on where he gets traded to?

I honestly would not be surprised to see Letang go to Edmonton for something like Yakupov + the 7th overall.

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Does he really think hes worth as much as Malkin and Crosby? Smh.

No, it sounds like the Penguins want to give him ~7 million, and he wants ~7.7-7.8 .

It's not a huge difference and I don't quite understand why he won't sign with them.

If he hits unrestricted free agency though, he'll easily make 8.25 or more.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
He won't Hit FA, i think he still has a year left on his deal. He is likely a trade candidate. I bet philly would trade out of the ass for him.

Also i want Philly to offer sheet Rask for the lol

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Non Minnesota non NHL news: Jokerit (non Bäckström/non Granlund SM-league team in Helsinki) will join the KHL (season 2014-2015).

tyratoku

May 28, 2010
MN
Non Minnesota non NHL news: Jokerit (non Bäckström/non Granlund SM-league team in Helsinki) will join the KHL (season 2014-2015).

Oh snap.

Jokerit was my favorite FEL team. I really liked their mascot/logo/uniform.

At least I'll be able to watch them on the ESPN app on my xbox now. That's cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad