OT: Non-Hockey Sports Thread IX - Let's Go Bowling! (Two-Minute Tommy Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Larry Fitzgerald would like to disagree. Probably the last thing from a diva in the league regardless of position. But you’re right on that it’s the nature of the position. Especially because of how it is completely dependent on who is throwing the ball. You could have three Julio Jones’ as wide receivers but if Nathan Peterman is the QB it doesn’t matter.
Andre Johnson, Deandre Hopkins, Julio Jones, AJ Green.
More examples of really good WRs that aren't/weren't divas. No a WR doesn't need to be a diva to be good.

Reactions: fentonsbrainchild

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Got up at 2:55am to watch the Shanghai Dragons first game of the season. Absolutely obliterated Guangzhou, 3-0.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Has anyone watched a "Homegrown Miracle"? I saw one episode and I've missed all the others. Wondering if will be on Youtube to catch up on.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
Yikes... didn't even hear about this until today...

Report: Heavy speeding led to former NFL QB Tarvaris Jackson's fatal car crash
Former NFL quarterback Tarvaris Jackson’s car crash was caused by him losing control of his vehicle while driving 70 mph in a zone with a 30 mph speed limit,
The crash reportedly occurred around 8:50 p.m. on April 12. Per TMZ, Jackson lost control while going around a bend in the road at 70 mph, slammed into a sign post and crashed into a ditch. The road was reportedly not well lit.

When emergency personnel arrived at the scene a few minutes later, Jackson was reportedly unable to give a reason for the crash. He was then transported to a local hospital and later pronounced dead.

Jackson was reportedly not tested for alcohol or drugs at the scene, but was wearing his seatbelt at the time of the crash.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Uh - does anyone want to guess what the hell Green Bay is thinking? Need a wide receiver in a deep wide receiver class - nah. We'll grab an overrated QB and a running back. Oh and a tight end!

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Uh - does anyone want to guess what the hell Green Bay is thinking? Need a wide receiver in a deep wide receiver class - nah. We'll grab an overrated QB and a running back. Oh and a tight end!
1) They did need a receiver. However, it’s not the end of the world with Adams, Funchess, Valdez-Scantling, and Lazard and trades can happen.
2) Love is going to get 3 years to learn from one of the best quarterbacks of all time. Utah State had nine new starters on offense this past year and I believe a coaching change as well. The year prior he was outstanding with almost 3600 yards, 32TDs, and 6 INTs.
3) Packers need a tight end after Graham flopped.
4) Both Jamaal Williams and Aaron Jones have their contracts ending after this season.

5) Even if one disagrees, I’d love to hear the argument for why the Packers won’t be 1st in the NFC North.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
Lafleur flexin on Rogers. Outside of Adams, none of those WR amount to much. And the Love pick makes less sense because you guys traded up to get him. He was going to fall out of the 1st so I don't know why your GM thought it was so important to grab him then. It's no secret that Rogers is unhappy with the teams decisions when it comes to drafting certain positions.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
5) Even if one disagrees, I’d love to hear the argument for why the Packers won’t be 1st in the NFC North.

That isn't saying much; being number 1 in a crap division isn't all that great. San Francisco got better, Arizona got better, Seattle got better, Tampa Bay got better, Carolina got better, New Orleans got better. Cowboys got better. For Rodgers, you at least give him one or two more shots at a Super Bowl before looking for a new QB.

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
1) They did need a receiver. However, it’s not the end of the world with Adams, Funchess, Valdez-Scantling, and Lazard and trades can happen.
2) Love is going to get 3 years to learn from one of the best quarterbacks of all time. Utah State had nine new starters on offense this past year and I believe a coaching change as well. The year prior he was outstanding with almost 3600 yards, 32TDs, and 6 INTs.
3) Packers need a tight end after Graham flopped.
4) Both Jamaal Williams and Aaron Jones have their contracts ending after this season.

I like Love a lot so that initially made me nervous about this pick but I’m so excited for Rodgers to mentor him. Rodgers is going to be such an ass and treat him with total contempt.

Packers might finish 1st but outside of KC there aren’t really any locks for division titles. Should come down to MN and GB and maybe Chicago if the Foles is anything of an upgrade and the defense is top 2 in the league.

But honestly the argument for why the Packers won’t win the north is simply its April and none of us know what’s going to happen in football season.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
That isn't saying much; being number 1 in a crap division isn't all that great. San Francisco got better, Arizona got better, Seattle got better, Tampa Bay got better, Carolina got better, New Orleans got better. Cowboys got better. For Rodgers, you at least give him one or two more shots at a Super Bowl before looking for a new QB.
Got 'em to the NFC championship and honestly, if Adams is able to stay healthy then the receivers are not a super big problem. Receivers weren't the issue against San Francisco; San Francisco had a running back with 220 yards rushing. If you take that single stat away, SF would have still had more rushing yards than the Packers. How was it the receivers fault the defense was getting bullied in the run game? The real questions come at the front of the defense and the additions of Kamal Martin (U of Minnesota LB) and Christian Kirksey (UFA). Will they be enough to really solidify a defense that has steadily been improving under Mike Pettine?
Packers might finish 1st but outside of KC there aren’t really any locks for division titles. Should come down to MN and GB and maybe Chicago if the Foles is anything of an upgrade and the defense is top 2 in the league.
Minnesota has a crap QB, probably worst in the division. They're a lock for third place simply because Detroit is an accident waiting to happen. Trubisky is god awful, Chicago got a huge upgrade at QB and *should* be #2 in the division (they beat MIN twice last year). There's a reason this meme exists:

Reactions: 57special

SYWTom

Dec 10, 2016
Surprised not more praise for the draft the Vikings had. Lots of national reports are giving them a great review for the manipulation of the draft board.

I agree that not trading up in the 4th was frustrating as I have seen other places but definitely got some good players according to their rankings, scheme fit etc.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Minnesota has a crap QB, probably worst in the division. They're a lock for third place simply because Detroit is an accident waiting to happen. Trubisky is god awful, Chicago got a huge upgrade at QB and *should* be #2 in the division (they beat MIN twice last year). There's a reason this meme exists:

Minnesota doesn't have a great QB, but they have a pretty good QB. Cousins had a better rating and a better completion rate than Rodgers, who everyone thought had a pretty down year last year.

Chicago got Foles, who can't stay healthy and is meh.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Got 'em to the NFC championship and honestly, if Adams is able to stay healthy then the receivers are not a super big problem. Receivers weren't the issue against San Francisco; San Francisco had a running back with 220 yards rushing. If you take that single stat away, SF would have still had more rushing yards than the Packers. How was it the receivers fault the defense was getting bullied in the run game? The real questions come at the front of the defense and the additions of Kamal Martin (U of Minnesota LB) and Christian Kirksey (UFA). Will they be enough to really solidify a defense that has steadily been improving under Mike Pettine?

Did you ever pay up on the bet you lost?

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Of course he didn't.
Screen_Shot_2018-10-25_at_11.02.15_AM.jpg

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
What in terms of actual football traits makes Foles better than Trubisky? slightly better accuracy. That’s all I can think of. “A lock for third”. I’ll take that bet that you won’t follow through on.

Reactions: 2Pair

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Minnesota doesn't have a great QB, but they have a pretty good QB. Cousins had a better rating and a better completion rate than Rodgers, who everyone thought had a pretty down year last year.

Chicago got Foles, who can't stay healthy and is meh.
LaFleur ran a more "dink and dunk" kind of offense as compared to Mike McCarthy's all out passing attack. They also just had their first 1,000 yard rusher since 2014. They had their second best regular season record with Rodgers at QB last season, so Rodgers isn't having to carry 100% of the load on offense anymore. For perspective, Rodgers still had 399 more passing yards and Minnesota has way more weapons receiving and rushing wise (two stars in Diggs and Thielen, Rudolph > Graham, Cook > Jones).

Almost any QB is better than Trubisky. Brett Hundley is probably better than Trubisky. The Packers should have lost to the Bears and would have if they had a QB who didn't miss throw after throw. My point is they went 8-8 with a terrible QB and if Foles stays healthy then I think they will return to the playoffs.

Last edited:

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
What in terms of actual football traits makes Foles better than Trubisky? slightly better accuracy. That’s all I can think of. “A lock for third”
You would think there would be more respect for the guy that dismantled your team a mere two years ago in the playoffs. Here, in case you forgot:

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
You would think there would be more respect for the guy that dismantled your team a mere two years ago in the playoffs. Here, in case you forgot:

lol. Salty much? It wasn't Nick Foles that dismantled our team, it was the RPO. You're right though, the Packers are God's gift to man and the Vikes are pure shit.

I look forward to the season (hopefully)

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019

I am not afraid of Nick Foles over the course of an entire season. And I still don’t understand how he’s a slightly more accurate, less mobile trubisky.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
lol. Salty much? It wasn't Nick Foles that dismantled our team, it was the RPO. You're right though, the Packers are God's gift to man and the Vikes are pure shit.

I look forward to the season (hopefully)
Salty? About what? I didn’t even start this discussion. I just gave what I thought in response to a packer discussion with a couple friendly pokes exchanged.

I do hope the season starts as planned.
I am not afraid of Nick Foles over the course of an entire season. And I still don’t understand how he’s a slightly more accurate, less mobile trubisky.
I mean, if you use completion percentage, that stat says that Trubisky is more accurate than Rodgers and Brady. That same stat has Cousins as a top 4 QB. I’m basing my opinion of Trubisky off of what I saw in game, which was perfectly designed offensive plays that were wiped away cause he couldn’t hit the open man.

Game 1: 26/45 228 yards 0TD 1INT
3 offensive points scored.

Game 2: 29/53 334 yards 1TD 2INT
13 offensive points

The yard totals aren’t terrible until you see the number of passes it took and he always threw one more INT than TD. Both games winnable. Both games lost by one score.

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
Salty? About what? I didn’t even start this discussion. I just gave what I thought in response to a packer discussion with a couple friendly pokes exchanged.

I do hope the season starts as planned.

I mean, if you use completion percentage, that stat says that Trubisky is more accurate than Rodgers and Brady. That same stat has Cousins as a top 4 QB. I’m basing my opinion of Trubisky off of what I saw in game, which was perfectly designed offensive plays that were wiped away cause he couldn’t hit the open man.

Game 1: 26/45 228 yards 0TD 1INT
3 offensive points scored.

Game 2: 29/53 334 yards 1TD 2INT
13 offensive points

The yard totals aren’t terrible until you see the number of passes it took and he always threw one more INT than TD. Both games winnable. Both games lost by one score.
Yeah I don’t think you watched Foles at all in Jacksonville. I think he’s a slight upgrade over Trubisky but I’m not afraid of them at all.

On a more general note I don’t think the Vikings or Packers are in the same class as the 49ers and Seahawks. Even the Eagles and Saints depending on quarterback health. With cousins we have a definite ceiling and the Packers haven’t added anything that helps them win now compared to the class of the NFC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->