OT: Non-Hockey Sports Thread X - The Search is on! (Scramblin' Fran Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
This is the worst three game stretch of play by Harrison Smith i have ever seen. The costly penalties he has taken have been...costly.

This team's collapse reminds me of some of the Wild's mid year collapses under Yeo.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
This is the worst three game stretch of play by Harrison Smith i have ever seen. The costly penalties he has taken have been...costly.

This team's collapse reminds me of some of the Wild's mid year collapses under Yeo.

What collapse? They started 1-5 and even their winning streak included games they probably shouldn't have won (Carolina, Jacksonville, Chicago). They've been what they are all season.

Reactions: 2Pair

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019

The lack of effective D-line play in both the rush and passing game has destroyed this defense.

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
It was actually not looking too bad, then Kendricks injured his calf. He IS the defense.

His absence the last 3 games have made that apparent.
Yes but the d line has been terrible all year and the main cause of why this has been Zims worst defense

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Well, you take out Pierce, who is good, I'm assuming, and Hunter, who is pro bowl calibre, then Barr and Kendricks, and you're going to have trouble up front. I've actually been impressed by the young corners. When everyone comes back next year they might have a good defense, though i think Barr is going to be gone.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Well, you take out Pierce, who is good, I'm assuming, and Hunter, who is pro bowl calibre, then Barr and Kendricks, and you're going to have trouble up front. I've actually been impressed by the young corners. When everyone comes back next year they might have a good defense, though i think Barr is going to be gone.
For the record, the defense actually improved when Barr went down. Wilson has completely outplayed him.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Defense gets better next year with Hunter, Barr and Pierce back, and the corners being a year older in the league. The offense gets better when they draft a 1st round LT, or Kyle Pitts from Florida.

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
The Vikings are and have been a dumpster fire for years. Starts at the top with the Wilf buffoons and Speilman.
Speilman has become an elite drafter, is sub par in trades, and above average in free agent acquisitions. Only real knock is not drafting a franchise QB. It’ll be hard to find a significantly better GM

Dee Oh Cee

Aug 4, 2010
Eagan
I think Spielman hits a lot in the draft, but only in certain positions. It is still an indictment against him that here we are in 2020 still discussing two of the major problems being OL and QB.

Reactions: GuerinUp

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Speilman has become an elite drafter, is sub par in trades, and above average in free agent acquisitions. Only real knock is not drafting a franchise QB. It’ll be hard to find a significantly better GM

Disagree, his drafting of offensive linemen has been putrid at best, and he has continuously ignored the massive need to upgrade the offensive line. "oh we need tackles and guards, lets draft more recievers and cornerbacks" he could be very easily replaced. Also, drafting has much more to do with the actual scouts than the GM.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Disagree, his drafting of offensive linemen has been putrid at best, and he has continuously ignored the massive need to upgrade the offensive line. "oh we need tackles and guards, lets draft more recievers and cornerbacks" he could be very easily replaced. Also, drafting has much more to do with the actual scouts than the GM.
He's drafted OL for the last few years. I don't know how one can say it's been ignored. We've drafted, and signed OL. They're aware of the issue, it just hasn't worked out in their favor.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
He's drafted OL for the last few years. I don't know how one can say it's been ignored. We've drafted, and signed OL. They're aware of the issue, it just hasn't worked out in their favor.

Hes drafted OL late in drafts, and used his high picks on players of positions not as needed. which is exactly the problem. A great team starts and stops with the play of the offensive and defensive lines.. you dont get a great team by picking 1 lineman in the first round every 20 years, and then signing garbage for high dollars in free agency.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Since Speilman took over, he drafted a tackle 4th overall; used 2nd, 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks on offensive linemen the last 4 drafts; and signed Remers and Reiff. It hasn’t been ignored, it just hasn’t worked out.

GuerinUp

Aug 1, 2009
Columbia Heights, MN
Since Speilman took over, he drafted a tackle 4th overall; used 2nd, 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks on offensive linemen the last 4 drafts; and signed Remers and Reiff. It hasn’t been ignored, it just hasn’t worked out.

cleveland bradbury and oneill should pan out, but we really need guards. Samia and elflien are busts. i stand corrected on draft orders, but i still think spielman is replaceable

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
The GM is the one who has to make the decision on what scouts to hire and which ones to trust. Scouts do not make the decision on who to pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad