NON CBA: Question regarding European Transfer Fee's/Regulations

Status
Not open for further replies.

FedorScores

Jun 20, 2004
Manitoba,Canada
milfhockey.com
Im trying to understand/comprehend how (for example) the Finnish Elite League teams such as Jokerit and Blues conduct negoations for transfers of players to the players NHL Team.

For example, is there any "default" or "standard" for the price of the players? What would be used to develop this standard (draft number, performance, 3rd party arbitrator) and if there is, where could I find this, with sources/example of some trend setters.

I've heard that the IIHF agreement is currently up, does the previous have nay guidelines to transfers? Where could you find the part mentioning them?

How exactly does the proccess work?

Thanks.

The Maltais Falcon

Jan 9, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Before I believe there was a flat fee regardless of how good the player was. The player had to be signed by a certain date in the offseason, either July or August 15th. After that date, he could be signed for an additional $100,000.

Now, the IIHF agreement is up and Russia is the main stumbling block. They want a lot more money than the previous agreement called for. For the time being, players can be negotiated on a case-by-case basis. I think Dynamo wanted $2,000,000 for Alexander Ovechkin this past offseason.

Flonaldo

FedorScores said:
Im trying to understand/comprehend how (for example) the Finnish Elite League teams such as Jokerit and Blues conduct negoations for transfers of players to the players NHL Team.

For example, is there any "default" or "standard" for the price of the players? What would be used to develop this standard (draft number, performance, 3rd party arbitrator) and if there is, where could I find this, with sources/example of some trend setters.

I've heard that the IIHF agreement is currently up, does the previous have nay guidelines to transfers? Where could you find the part mentioning them?

How exactly does the proccess work?

Thanks.
Here is the IIHF news release concerning the previous transfer agreement with the NHL: http://www.iihf.com/news/iihfpr5001.htm

When the agreement was in place Finnish clubs, or any other Euro clubs for that matter, did no negotiating whatsoever.

The prices were around 180k€ for first-rounders, 100k€ for all other players.

From now on there's no process in place for transfers. It's basically just whatever the Finnish club agrees to with a NHL team.

Wetcoaster

Flonaldo said:
Here is the IIHF news release concerning the previous transfer agreement with the NHL: http://www.iihf.com/news/iihfpr5001.htm

When the agreement was in place Finnish clubs, or any other Euro clubs for that matter, did no negotiating whatsoever.

The prices were around 180k€ for first-rounders, 100k€ for all other players.

From now on there's no process in place for transfers. It's basically just whatever the Finnish club agrees to with a NHL team.
Several countries are not pleased with the past system from an internal point and in particular the Russian Ice Hockey Federation.

While they produce a large number of hockey players the Russians only receive a portion of the money depending upon the draft position of the player once he is signed by the NHL. The rest of the money is distributed to all 63 IIHF members including such hockey powers as Greece, Andorra, Ireland, Brazil, Mexico, Kuwait, Israel, Turkey,Taipei, Hongkong, Thailand, India, Singapore, Argentina, Namibia, Macedonia and Liechtenstein.

The Rusians are not happy with the previous arrangement and have said they are looking for a better deal or they will negotiate their own transfer fees on case by case basis. The NHL currently pays about $10 million yearly to the IIHF and with individually negotiated transfer fees for elite players like Ovechkin and Malkin likely to be in the range of $2 - $3 million, the NHL would push for a similar deal once the CBA is settled.

The Montreal Canadiens recently negotiated a single-player deal for Andrei Kostsitsyn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad