OT: Non-Hockey Sports Thread XII - Heeeeeeressss JJ! (Percy Harvin Edition)

Wabit

May 23, 2016
You're Packflating.

I agree with DB.

MN is already due a (conditional) comp pick (probably a 3rd) in next year's draft for Cousins leaving as a FA.

The tampering penalties are something that should punish the team doing it, but not reward anyone. A team might not even end up signing the player they tampered with. Following the same logic as MIN gets rewarded for ATL tampering, NE have gotten something from MIA for their tampering with Brady.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
The vikings are the least of the packers worries when it comes to the NFC North, regardless of where they select in the 1st round this year. I just think it’s incorrect to expect compensation at all, let alone a top 11 pick swap :help:
It's habit, you can't help yourself. :nod:

I agree with DB.

MN is already due a (conditional) comp pick (probably a 3rd) in next year's draft for Cousins leaving as a FA.

The tampering penalties are something that should punish the team doing it, but not reward anyone. A team might not even end up signing the player they tampered with. Following the same logic as MIN gets rewarded for ATL tampering, NE have gotten something from MIA for their tampering with Brady.
Shocking.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Shocking.

I could give 2 poops about the Vikings, they are just another team in the NFC to me. As a Packers fan they are the equivalent Lions of the 90's (non-Thanksgiving day games) to me. They have some really good players, and are fun to watch, and I only really care if they win/lose when they play GB. There just hasn't been the meaningful NFL games (outside of the Favre years) between MN/GB to have any bad blood for them.

I'm in S.WI and it's all Bears/Packers here. The only thing I see for a WI/MN rivalry is collage hockey (men and women). No NHL team in WI, MLB teams are different leagues, NBA teams are different Conferences, and the rest of the college sports I pay attention to UM is I just another school I expect UW to beat.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
The issue is expecting the vikings to get anything at all.

The recent examples are:

Chiefs lost their 3rd and 6th round picks in 2016 for tampering with Jeremy Maclin.

The Dolphins lost their 1st and 3rd round picks in 2022 for tampering with Tom Brady AND Sean Payton’s agent.

Cousins doesn’t warrant Atlanta losing their 1st or 2nd round pick. Thus, making them forfeit a mid round pick (and maybe a late round pick) is the logical punishment.

I brought up Lance Briggs, which you have ignored.

Maclin isn't a top 10/15 QB in the league and given that was 9 years ago and the NFL is still having problems with tampering, especially one as high of a caliber as Cousins and given that the NFL has evidence that the Falcons are alleged to have tampered with two FAs this off-season before the tampering period began, they are in a lot of hot water.

Dolphins didn't sign either Brady or Payton, but given the high profile of this case, expect the NFL to come down a little harder because this was a warning shot across the bow for all NFL teams to stop tampering. If they don't make an example out of Atlanta, a minor draft pick doesn't do it (who the hell cares about a 3rd when you sign THE top free agent AND another decent WR), why not have a free for all in free agency? This comes back to the poison pill Minnesota created. The NFL is going to look at this and come down hard.

Who says Atlanta is going to lose their 1st round pick? It's a SWAP of picks. Atlanta picks later in the draft (and it's not even the 23rd). Minnesota gets the 8th, Atlanta gets the 11th. Where in that do they lose a draft pick?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
The issue is expecting the vikings to get anything at all.

The recent examples are:

Chiefs lost their 3rd and 6th round picks in 2016 for tampering with Jeremy Maclin.

The Dolphins lost their 1st and 3rd round picks in 2022 for tampering with Tom Brady AND Sean Payton’s agent.

Cousins doesn’t warrant Atlanta losing their 1st or 2nd round pick. Thus, making them forfeit a mid round pick (and maybe a late round pick) is the logical punishment.
They wouldn't be losing their pick. They'd be swapping it.

I brought up Lance Briggs, which you have ignored.

Maclin isn't a top 10/15 QB in the league and given that was 9 years ago and the NFL is still having problems with tampering, especially one as high of a caliber as Cousins and given that the NFL has evidence that the Falcons are alleged to have tampered with two FAs this off-season before the tampering period began, they are in a lot of hot water.

Dolphins didn't sign either Brady or Payton, but given the high profile of this case, expect the NFL to come down a little harder because this was a warning shot across the bow for all NFL teams to stop tampering. If they don't make an example out of Atlanta, a minor draft pick doesn't do it (who the hell cares about a 3rd when you sign THE top free agent AND another decent WR), why not have a free for all in free agency? This comes back to the poison pill Minnesota created. The NFL is going to look at this and come down hard.

Who says Atlanta is going to lose their 1st round pick? It's a SWAP of picks. Atlanta picks later in the draft (and it's not even the 23rd). Minnesota gets the 8th, Atlanta gets the 11th. Where in that do they lose a draft pick?
Swapping 8 with 23 is definitely something I could get behind. Fair is fair.

Reactions: fgobuzz

Wabit

May 23, 2016
That'd be a bit much. I don't think fans realize how tampering can impact the game.

I think too much is made out of it. Every post game handshake between players/coaches could be considered tampering. Something as simple as players bsing at the probowl (or whatever) about playing on the same team or saying you'd love it here at my team is tampering.

If the league was serious about tampering they would start FA the day/week after the Super bowl. The league is about keeping itself relevant year round. It's why FA is a month after the Super Bowl, and the Draft is a month after that (the kids haven't played a game in 4 months).

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Early season baseball is so much fun to watch. Players are healthy, new kids are getting their first shots, and the pitchers (as a whole) make more mistakes.

I'll be sad come mid June when the dogdays have set in and the grind has set it.

Reactions: Jbcraig1883

Soldier13Fox

jävlar anamma (f'ing embrace, get with it)
Sponsor
Oct 8, 2013
Coon Rapids
Wish the t pups would've played like this last Sunday when I brought my nephews to the game. This is great

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Regardless of all the talk, I'm skeptical that the Vikings and Falcons will end up swapping picks #8 and #11 due to Atlanta's tampering with Cousins. However, if the Falcons had to give up #8 as punishment, that would move the Vikings pick up 1 from #11 to #10. I would be ok with that.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Regardless of all the talk, I'm skeptical that the Vikings and Falcons will end up swapping picks #8 and #11 due to Atlanta's tampering with Cousins. However, if the Falcons had to give up #8 as punishment, that would move the Vikings pick up 1 from #11 to #10. I would be ok with that.
Purple Daily went over this stuff in one of their recent episodes. The tampering last year that resulted in pick swaps was a mutually agreed upon deal between the teams. All the league issued punishments took a year to happen.

Atlanta isn’t going to agree with anything involving their top 10 pick. If the Vikings don’t want to swap mid round picks, then it’ll likely be the league just makes Atlanta forfeit a 2025 pick or two.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
On Saturday afternoon, I watched an entire NBA game for the first time since Kevin Garnett was still patrolling Target Center. I'm on the bandwagon and looking forward to tonight's game.

Reactions: 7dayBender

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
It would pretty funny if the Vikes give up #11 + #23 + a 2025 1st and Sam Darnold ends up being really good next year.

That would be the best scenario. Gives the rookie qb a whole season to develop without being thrown into the fire and devalues next years 1st round pick.

Worst scenario is that Darnold stinks and the rookie isnt ready and next year's 1st is in the top 10

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
That would be the best scenario. Gives the rookie qb a whole season to develop without being thrown into the fire and devalues next years 1st round pick.

Worst scenario is that Darnold stinks and the rookie isnt ready and next year's 1st is in the top 10
Yeah, but also means we traded away 2 1st round picks when we didn't end up needing to.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Yeah, but also means we traded away 2 1st round picks when we didn't end up needing to.

The price to pay to have a young qb on a rookie contract.

I hope Darnold is able to salvage a career as a starting QB....but if he has a good to great year, his price tag will jump considerably. Does he turn into a great QB or just another Case Keenam?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
The price to pay to have a young qb on a rookie contract.

I hope Darnold is able to salvage a career as a starting QB....but if he has a good to great year, his price tag will jump considerably. Does he turn into a great QB or just another Case Keenam?
That was independent of how the rookie QB turns out. Obviously if he becomes a top 5 QB then it stops mattering much.

I'm just picturing something like 35 TDs and 8 INTs and we end up fighting for the division, and now we can't justify keeping him around because we're pot-committed to a rookie with 0 games played and we have no idea if he's good or not. Would just be funny to me is all.

Sort of ironically, he's actually now at the age that Cousins was when he turned into a legit quarterback, and if everybody is talking about how our situation is the best that a 1st round QB has ever walked into, I'm not sure that it's too far-fetched.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
It would pretty funny if the Vikes give up #11 + #23 + a 2025 1st and Sam Darnold ends up being really good next year.
I think it would funny if the vikings traded all of that for Maye and then Penix Jr ends up a better quarterback. If Penix Jr didn't have injury history, I question where he would go in the draft.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I think it would funny if the vikings traded all of that for Maye and then Penix Jr ends up a better quarterback. If Penix Jr didn't have injury history, I question where he would go in the draft.

Anything is possible.

That was independent of how the rookie QB turns out. Obviously if he becomes a top 5 QB then it stops mattering much.

I'm just picturing something like 35 TDs and 8 INTs and we end up fighting for the division, and now we can't justify keeping him around because we're pot-committed to a rookie with 0 games played and we have no idea if he's good or not. Would just be funny to me is all.

Sort of ironically, he's actually now at the age that Cousins was when he turned into a legit quarterback, and if everybody is talking about how our situation is the best that a 1st round QB has ever walked into, I'm not sure that it's too far-fetched.

This could turn alot of different ways, which is why its so fascinating.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad