OT: Non-Hockey Sports Thread X - The Search is on! (Scramblin' Fran Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Vikes need to have a young QB waiting in the wings, like the Packers always seem to. It's amazing how a great QB makes an OL look good, and vice versa. We have a decent, but overpaid QB, and a below average O line. When was the last time we had a good one- Birk, Hutchison, and Mckennie?

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
The GM is the one who has to make the decision on what scouts to hire and which ones to trust. Scouts do not make the decision on who to pick

i agree on that, however i will say theres been some definite question marks on some of the drafting. and some definite first round busts. Ive never felt spielmen was the right choice and actually hated it when they hired him when they got rid of the 3 person GM trifecta thing.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Vikes need to have a young QB waiting in the wings, like the Packers always seem to. It's amazing how a great QB makes an OL look good, and vice versa. We have a decent, but overpaid QB, and a below average O line. When was the last time we had a good one- Birk, Hutchison, and Mckennie?
Bryant McKinnie sucked.

Reactions: TaLoN

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN

Brett favre era, and the moss era are the only times i remember our line not being an issue as sad as that is.

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
Brett favre era, and the moss era are the only times i remember our line not being an issue as sad as that is.
I’m a huge believer in a strong offensive line (especially for young QBs) but the quarterback can mask a lot of deficiencies of an o-line. Look at the years 2016-2018. In 2017 we had a mobile QB and the offensive line was not relied on as much in the passing game. Having a statue in the backfield in 2016 and 2018 definitely was an issue. That’s why establishing who your franchise QB is, is so important. I.e. having Lamar Jackson as your QB means targeting more towards TE’s and other skill position players. Whereas having Jared Goff means prioritizing the O-Line because Jared is accurate enough and smart enough to make the right decisions when he has time.

I’d say at this current moment our line is about average. But it is also young. I’m not a fortune teller so I won’t tell you what it will look like in the future but this is the best the O-line has looked since probably 2012-2013???? (Again that’s not saying much since it’s been below average since then)

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
I’m a huge believer in a strong offensive line (especially for young QBs) but the quarterback can mask a lot of deficiencies of an o-line. Look at the years 2016-2018. In 2017 we had a mobile QB and the offensive line was not relied on as much in the passing game. Having a statue in the backfield in 2016 and 2018 definitely was an issue. That’s why establishing who your franchise QB is, is so important. I.e. having Lamar Jackson as your QB means targeting more towards TE’s and other skill position players. Whereas having Jared Goff means prioritizing the O-Line because Jared is accurate enough and smart enough to make the right decisions when he has time.

I’d say at this current moment our line is about average. But it is also young. I’m not a fortune teller so I won’t tell you what it will look like in the future but this is the best the O-line has looked since probably 2012-2013???? (Again that’s not saying much since it’s been below average since then)
Getting rid of Elflein was addition by subtraction too.

Last edited:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
Not sure if you are being really witty and I don't quite get it, or if "addiction" is a typo.

Reactions: GuerinUp

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
In contrast to the Jets-Wild rivalry, the other Twin Cities sports teams claim Manitoba as part of their territory. Vikings games are frequently televised in the province.

While Manitoba is in the Twins' blackout territory, AFAIK games aren't televised there, but if they were, they'd likely be on TSN 3 simulcast from FS North.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
NFL.com speculates Kirk Cousins could be on the move this offseason
There was speculation at the beginning of the season that the Vikings could move on from Kirk Cousins after the 2020 season.
That talk cooled off after the team, and Cousins, started to play better. But now that the Vikings are almost certain to miss out on the playoffs, the chatter has started again.
Gregg Rosenthal over at NFL.com went over quarterbacks who could be on the move this offseason and speculated that Cousins could be on his way to San Francisco if the 49ers cut ties with Jimmy Garoppolo.
Cousins only has one year left of guaranteed money on his contract and would be easier to trade than Ryan. A deal would actually save the Vikings $11 million in cap space — while also opening up a huge quarterback conundrum. Shanahan’s long-term love for Cousins makes the prospect of his relocation something more than idle speculation.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
I think Cousins has been a top 8-11 QB this year and I don't have faith we'll be able to replace him with something better in the short term. I'd be comfortable running it back another year.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
What an awful start to the game. Cousins trips twice on his own guy, a holding penalty, and two passes blocked at the line of scrimmage. :laugh:

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
What an awful start to the game. Cousins trips twice on his own guy, a holding penalty, and two passes blocked at the line of scrimmage. :laugh:
Decided to just watch redzone today with all the games with playoff implications. Does that make me a bad Vikings fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->