OT: Non-Hockey Sports Thread IX - Let's Go Bowling! (Two-Minute Tommy Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Cousins has the tools but no toolbox, to borrow a hockey term. Costly penalties by Rieff(negating a 34 yd. gain and costing them 10yds.) and Griffen(negating a 3rd down stop). Rhodes and Waynes can't cover anyone.

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
We’re likely gonna have to win out to have any chance at winning the division. That bears loss will be the tiebreaker

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN

“Whenever we were stalling, Mark Dantonio would say, ‘Hey, jump into (the) two-minute (offense),’” Cousins said. “Many times, you jump into two-minute, it has a different feel to it, and next thing you know you’re going.”

So the Vikings began the opening drive of the second half up-tempo. Even though it took them nine plays to span 75 yards for their first score, they did it in 3 minutes, 31 seconds. They went no-huddle and called plays at the line of scrimmage with a possession that offered initial hope that perhaps this group could start putting up some points after their first five drives ended poorly.

The only drawback to the plan is that teams usually have a finite amount of plays for their two-minute drill. So using up nine of those plays on the opening drive of the second half left the Vikings in need of some tweaks.

“You have to have a lot of code words, so you’re saying the same thing with a different word,” Cousins said. “You have multiple hand signals for the same play. You try to dress it up with motions and shifts, and then you get pretty inventive.”

What that meant was backyard, sandlot football. After burning through a whole package of two-minute drill plays, Stefanski got out a whiteboard and marker and started drawing brand new plays from scratch.

“One of them was a big play to Dalvin,” Cousins said. “… There were a few times they did that and it ended up being big plays, which is a great job by them on the fly in between possessions.”
That's good stuff right there!

I love Diggs' passion!

Last edited:

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Still not sold on Gophers football. Beat one decent team and lost to a team with 3 losses. They are not "elite"...not yet.

Mookie Blaylock

The in between is mine
Apr 16, 2014
Porch
Still not sold on Gophers football. Beat one decent team and lost to a team with 3 losses. They are not "elite"...not yet.
I agree, but they were not suppose to be this good yet. If they somehow get to the Rose Bowl, it would be huge for recruiting. The story on Bateman from the Athletic is awesome.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
As I recall we saw all the "we're going to be a perennially great program" hype following Mason and Kill hirings. So forgive my hesitancy towards Fleck.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
As I recall we saw all the "we're going to be a perennially great program" hype following Mason and Kill hirings. So forgive my hesitancy towards Fleck.
I don't remember that at all. I remember hearing nothing but skeptics and myself never getting interested in them until this year started coming out of nowhere.

The Gophers have never been taken seriously in my entire life until maybe right now... MAYBE.

BTW - Penn State getting steamrolled by Ohio State. 21-0.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
I don't remember that at all. I remember hearing nothing but skeptics and myself never getting interested in them until this year started coming out of nowhere.

The Gophers have never been taken seriously in my entire life until maybe right now... MAYBE.

BTW - Penn State getting steamrolled by Ohio State. 21-0.
21-14 now.

Now 21-17.

Last edited:
Reactions: TaLoN

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
If anyone was the one who preached that stuff, it was Brewster. Mason took a dog crap program and brought it back to being respectable. Kill did the same but to a lesser extent. So far PJ has lived up to what he said his goal was and as long as we keep having success I'm not going to doubt him.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
If anyone was the one who preached that stuff, it was Brewster. Mason took a dog crap program and brought it back to being respectable. Kill did the same but to a lesser extent. So far PJ has lived up to what he said his goal was and as long as we keep having success I'm not going to doubt him.

Well he's got a decent stadium and facilities.

I will - like with all my MN teams - remain hesitant and cynical towards any success(es) and withhold opinion on him.

The one thing he can do to bring more towards believing in him is keeping the blue chippers in-state, in-state.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
You only attract Blue chippers when you win, and assure the players that they will get eyes on them. I would guess that Bateman is happy he decided to move up here, rather than be the 5th wideout on a team like FSU or OK. It takes time, though. Hard to say no when Notre Dame, Ohio State, and Oregon are begging you to play for them.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
Well he's got a decent stadium and facilities.

I will - like with all my MN teams - remain hesitant and cynical towards any success(es) and withhold opinion on him.

The one thing he can do to bring more towards believing in him is keeping the blue chippers in-state, in-state.
You mean what equates to blue chips in our state. Outside of maybe 1-2 linemen every few years we really don't produce "noteworthy" recruits for football. Basketball on the otherhand is completely the opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad