Non Leaf Fans Opinion of Phil Kessel

Clock

May 13, 2006
Elite-level complimentary offensive player.

Not the sort of guy to build a team around, however.

As a Sabres fan, I don't think a Vanek comparison is terribly far off.

Hyack57

Aug 6, 2004
Airdrie, AB
He's a gifted offensive producer, an underrated play-maker and a complete gong-show in pretty much every other facet of hockey.

He's the guy you add towards the end of a build to put a team over the top. He's not the guy you build around.

In a non-cap world, would be happy to take him on the Blackhawks, where he'd have plenty of possession drivers to insulate him and afford him the best matchups.

I agree with this. A very good offensive player. Not a captain or a leader type. Sort of like how Mikael Samuelsson and Radim Vrbata are for us in the sense they are offensive guys who give you chances to score and compliment the possession players very nicely. But you don't build around them.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Bad driver of the car, best passenger in the league.

You stick him on a Chicago, Anaheim, any team with depth and watch the nightmare unfold for opposing teams.

Hope he gets traded so i can actually cheer for him again.

Q would not tolerate his lack of D effort and lazy/soft play

These comparisons to Kane are laughable

- Kane is much better defender and puts in honest effort most nights unlike Kessel
- Kane is willing to go into corners to fight for puck unlike Kessel
- Kane is willing to take hit to make something happen unlike Kessel
- Kane is a shifty player who controls flow of offense ,, Kessel is not

Vanek and Semin are more comparable to Kessel

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
This won't end well..

He's a top tier goal scorer. First liner. He's not perfect, but he does his job well and he'd be better if he would have a legit passing 1C.

He really isn't a top tier goalscorer though. Those guys score 50 goals, Kessel is a definite step below those guys.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Q would not tolerate his lack of D effort and lazy/soft play

These comparisons to Kane are laughable

- Kane is much better defender and puts in honest effort most nights unlike Kessel
- Kane is willing to go into corners to fight for puck unlike Kessel
- Kane is willing to take hit to make something happen unlike Kessel
- Kane is a shifty player who controls flow of offense ,, Kessel is not

Vanek and Semin are more comparable to Kessel

screw Q...he would tolerate the 40 plus lamp lighters he would produce...

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
who scores 50 goals annually?

Top tier goalscorers like Ovechkin and Stamkos, the next level below those guys has the guys who score 38 goals. Kessel is definitely a step down from those guys even if they don't score 50 every season. Kessel has never scored 40, he isn't on the top tier, clearly a step below.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I'm also a fan. I don't know why he gets the hate he does, aside from looking like a dougboy and everyone being infatuated with saying "He's awkward!".

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
There are certain early 1st round draft picks you don't build a team around. It's extremely rare as these guys have been relied upon from pee-wee to major junior, high school, USHL, and their U-XX teams in Europe. They tend to develop leadership abilities as they grow up. They have to. They have the talent to take their team to championship games as they grow up, and they take the responsibility. Crosby, Staal, Toews, Tavares, etc. I'd even place Ovechkin in that category.

Phil Kessel is one of the rare exceptions. The guy is a flake. He has all the talent and no leadership abilities. He gets criticized for his lack of conditioning, and he does nothing about it. A leader would take it personally, Phil doesn't care.

Phil would do well in a place where he can play second fiddle. With his contract he isn't going anywhere without a buyout and with Kessel the Leafs are going nowhere fast.

BloatedGuppy

Jun 29, 2007
Vancouver
Spectacular offensive talent. Wizard with the puck. Can dance competent defenders right out of their skates when he's going.

Lazy defensively. Soft. Seems to shy off contact and disappear as the intensity and physicality of a contest increases. Appears sullen when things don't break his way, and his conditioning is woeful.

Good complimentary player on a team that can compensate for his shortcomings. Calamity as the key player upon which everything centers.

Busboy

Jul 29, 2011
Kessel is a fantastic player. Such great speed and obviously has a tremendous release.

He would receive less heat if he wasn't forced into be the #1 guy. Ottawa went through something similar with Spezza, amazing talented player capable of dominating games but lacks a complete game and needed someone else (Alfie) to take the reigns and lead by example. Put him in that #1 role and he'll always be a little disappointing, but if he has someone else to shoulder the load then he would be perfect as a scoring threat who can focus on what he does best.

YearsintheWilderness

Jul 15, 2007

I'm sure the Leafs wish that they had gotten him for free...

...but alas, it didn't happen.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Great, great player.

But I wouldn't trade for him from a Habs POV, because his contract is so ****ing heavy

Thai jet*

Oct 23, 2014
Thailand
If he was part of the decision to give the home fans the bird at ctr ice after a win he is a cancer that no team should want. Not withstanding Grapes still wanting the non checking Phil on his '79-'80 Rockies.

SheldonJPlankton

Sponsor
Oct 30, 2006
What ought to scare teams most about Kessel is that the guy has likely peaked and he's probably on the downward slope of his career. The problem for Kessel is that soft, lazy one - dimensional guys like him typically don't fade well. They burnout like a lightbulb.

Three years from now Kessel is likely to be the latest version of Gomez, without Gomez 's ability to adapt to a third line role. Whoever is stuck with him then...they will be screwed.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
I honestly need to watch him more without the puck to render an informed opinion. I suspect he is soft, but don't want to assume.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013

Came here say this about Vanek being a good comp. Both were this way as Gophers. Frustrating because they constantly leave you wanting more. Soft, selfish players who happen to have world class offensive ability.

Phil though would be a great fit with the Sharks, Ducks, Preds among others. As others have said he could be an amazing 2nd line wing on a contender with stout defense.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Top-tier offensive player.

Bottom-tier at pretty much every other thing that comes to mind.

How you view him depends on what you value in a player. Everyone knows exactly what Kessel is. The only thing that sparks debate is how we subjectively weigh his pros and cons against each other.

sanityplease

Jun 21, 2011
Pro: He was born to be an offensive, scoring winger. I can't think of another athlete who is so successful, based on natural physical ability. The league is full of guys who have busted their ***** (keep on doing through their pro career), working on their game & in the gym, who don't hold a candle to Phil's scoring ability & speed.

Cons: I don't think he could really do anything else if he wasn't born with his physical ability. Don't expect him to lead or be a good locker room guy, he plays for himself & probably won't change (don't expect him to start finishing checks or supporting in his own zone). Don't think he has much upstairs, that's why he comes off being awkward & strange. Worry that when he loses his step within a few years he'll be done quickly, ala, Heatley & Richards.

Phil plays his way & puts up serious #'s doing it.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Playing for the Toronto Maple Leafs a Canadian team that hasn't won a Stanley Cup in almost 50 years and has had failures after failures to make the playoffs in a salary cap league being poorly constructed team that lacks enough good defensive players with a crazy media and he was traded for pair of 1st round picks that turned out to be 2nd overall (Tyler Seguin) and a 9th overall (Dougie Hamilton) has put this introvert American player in the absolute worst possible situation he could be in. Despite this he has had multiple elite offensive seasons and even with that being said and that he has fought and beat cancer he get little respect from so many people. I would love to see him traded to a better team and not have to deal with this toxic environment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad