OT: Non-Hockey Sports Thread IX - Let's Go Bowling! (Two-Minute Tommy Edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
And now the Betts trade is complete. Sounds like Graterol for Maeda is a separate deal, which is all the Twins are involved in. So no difference from the Twins' perspective.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
MLB has some new rules:
-Pitchers now must face a minimum of three batters or complete the half-inning in question before being removed from the game.
-Active roster will expand from 25 to 26 spots
-Teams may now carry no more than 13 pitchers on the active roster at any given time
-On Sept. 1 of each season, all teams will be required to carry 28 players with no more than 14 pitchers through the end of the regular season (including any tiebreaker games).
-the Shohei Ohtani rule: players who qualify as "two-way players" may appear as pitchers during a game without counting toward those aforementioned pitcher roster limitations. A player will qualify as a two-way player only if he has at least 20 innings pitched in MLB; and at least 20 MLB games started as a position player or designated hitter -- with at least three plate appearances in each of those games. Teams must designate their two-way players, and that designation will remain in effect for the remainder of that season and postseason.
-Position players (not two-way players) may now pitch only in extra innings or in games in which his team is losing or winning by more than six runs.
-Time limit has been reduced to 20 seconds for challenges
-Pitchers/2-way players have a 15 day minimum on the DL and options periods.

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
It didn't impact me. :naughty:
To be fair the reporter was asking him a difficult question and you can't expect him to have the same stance for 30 seconds

Honestly this fiasco is probably good for baseball, something interesting to happen to their mundane sport

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
To be fair the reporter was asking him a difficult question and you can't expect him to have the same stance for 30 seconds

Honestly this fiasco is probably good for baseball, something interesting to happen to their mundane sport
It's always funny to see how the other owners don't put their foot down and try and boot a guy like Crane out or at the very least call for more blood. I get that it is very hard if not impossible to remove a owner unless they do something heinous (murder/rape/racism), but if I was the Dodgers ownership group I'd be raising a ruckus outside Manfreds office.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
It's always funny to see how the other owners don't put their foot down and try and boot a guy like Crane out or at the very least call for more blood. I get that it is very hard if not impossible to remove a owner unless they do something heinous (murder/rape/racism), but if I was the Dodgers ownership group I'd be raising a ruckus outside Manfreds office.

How many other teams are cheating in their own ways and haven't gotten caught? It's hard to be righteous if your team is doing something it shouldn't.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
Sounds like Donaldson is already making a big impression on the youngsters down in Florida. Still think we need 1 more solid #2 starter to really make a push in the post season.

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Just looking at the NBA standings, the Wolves may have a legitimate chance at worst record in the league. Again. They currently have 16 wins. There are six teams in the East with between 17-20. The only team behind them is the Warriors, who are expected to get Steph Curry back in the next week or so for the first time all year.

And Towns is hurt again.

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
Just looking at the NBA standings, the Wolves may have a legitimate chance at worst record in the league. Again. They currently have 16 wins. There are six teams in the East with between 17-20. The only team behind them is the Warriors, who are expected to get Steph Curry back in the next week or so for the first time all year.

And Towns is hurt again.
I quit trying to care about the wolves around 18 months ago. Nothing is going to change until Glen Taylor sells the team.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
1 star makes you mentionalble
2 stars make you competitive
3 stars let you reach a final
4 stars dunk city
5 stars why bother playing
What's your definition of a star player? Depending on how you look at it the league is full of stars. If you're talking like Giannis, Lebron, Harden, Embiid, etc then there are not many teams with two or more of these types of players.
They’re going to win this year, at the very least make the playoffs. They’re so effing good.
They fell apart after being up 2-0 on Toronto in the playoffs. Hopefully that experience propels them this year.

SupremeNachos

Dec 6, 2011
Minnesota
What's your definition of a star player? Depending on how you look at it the league is full of stars. If you're talking like Giannis, Lebron, Harden, Embiid, etc then there are not many teams with two or more of these types of players.

They fell apart after being up 2-0 on Toronto in the playoffs. Hopefully that experience propels them this year.
Legit franchise changing players. So Lebron, Giannis, Kawhi, Curry etc. Guys like KAT, Embid, Walker are very good.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Continually hires incompetent GM’s, too involved in player acquisition process, players don’t like him (KG swore on national TV explaining his disdain for him), 2nd worse record over the past 15 years

It's not like he underpays. There is a cap. The bottom line is Minneapolis is the coldest large city in America, so most players just wouldn't want to be here even if we had a potentially good team. Taylor can only do so much.

At least Taylor is a Minnesotan - not some non-Minnesotan who just bought the Vikings to line his pockets.

Last edited:

fentonsbrainchild

Jul 29, 2019
It's not like he underpays. There is a cap. The bottom line is Minneapolis is the coldest large city in America, so most players just wouldn't want to be here even if we had a potentially good team. Taylor can only do so much.

At least Taylor is a Minnesotan - not some non-Minnesotan who just bought the Vikings to line his pockets.
He does too much from what I’ve heard. Also the cold weather hasn’t stopped Milwaukee from being absolutely dominant. I know they lucked into Giannis but it being cold can’t be an excuse for 15 years of futility.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
He does too much from what I’ve heard. Also the cold weather hasn’t stopped Milwaukee from being absolutely dominant. I know they lucked into Giannis but it being cold can’t be an excuse for 15 years of futility.
Imagine if the Bucks took Embiid instead of Jabari when they had a legit top 3 pick... Giannis is proof you can find a gem anywhere in the draft. Jabari is proof that a top 3 pick doesn’t mean anything.

Giannis is so dominant in the paint that if you surround him with four 3 point shooters they become almost unstoppable. Budenholzer requires everyone to be able to shoot the 3. With Giannis developing a 3 point shot, it’s just not fair for the other team.

Northerner

Feb 23, 2017
Imagine if the Bucks took Embiid instead of Jabari when they had a legit top 3 pick... Giannis is proof you can find a gem anywhere in the draft. Jabari is proof that a top 3 pick doesn’t mean anything.

Giannis is so dominant in the paint that if you surround him with four 3 point shooters they become almost unstoppable. Budenholzer requires everyone to be able to shoot the 3. With Giannis developing a 3 point shot, it’s just not fair for the other team.

We had Steph Curry. Like a dirtbag (if the story is true) he wanted nothing to do with MN because he wanted to golf. So....

Not that Steph would have guarateed the Wolves success, but we will never know...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->