Non-Hockey Sports Thread XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
LMAO, who says basketball isn't a contact spot? From the Aussi/Philippines FBIA qualifier.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
In other news, the NBA took its final step towards being a complete joke today as DeMarcus Cousins signed with the Golden State Warriors.

With LeBron going to the West as well, you literally could not make an Eastern All-Star team that would beat the Warriors roster.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
In other news, the NBA took its final step towards being a complete joke today as DeMarcus Cousins signed with the Golden State Warriors.

With LeBron going to the West as well, you literally could not make an Eastern All-Star team that would beat the Warriors roster.
So stupid. Even if the NBA doesn't admit it's a problem, it's a problem.

The Celtics will be good, and 76ers are on the rise, but otherwise the East is a massive joke. Reseeding everyone 1-16 for the playoffs is not a great solution, but it's getting to the point where you have to consider it.

Last edited:

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
This is why modern stars in the NBA will never be looked at like Jordan, Bird, Thomas, Johnson, Ewing, Malone, Olajuwon, Kareem etc.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
This is why modern stars in the NBA will never be looked at like Jordan, Bird, Thomas, Johnson, Ewing, Malone, Olajuwon, Kareem etc.

You mean a team that has 2 or 3 of the top-5 players at their positions on their teams? Kareem/Magic, Jordan/Pippen, Bird/Mchale, Malone/Stockton. There has been super teams since the Auerbach Celtics days of the 60's, and MN Lakers of the 50's.

The Warriors are nothing new and have nothing on the 90's Bulls. If Jordan hadn't "retired" (forced out of the league due to his gambling problems, not on NBA games) The Bulls (probably) would have won 8 straight titles, instead of the 6 (2 threepeets).

The current East will just be the West of the 90's for a little while longer. At least it gives my Bucks a chance to sniff the Finals with LeBron out of the East.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
You mean a team that has 2 or 3 of the top-5 players at their positions on their teams? Kareem/Magic, Jordan/Pippen, Bird/Mchale, Malone/Stockton. There has been super teams since the Auerbach Celtics days of the 60's, and MN Lakers of the 50's.

The Warriors are nothing new and have nothing on the 90's Bulls. If Jordan hadn't "retired" (forced out of the league due to his gambling problems, not on NBA games) The Bulls (probably) would have won 8 straight titles, instead of the 6 (2 threepeets).

The current East will just be the West of the 90's for a little while longer. At least it gives my Bucks a chance to sniff the Finals with LeBron out of the East.

I seriously doubt there has ever been a lineup like this.

Reactions: BigT2002 and TaLoN

Wabit

May 23, 2016

I seriously doubt there has ever been a lineup like this.

I'll take your word on this. I'm too lazy to look, and really don't care enough about basketball.

Or you could look at it like it takes an All-NBA team to beat LeBron and some guys in the Finals. Really the Cavs wouldn't have been a Playoff team without LeBron. :popcorn:

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I'll take your word on this. I'm too lazy to look, and really don't care enough about basketball.

Or you could look at it like it takes an All-NBA team to beat LeBron and some guys in the Finals. Really the Cavs wouldn't have been a Playoff team without LeBron. :popcorn:
I actually hate the NBA. :laugh: Lebron can clearly take pretty much any team to the playoffs.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I actually hate the NBA. :laugh: Lebron can clearly take pretty much any team to the playoffs.

LeBron did everyone a favor in going to LA. It'll get that Ball kid's dad to shut up, or get the Ball kid traded to Siberia so his dad is irrelevant.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Awesome the way the Brewers beat the Twins tonight. A literal walk-off: bases loaded, 4 pitch walk.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Awesome the way the Brewers beat the Twins tonight. A literal walk-off: bases loaded, 4 pitch walk.
The Twins were supposed to take another step forward this year. I think they may end up having a fire sale, and then it's back to the abyss.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
The Twins were supposed to take another step forward this year. I think they may end up having a fire sale, and then it's back to the abyss.

Not all hope is lost yet. The Division is so bad from top to bottom there is still a chance. The Indians are up 10 games, but have played 9 more games against the Central. :thumbu:

But yea, they'll be sellers this year.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

Notice something about all those you listed? Those players were all drafted by their teams, and they were all competing against the others you listed.

In the 80's and 90's there were super teams, yes, but you seriously had at least 6 teams that had a shot at the title.

Lakers, Chicago, Boston, Detroit, New York, Houston, Utah... they all had legit teams that could compete and were all considered contenders.

We're seriously down to one right now. ONE team has a legit chance to win the title. Why even go through the motion of a season if you're a basketball fan?

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere

Know you're not really battling for it anymore, but this is the first time since the 60's Celtics where a team is going to field a Starting Lineup of all-stars from the previous year. So it isn't like this happened recently. The issue with this (speaking a casual fan) is it literally kills the NBA's watchability in my opinion. You're going to see 4 teams battle for the championship for the next 4 years basically. That means if you're, say, a Timberwolves fan -- there is no incentive for these elite players to come here since all Minnesota can do is offer the same amount of money that another bigger market team can offer. You're going to see Lakers, Warriors, Celtics and probably the 76'ers in the conference finals. Especially when Jimmy Butler leaves and partners up with Kyrie Irving on a team. And KAT decides he wants to play in a bigger market where it doesn't snow.

Timberwolves are like 150-1 to win the whole thing and like 50-1 to win the conference. Those are horrible odds lol. And its reflective since the East is a COMPLETE joke now. The Western Conference is so top heavy that they'll probably have to change the All Star teams up just to make it fair.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Know you're not really battling for it anymore, but this is the first time since the 60's Celtics where a team is going to field a Starting Lineup of all-stars from the previous year. So it isn't like this happened recently. The issue with this (speaking a casual fan) is it literally kills the NBA's watchability in my opinion. You're going to see 4 teams battle for the championship for the next 4 years basically. That means if you're, say, a Timberwolves fan -- there is no incentive for these elite players to come here since all Minnesota can do is offer the same amount of money that another bigger market team can offer. You're going to see Lakers, Warriors, Celtics and probably the 76'ers in the conference finals. Especially when Jimmy Butler leaves and partners up with Kyrie Irving on a team. And KAT decides he wants to play in a bigger market where it doesn't snow.

Timberwolves are like 150-1 to win the whole thing and like 50-1 to win the conference. Those are horrible odds lol. And its reflective since the East is a COMPLETE joke now. The Western Conference is so top heavy that they'll probably have to change the All Star teams up just to make it fair.

It was actually a mid-70s Celtics team, I saw it somewhere this morning.

Welcome to the world of Bucks (or most any East team) fans in the 90's. The only real hope back then was the Magic would stay together and unseat the Bulls from the East.

I was young and all sports were interesting, ESPN was about the channel I watched, basically a typical highschool boy for the time. Now the most I do is look at the scores of NBA games and check the standings a couple times a month, and the tv is barely on. The NBA is really less interesting to me than watching an entire F1 race or 2nd round of a golf tournament (both of which are just code for nap time).

I agree that the NBA is basically predetermined before the season who will be the last 2-4 teams standing, and everything else is just noise from the preseason until the Conference Finals. It's what I grew up with, so no outrage for me.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
It was actually a mid-70s Celtics team, I saw it somewhere this morning.

Welcome to the world of Bucks (or most any East team) fans in the 90's. The only real hope back then was the Magic would stay together and unseat the Bulls from the East.

I was young and all sports were interesting, ESPN was about the channel I watched, basically a typical highschool boy for the time. Now the most I do is look at the scores of NBA games and check the standings a couple times a month, and the tv is barely on. The NBA is really less interesting to me than watching an entire F1 race or 2nd round of a golf tournament (both of which are just code for nap time).

I agree that the NBA is basically predetermined before the season who will be the last 2-4 teams standing, and everything else is just noise from the preseason until the Conference Finals. It's what I grew up with, so no outrage for me.

Ah thats what it was! Good call. Think KFAN was talking about it this am.

Loved it back in the 90's and even the early 00's. It would be rough to make those super teams that they are making now. KFAN said it was KG's contract that started this whole thing with owners demanding a cap on how much one player could make. So now there is no difference between what the Lakers can give ya and what the Nets could give ya. It is just a matter of where you wanna live then. And that is what will kill Minnesota especially. Heck even legacy good teams like Detroit are going to be hard sells. Bad enough they already were discussing killing teams like the Wolves because the games were blacked out and tickets were not selling. Hell, even now they still have issues selling out games that are not the marquee games. Team isn't that great and if Butler leaves...you know this is going to fall apart quickly for them. Feel for the fans mostly.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
To make matters even worse for the Wolves, there's a report that came out today that said Butler is "fed up" with some of the younger Wolves players, specifically KAT. It also said he wants to team up with Kyrie Irving eventually.

lol. The Wolves are back to the cellar again soon as well.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I’m with ya. Only time I watch it is if it’s on at a pub I’m at. Usually if I can i will turn my back to it. Unwatchable in my book.

Meanwhile those Twins are sure a dumpster fire

Is it like this every game for the Twins? Even when their pitching shows up and allows only 4 hits and 2 runs, the bats develop holes and only manage 2 hits and no runs?

tomgilbertfan

#WhyBother
Jun 22, 2008
Minnesota
To make matters even worse for the Wolves, there's a report that came out today that said Butler is "fed up" with some of the younger Wolves players, specifically KAT. It also said he wants to team up with Kyrie Irving eventually.

lol. The Wolves are back to the cellar again soon as well.

Well I had a fun year of mediocrity!

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota

I think the skill of players has gotten a lot better too. We see that in hockey all the time now. Guys that would be some of the best at their position 20-30yrs ago. I think it's just more important in basketball to have that superstar player than any other sport because it's only 5v5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->