Nomar Trade in 2004

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
because he had become a clubhouse cancer from being included in the failed A-Rod trade.

He also was milking an injury and sitting out games when many believed he could've been on the field.

The culmination of this being the juxtaposition of Nomar sitting with arms on the railing pouting while Jeter made his famous "dive into the stands" play.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
because he had become a clubhouse cancer from being included in the failed A-Rod trade.

I remember this debacle well. Obviously the teams were in discussion, but it also seemed like through the media that it was an inevitability, and you had Kevin Millar giving an interview on ESPN saying "next year it'll be Alex Rodriguez throwing the ball over from short stop for a double play". I remember being astounded because, as great as A-Rod was, nomar was still a great player and a massive fan favorite at the time....and the injury bug hadnt really hit him.

Still the talk was that A-Rod was coming to be the man in Boston. When he started getting linked to NYY after the Boston deal fell through, it was made clear early on that Jeter was not moving from SS, and that A-Rod would have to adapt. Which was how to play the situation properly. Still, Nomar should have bucked up, but going from being worshipped by Sox fans to being yesterdays news in one offseason. Granted, he was bad in the 2003 postseason.

I see now looking back that the return was supposed to be a base of Manny and Jon Lester for A-Rod, which the Red Sox must be damn glad they didnt do.

UNB Bruins Fan

Mar 11, 2008
Fredericton, NB
I see now looking back that the return was supposed to be a base of Manny and Jon Lester for A-Rod, which the Red Sox must be damn glad they didnt do.

And then, the rumour was, Boston was going to flip Nomar to Chicago for Magglio Ordonez.

IIRC another reason Boston moved him was because they (and Nomar specifically) were pretty brutal defensively the first part of 2004 and they knew they would never win without fixing it...flipping Nomar for Cabrera/Mientkiewicz really shored up that weakness.

Last edited:

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
I remember very clearly Theo Epstein calling the Red Sox defence 'a fatal flaw' and swapping Nomaaaah for Cabrera was all about improving that. The proof was in the pudding.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I remember this debacle well. Obviously the teams were in discussion, but it also seemed like through the media that it was an inevitability, and you had Kevin Millar giving an interview on ESPN saying "next year it'll be Alex Rodriguez throwing the ball over from short stop for a double play". I remember being astounded because, as great as A-Rod was, nomar was still a great player and a massive fan favorite at the time....and the injury bug hadnt really hit him.

Still the talk was that A-Rod was coming to be the man in Boston. When he started getting linked to NYY after the Boston deal fell through, it was made clear early on that Jeter was not moving from SS, and that A-Rod would have to adapt. Which was how to play the situation properly. Still, Nomar should have bucked up, but going from being worshipped by Sox fans to being yesterdays news in one offseason. Granted, he was bad in the 2003 postseason.

Sox would've ended up with A-Rod and Magglio Ordonez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad