Non-advanced team statistics with Babcock and Keefe (updated in OP 12/26/19)

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
This current version of the Maple Leafs was an average to below average defensive team under Babcock.

This current version of the Maple Leafs is an average to below average defensive team under the new guy Keefe.

One coach wanted more defense, and stressed more defense.

The other coach, well, who knows. Maybe inmates run the asylum?

:deadhorse
Leafs under Babcock were below average defensively.

Leafs under Keefe are average and improving defensively.

Last edited:

cipher

Jun 24, 2016
This team quit.

They quit on their coach.

Of course the stats will be skewed one way. Not by that much either.

All the young guys signed a fat contract given to them by the GM, and the very next season they quit on their coach.

Those stats do not matter for this team.

There is only one question.

Do quitters win in the playoffs?

:surrender

The fact it happened just last year, makes me question whether you even watch hockey. Here are some examples:

St Louis - 2019
Pittsburgh - 2016
Pittsburgh - 2009

Your obviously blinded by your disdain for Dubas and those contracts which based on your posting history tells me you stay awake at night thinking about them. Our three younger stars signed contracts and you extrapolate that to the whole team quitting on Babcock his year? Did you even watch this team last year? They were awful in the second half of the season so this wasn't isolated to this year alone.

I don't have blind hate for Babcock like some other posters here as I feel they are equally as bad as those who run around yelling Dumbass and constantly raising negative points when it comes to Kyle. In fact, I think Babcock was exactly the type of coach we needed early on, but his time had obviously come when it came to moving this team forward.

We have a young executive who is trying to bring an exciting brand of hockey to this city, along with a cup, and after finally being able to bring in his coach who shares his same philosophy we are seeing a huge turnaround in the performance of this team. Lets enjoy this ride and see where it takes us rather than always trying to tear down our players/leaders.

Finally, anyone who has watched hockey long enough knows that most team with top end talent take a while (ie 5+) years to win a cup. Players like Gretzky, Lemiuex, Ovechkin...you think any of these generational players one in the first 3-4 years. Lets support our boys through this decade and see how much enjoyment they will bring us. You may be pleasantly surprised.

deprw

Mar 7, 2010
I like your reply, but unfortunately I cannot share your enthusiasm.

Cheers.

Maybe your too Canadian, because as Finnish person I have seen huge difference that good coach can make. You have abundance of great hockey talent there and because of that maybe coaching to your is just one tiny bit of things? In Finland (as smaller hockey country example) we have went from mediocre to good talent, so we had to maximize that and we did that good coaching that had made huge difference. Leadership and tactic wise. If you look our national teams year to year. We have adapted from grinding to puck possession, when it have suited the trend (counter your opponent) and talent (you can actually play puck possession with right not so talented players with proper coaching). In every sport you have examples of dynasties trough coaching or underdog stories.

What's the difference? Made whole team play same game, maximize their abilities and adapt game to game. If you look great coaches or managers like Alex Ferguson they adapt and learn all the time. Haven't seen many NHL coaches that adapt. Off course smaller ice surface makes game more intense and there isn't that much time, but I like the european style element Keefe brought to our game.

Hang on the puck, when you have puck they can't score and we have talent to keep that puck. You can see that players are still learning that system, but it's way different thinking of what Babcock did. Get rid of it, grind, shoot, dump and chase.

And I think you can understand concept of different approach to people, leadership and how that affect to people?That is part of coaching. Different people react to different approach. You can't coach Roman Polak and William Nylander same way. They have same rules, same expectations, but the communication and approach should differ.

Off course if you have abundance of talent you can build roster that is so homogenous that you can instill only one style of leadership and communication. Maybe that was kind of Babcock idea? Get rid of "bad person" and find right pieces of puzzle. I don't think that works in cap world or it's kind of compromise. There is lot of studies that diverse groups work better than homogenous.

I like more of that get best out of everyone approach and I think world is going to that direction. If you lead 00s generation same we you lead 60s or 70s your in trouble. That's the way it is nowadays. I think Dubas and Keefe are leaning that way and I believe in that, because I have seen how that works and people flourish.

Off course we all watch world trough our own perspective and you have to respect opinions, but it's hard to see where your coming from when you say that coach doesn't matter. I think it does. We have perfect example here.

All though if Babcock would have adapted we might have these same results, but we saw that he couldn't. So coach can make a difference. He had chance to learn that he chose to pass and maybe because of that players quit on him?

He praised accountability, but failed to follow his own practice.

TLDR. I know sorry...

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Maybe your too Canadian, because as Finnish person I have seen huge difference that good coach can make. You have abundance of great hockey talent there and because of that maybe coaching to your is just one tiny bit of things? In Finland (as smaller hockey country example) we have went from mediocre to good talent, so we had to maximize that and we did that good coaching that had made huge difference. Leadership and tactic wise. If you look our national teams year to year. We have adapted from grinding to puck possession, when it have suited the trend (counter your opponent) and talent (you can actually play puck possession with right not so talented players with proper coaching). In every sport you have examples of dynasties trough coaching or underdog stories.

What's the difference? Made whole team play same game, maximize their abilities and adapt game to game. If you look great coaches or managers like Alex Ferguson they adapt and learn all the time. Haven't seen many NHL coaches that adapt. Off course smaller ice surface makes game more intense and there isn't that much time, but I like the european style element Keefe brought to our game.

Hang on the puck, when you have puck they can't score and we have talent to keep that puck. You can see that players are still learning that system, but it's way different thinking of what Babcock did. Get rid of it, grind, shoot, dump and chase.

And I think you can understand concept of different approach to people, leadership and how that affect to people?That is part of coaching. Different people react to different approach. You can't coach Roman Polak and William Nylander same way. They have same rules, same expectations, but the communication and approach should differ.

Off course if you have abundance of talent you can build roster that is so homogenous that you can instill only one style of leadership and communication. Maybe that was kind of Babcock idea? Get rid of "bad person" and find right pieces of puzzle. I don't think that works in cap world or it's kind of compromise. There is lot of studies that diverse groups work better than homogenous.

I like more of that get best out of everyone approach and I think world is going to that direction. If you lead 00s generation same we you lead 60s or 70s your in trouble. That's the way it is nowadays. I think Dubas and Keefe are leaning that way and I believe in that, because I have seen how that works and people flourish.

Off course we all watch world trough our own perspective and you have to respect opinions, but it's hard to see where your coming from when you say that coach doesn't matter. I think it does. We have perfect example here.

All though if Babcock would have adapted we might have these same results, but we saw that he couldn't. So coach can make a difference. He had chance to learn that he chose to pass and maybe because of that players quit on him?

He praised accountability, but failed to follow his own practice.

TLDR. I know sorry...

Great post.

What you say is very compelling. And yet research on the subject suggests that changing a head coach rarely makes an impact.

We are left with why? Why does this inconsistency exist.

As I see it, it’s as clear as day from your post.

Many assume that there is 1 person that is responsible for these systems. For the culture. For the analysis that goes on behind the wheel.

There isn’t. There is a machine.

The Leafs machine includes over 16 OTHER individuals associated with strategy, analysis, player development as well as the physical and mental outlook of the team.

Setting aside the issue of player talent and health, changing one person within this structure may seem significant but it isn’t.

That’s why the research tends to show what it shows. A coaching change seems significant for a fan base hungry for change and eager to point fingers but overall, the machine continues to do what it does.

Hockey is too complex... and beautiful... for auto play mode.

deprw

Mar 7, 2010
Great post.

What you say is very compelling. And yet research on the subject suggests that changing a head coach rarely makes an impact.

We are left with why? Why does this inconsistency exist.

As I see it, it’s as clear as day from your post.

Many assume that there is 1 person that is responsible for these systems. For the culture. For the analysis that goes on behind the wheel.

There isn’t. There is a machine.

The Leafs machine includes over 16 OTHER individuals associated with strategy, analysis, player development as well as the physical and mental outlook of the team.

Setting aside the issue of player talent and health, changing one person within this structure may seem significant but it isn’t.

That’s why the research tends to show what it shows. A coaching change seems significant for a fan base hungry for change and eager to point fingers but overall, the machine continues to do what it does.

Hockey is too complex... and beautiful... for auto play mode.

Off course there are many moving parts in NHL organization including management, coaching, scouting and analytics. Same with all major sports, because hockey and sports are complex. GM is CEO and head coach is basically COO. You have to remember that if GM sticks they coaching change never happens in vacuum. GM sticks with his vision and players have their own. They are thinking individuals as well and has their own ideas of game and how it should be played.

About coaching changes. When teams usually decide they need new coach? When there is something wrong. Let say that Canadiens change Julien right now, does it change their players any better or GM more capable of building team?

If new coach can find some "magic potion" he can get better results past that short boost that changing coach usually gives a team. Usually teams that change coaches have lingering problems, like weak roster overall, injuries or leadership problems. Sometimes you actually have right player personnel like Penguins had 2009 and 2016 or Devils 2000, but coach is wrong. Sometimes it's just something you have to do, team isn't responding and coach is out of ideas. Then you change coach even though you know that isn't helping that much.

In our case I think we fell to that right personnel and wrong coach category. Then we get to that other part.

Hockey is complex it's fast paced, but so is soccer and football. That's why you need some kind of structure to your game. Forecheck is controlled it can be 2-1-2 or 1-2-2 etc. When you play in your own zone you defend zone or men. You have clear structure how you breakout, even if it's dump and chase your wingers are near offensive blue line or if you breakout with stretch passes you have to get man open on neutral zone. You say hockey is complex for auto play mode. Off course it is, but you have to have structure. Where you have puck support, when your dman has a puck or if it's on neutral zone do we try to dump it in or carry in. Then there are tendencies like on pinching and on physical play. Do you finish your checks or do you fall back to defend. Your coach decides is your forecheck active or do you apply pressure on neutral zone.

Keefe has changed our breakout, how we try to hang on the puck and how we play on offensive zone. All are active choices from head coach how we play and want to play. Off course it isn't perfect, because pace of the game and other team, but our players make some "auto play mode" decisions. On breakout we have more puck support and if we can't breakout we might circle back and keep puck possession. Using high forward on offensive zone is other example. Those decisions have to be on coaches control and then players use their skill around that. Structure and freedom to act around it. Actually now they can use more their creativity, than with Babcocks dump and chase system, when we tried to grind with our possession players. Players also need that structure, so they can play together. You have to have strategy, so it isn't game of five individuals. In perfect world that structure buys you more time on ice. You know were to pass before you have the puck.

Then there is GM who decides the team. Analytics who tell you what is working what isn't, then you decide if it's problem of execution rather than bad strategy. Scouting tells you that your opponent has weak defense and they can't handle pressure, so you can adjust your forecheck and apply your pressure. Next night your opponent has good defense, so you play safe etc.

Keefes system is working now and we see in the future if he can adapt, because teams will counter our play eventually. Babcock couldn't (or I say wouldn't) adapt and we were out coached. Our system didn't support our players. It wasn't on Dubas, because Keefe can have different system and players execute it very well, so it wasn't player personnel problem.

It was Babcock. Coaching changes doesn't always work and hockey isn't auto play, but still you need strategy and structure (that coach decides).

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
About coaching changes. When teams usually decide they need new coach? When there is something wrong.

First... really appreciate your discussion points as it's refreshing to see an actual discussion.

On your point above, teams can decide to change a coach for a number of reasons. Sometimes it's performance. Sometimes it's personality. Sometimes owners want to appease fans.

In this case, why did Dubas make a change? ... we can only theorize.

We have had losing streaks before and in every year, we have a similar record in the next 20 games. So I can't say it was panic over the record.

We also know that our GM wants to eliminate bias from the conversation as much as possible. Dubas has argued in favour of mean regression many times as that "longer term" data would eliminate the Recency Bias that he feels clouds a number of decisions.

I quoted an article earlier where Dubas explained to the Board that "PDO ... was a measure of luck, or variance. It was combined shooting and save percentage that tended to revert to 100. If a team is above 100, as the Leafs have been when hot, then that success is likely unsustainable. And vice-versa."

Dubas presumably believes what he says.

And of the 36 coaches to coach in the NHL this year, the team at the 23 game mark of this season under Babcock ranked 27th at a 99.1 PDO. Which means that this slump wasn't sustainable in Dubas' mind.

So why fire him? To me, it was an opportunity to put a person in that role that he lobbied for back in 2015. Someone he could trust. Valid reasons.

He used a slump as a the prime time to do it and analytically speaking... created the best chance for success for the new Coach as the slump would end and mean regression would happen naturally. As it did in the last 3 seasons under Babcock.

Interestingly, under Keefe's run of games... the Leafs are at the top of the league in PDO with a 103.8. (They are also at the top in shooting percentage which according to Dubas will cool off and regress)

Again, according to Dubas, this isn't sustainable but was likely to happen regardless of who was in charge.

I err on political firing based on player frustrations and misalignment with the GM.

If new coach can find some "magic potion" he can get better results past that short boost that changing coach usually gives a team. Usually teams that change coaches have lingering problems, like weak roster overall, injuries or leadership problems. Sometimes you actually have right player personnel like Penguins had 2009 and 2016 or Devils 2000, but coach is wrong. Sometimes it's just something you have to do, team isn't responding and coach is out of ideas. Then you change coach even though you know that isn't helping that much.

In our case I think we fell to that right personnel and wrong coach category. Then we get to that other part.

Hockey is complex it's fast paced, but so is soccer and football. That's why you need some kind of structure to your game. Forecheck is controlled it can be 2-1-2 or 1-2-2 etc. When you play in your own zone you defend zone or men. You have clear structure how you breakout, even if it's dump and chase your wingers are near offensive blue line or if you breakout with stretch passes you have to get man open on neutral zone. You say hockey is complex for auto play mode. Off course it is, but you have to have structure. Where you have puck support, when your dman has a puck or if it's on neutral zone do we try to dump it in or carry in. Then there are tendencies like on pinching and on physical play. Do you finish your checks or do you fall back to defend. Your coach decides is your forecheck active or do you apply pressure on neutral zone.

Keefe has changed our breakout, how we try to hang on the puck and how we play on offensive zone. All are active choices from head coach how we play and want to play. Off course it isn't perfect, because pace of the game and other team, but our players make some "auto play mode" decisions. On breakout we have more puck support and if we can't breakout we might circle back and keep puck possession. Using high forward on offensive zone is other example. Those decisions have to be on coaches control and then players use their skill around that. Structure and freedom to act around it. Actually now they can use more their creativity, than with Babcocks dump and chase system, when we tried to grind with our possession players. Players also need that structure, so they can play together. You have to have strategy, so it isn't game of five individuals. In perfect world that structure buys you more time on ice. You know were to pass before you have the puck.

Then there is GM who decides the team. Analytics who tell you what is working what isn't, then you decide if it's problem of execution rather than bad strategy. Scouting tells you that your opponent has weak defense and they can't handle pressure, so you can adjust your forecheck and apply your pressure. Next night your opponent has good defense, so you play safe etc.

Keefes system is working now and we see in the future if he can adapt, because teams will counter our play eventually. Babcock couldn't (or I say wouldn't) adapt and we were out coached. Our system didn't support our players. It wasn't on Dubas, because Keefe can have different system and players execute it very well, so it wasn't player personnel problem.

It was Babcock. Coaching changes doesn't always work and hockey isn't auto play, but still you need strategy and structure (that coach decides).

There are elements that have changed and line matching/juggling seems to be one of the main things that is different. And look, whatever is happening on the ice has been fun to watch.

I would caution though that in the world of eliminating recency bias in decisions... this team had the talent to be exactly where they are.

Last year at this point in time they had a 27-12-2 record for 56 points.

This year, they are 24-14-5 for 53 points.

Big picture, I'm not sure that much has changed. The team is where they expect to be.

Now, if given reasonable health and the same talent performance levels... the team can EXCEED expectations under Keefe... ie, win the Presidents' Trophy and Cup... he should absolutely take a bow when he collects his ring. It would be a collective effort of which he would have played a part.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
yet the system the team plays on the ice changed so obviously on game 1 of Keefes tenure that a baby could notice it.

I noticed Kapanen with a sweet move to set up a goal last night.

Did Keefe tell him to do that? Or was that just talent on display?

deltamachine

Mar 30, 2013

It could also be Kapanen being put on the third line where his skillset is suited and his speed and instinct is able to feast on lower defensive pairings. I like him on the 3rd line, speed kills and keeps the opposition honest.

Reactions: stopclickbait

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
This is so hilarious.

The Leafs are like the one example out there where a coaching change has a potentially high impact. All you need to do is look at Babcock's insane player usage, stretch pass to dump-and-chase transition that did not suit our team at all, needlessly splitting PP time between 2 units, etc etc... And above all that, the book is out on Babcock. He was a complete asshole who our young team had no interest in competing hard for. Players aren't stupid, they notice stupid shit that coaches do (like playing Brown and Marleau more than Matthews). The 100% tuned him out, and things weren't going to ever be the same.

If you have a working set of eyes, you can clearly see the different style this team is playing under Keefe and how it suits the roster so much better.

I don't even know how this is up for debate right now, Keefe topped Babcock's best 20 game hot-streak within his first 20 games as coach.

But again - you need to be unbiased and actually have a set of working eyes to see how much better the team is.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Research:

Trying to become the first team since the early 90s to score at least four goals in 10 straight games, the Maple Leafs say that their offence has evolved as they adapt to the new schemes and philosophies implemented by Sheldon Keefe.

:dunno:

FelixTheCaT29

Feb 22, 2019

Do you think Kapenen would try a sweet move like that or just make a safe play and dump the puck under Babcock? The skill set of the players doesn't change with a new coach but the new coach allows the players to actually use their skill set. I don't understand how you can still try to argue coaching doesn't make a difference when the team is clearly playing completely different under Keefe. No, is not because the players just gave up on Babcock, is because Keefe lets the players do their thing.

deprw

Mar 7, 2010
First... really appreciate your discussion points as it's refreshing to see an actual discussion.

On your point above, teams can decide to change a coach for a number of reasons. Sometimes it's performance. Sometimes it's personality. Sometimes owners want to appease fans.

In this case, why did Dubas make a change? ... we can only theorize.

We have had losing streaks before and in every year, we have a similar record in the next 20 games. So I can't say it was panic over the record.

I think he made the change, because he didn't see any progression trough start of the season. Babcock had 65 games streak with 0.500 record and if you look our results now. It's probably more than bad luck. Babcock was clearly unhappy with his backup, but wanted to play the game his own way. First game with starter. If you look how Dubas and Keefe have build up Hutchinsons confidence. It's different approach. Babcock also had his "we don't have enough depth" rant last season, but now that "bad depth" is playing for Keefe and we're winning. Marincin and Holl have played way better under Keefe. Dubas gave him depth pieces like Spezza and he mistreated him from the start and was ruining our reputations as a safe place for that kind of signings.

Babcock became bitter and his always been stubborn. They were out of sync with Dubas, it was clear as a day. If you watch how Keefe treats his players, there are no unnecessary mind games. Babcock started his own feud with Spezza at training camp and now his valued part of our team with Keefe.

What bothers me with Babcock is that he talked about keeping the puck, having fun and accountability. In the end he had dull dump and chase system, with coach washing his hands after 7th game when everyone was wonder where was Matthews during third period.

We also know that our GM wants to eliminate bias from the conversation as much as possible. Dubas has argued in favour of mean regression many times as that "longer term" data would eliminate the Recency Bias that he feels clouds a number of decisions.

I quoted an article earlier where Dubas explained to the Board that "PDO ... was a measure of luck, or variance. It was combined shooting and save percentage that tended to revert to 100. If a team is above 100, as the Leafs have been when hot, then that success is likely unsustainable. And vice-versa."

Dubas presumably believes what he says.

I think Dubas believes what he says. He might be right that our PDO is coming down, but we still score enough goals so that we can sustain right pace for playoffs. This streak is going to end and there will be bad bounces along the way. It won't be all roses whole season. I still think that Keefe can adapt to that phase and team will follow. I think he has earned enough respect inside the room, that we can grind trough those hard parts.

One thing is that usually great teams have tons of luck. I don't say that we are there or will be, but our team has looked pretty great and we have nice depth. If this flow goes on, maybe we have better PDO than you can expect. Would be nice.

There are elements that have changed and line matching/juggling seems to be one of the main things that is different. And look, whatever is happening on the ice has been fun to watch.

I would caution though that in the world of eliminating recency bias in decisions... this team had the talent to be exactly where they are.

Last year at this point in time they had a 27-12-2 record for 56 points.

This year, they are 24-14-5 for 53 points.

Big picture, I'm not sure that much has changed. The team is where they expect to be.

Now, if given reasonable health and the same talent performance levels... the team can EXCEED expectations under Keefe... ie, win the Presidents' Trophy and Cup... he should absolutely take a bow when he collects his ring. It would be a collective effort of which he would have played a part.

If you compare this season to earlier seasons I think that much hasn't changed if you look standings. If you look our play, teams confidence and players in overall. I think team is more loose, concentrated and confident than with Babcock. Our GF is way better than earlier and our GA is really good, if you think that we have changed our structure and defensive scheme middle of season. I think one reason there isn't that much "auto play mode" is that you need lost of time for practice. Off course we have best players in the world in the NHL, but it still takes time to react together properly, when game is so fast paced and ice sheet is small. I think our play at the moment is very impressive. I hope this streaks continues little further so we can have more buffer if more injuries etc. happen.

Let's see how this season ends. Thanks for discussion!

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Faith and hope are pretty much all you've got left here. The surface and underlying numbers are pretty telling, not to mention the significant tactical shifts that have been put in place on the ice. Trying to downplay this because you hate Dubas is just so cringey.

All on the Coaching? Coach makes the difference?

I saw this post the other day... really felt that the poster was in agreement with the thrust of my argument that talent, talent performing and health has more of an impact than coaching.

Let me share it with you. It was posted over our recent slump:

You're right. We need our goaltender to make a ****ing save.

Once Freddy comes out of this, assuming he's following historical pattern, the Leafs will magically be more "mature" and more "committed defensively".

Weird eh? Poster's name is identical to yours.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Not really drawing any conclusion from it other than:

1. Keefe is playing him at a very high rate.

2. Andersen is playing really well.

Since goal metrics (ie did it go in or not) have more of a correlation to outcome... I’d wager that Freddy’s performance is driving the Corsi numbers and not vice versa.

While we can’t draw a conclusion what we do know is that if Freddy continues to play at this rate he will have an increased risk for fatigue and injury.

To manage that, Keefe would have to tap on Hutchinson more.

They have to weigh the risk. Ride Freddy and hope he stays healthy or use Hutchinson and hope he can actually win a game.

Not a great spot for Keefe to be in. I’d be going with freddy as much as I could though.

A serviceable back up would address both concerns.

To update:

1. Keefe played Andersen 26 times over the Nov-Injury period vs Babcock playing him 18 times over the same period last year.

2. Andersen did get injured which wasn't really surprising.

3. Hopefully the trade will address both concerns.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
The PK has struggled lately, but here are the numbers under Keefe on the 5 on 4 PK.

CA/60: 87.41(8th)
XGA/60: 5.19(3rd)
SCA/60: 45.53(8th)
HDCA/60: 16.03(4th)

SV%: 84.80(24th)

The powerplay on the other hand stinks. Bottom 10 in pretty much every category, including 2nd last in high danger chances.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
The PK has struggled lately, but here are the numbers under Keefe on the 5 on 4 PK.

CA/60: 87.41(8th)
XGA/60: 5.19(3rd)
SCA/60: 45.53(8th)
HDCA/60: 16.03(4th)

SV%: 84.80(24th)

The powerplay on the other hand stinks. Bottom 10 in pretty much every category, including 2nd last in high danger chances.

I'd love to see PK numbers separated by zone. I feel like our numbers once we're set up are within normal ranges, we just get denied set ups way more often than we used to.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
I'd love to see PK numbers separated by zone. I feel like our numbers once we're set up are within normal ranges, we just get denied set ups way more often than we used to.
apparently the Leafs are actually the best team in the league at entering the zone on the PP, at least as of Feb 8th

Not sure how much that has changed, but it's definitely surprising

Reactions: stickty111

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad