Nolan Patrick's highest potential and name a player in comparison

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Even as a Flyer fan it is difficult to assess him, considering how poorly he is being utilized along with most of our youngsters under Hakstol.

I can't really give any good player comparable but a realistic upside would be a 1B center.

Reactions: Cult of Hynes

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
He is being misused accord8ng to flyer fans. And honestly looking at his on ice time you can see that he' not being given ny minutes or opportunities. He has a track record of being a productive player. I think 35-35 is his peak but he Should be capable of 30-30 and the flyers will have a strong offensive team in a few years once all there young talent emerges out. I like him as a player. He should be able to produce with his shot. He needs to stay healthy and actually have time to improve his skills in the off-season without any setbacks. Well see but I think he is gonna be better than primeau who was average tbh

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Sean Monahan.

His highest potential is a perennial Hart candidate who wins it. I mean, most players absolute ceilings and floors are way higher and worse than what people list. I doubt people expected guys like Scheifele to be what he currently is at 18. Then you have guys like MSL. On the opposite end you have guys like Daigle and Yakupov. To label, I'll put it like this

Absolute ceiling: competing for best player in the league consistently
Unlikely but still somewhat realistic outcome: Ryan Getzlaf
Likely good high-end out-come- Sean Monahan/Eric Staal
Likely good low-end out-come- Jordan Staal/Trevor Linden
Unlikely but possible outcome - Rob Zamauner
Absolute floor- Playing in Switzerland (not factoring in a career derailed by injuries).

Personally, I'd expect a Monahan type player and have since last year. It wouldn't shock me if he tops it.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
he's been pretty underwhelming to say the least. The Jeff Carter comparison above is a pretty good one. I'd say flyers fans would be enthralled if he becomes 3/4 the player Carter is.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Sean Monahan.

His highest potential is a perennial Hart candidate who wins it. I mean, most players absolute ceilings and floors are way higher and worse than what people list. I doubt people expected guys like Scheifele to be what he currently is at 18. Then you have guys like MSL. On the opposite end you have guys like Daigle and Yakupov. To label, I'll put it like this

Absolute floor- Playing in Switzerland (not factoring in a career derailed by injuries).

Personally, I'd expect a Monahan type player and have since last year. It wouldn't shock me if he tops it.

Good post.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This could be it. Stefan was even more talented than Nolan Patrick but his back was destroyed by the time he was 22.

Nolan seems to have similar health issues.
I think he also had something like 3 or 4 concussion in a 2 year span during his draft year and early on in Atlanta. Knowing what we now know about concussions and such, it provides a different perspective on his career. He was a guy ruined by injuries, which made him a bust, but it wasn't because of his talent. It's not like Daigle who just decided he didn't give a shit or Yakupov who is just hockey dumb combined with being terribly managed.

Patrick has one documented concussion to the best of my knowledge, in an era where treatment and precautions that are taken is quite different.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Sean Monahan.

Stiffler and Staal are somehow comparable?

Staal had 7 straight 70+ pt seasons after his second year which included an 80 and 100 pt season.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Honestly I'd say these are generous.

Maybe more like a Keith Primeau level player at best, if he can stay healthy which he hasn't proven he can do yet in his career.

In fairness to his health, his issues have been a double hernia and a concussion. The double hernia was only half treated and the concussion was from a questionable hit. I wouldn't say that Patrick is injury prone, but he's suffered from fluke injuries.

As for upside, if he hits, I think a poor man's Anze Kopitar is a good place to start. A big skilled center that can play in all situations. Right now the biggest issue he faces is that the Flyers head coach is an absolute moron who has zero clue how to utilize Patrick properly.

Reactions: DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad