Nolan Patrick, Part 2

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
People aren’t saying you don’t need to shelter Patrick’s minutes.

They are saying playing him 3 minutes combined in the 2nd and 3rd periods is never going to help his development.

I don’t see how anyone can argue the way he is being used is going to help

Its usually just the Hakpologists.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Let's see what happens when they get home.

Hakstol has to try to win games (not just to save his jobs, but it's not fair to the veteran players to give up the season).
Given the losing streak, and the fact that opposing coaches were targeting Patrick (and Konecny), limiting minutes with a lead made sense.
At home, Hakstol has more control over matchups and can protect this line.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
More nonsense.

Not properly used. Plain and simple.

Nonsense? His CF is 39.4. His CF Rel is -10.1 (by FAR the worst on the team).

Now I'm not as big into Corsi as some posters, but come on.

You're blind if you think Patrick has earned playing anything more than 4th line, sheltered minutes in the NHL and that it's only misuse that is stopping him.

We all know you love Patrick and hate the coach, but show a little objectivity.

It would be coaching malpractice, even for Hakstol, to play Patrick much, especially on the road, while holding a lead.

Last edited:

bb12

Aug 21, 2014
USA
Those saying play him on the 4th line are clearly not watching the flyers and haven't been since hak started. His "3rd" lines play the least

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Those saying play him on the 4th line are clearly not watching the flyers and haven't been since hak started. His "3rd" lines play the least

You really missed my point. When I say 4th line, I mean the line that plays the least minutes.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
I want to know more about how practice is equal to actual playing time in NHL games.
Umm, I don't think its equal, but its probably still good for development to be up with the NHL club.

Perhaps the team felt that his overall game is ready for the NHL level, and he just needs to adjust to the NHL speed. He won't get that at any other level.

People complain about usage numbers. but its clear that if they feel the guy is ready, he gets the time, see Provy.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Some people on the main boards saying they don't think Patrick would make Team Canada if the Flyers released him....lol.

FWIW, Sean Monahan was someone who lots of people compared Patrick to. Well Monahan currently has 43G/41A/84P in his last 91 games.

Needless to say we would be quite happy with that.

Reactions: CanadianSniper

Dakota402

Jul 12, 2011
Philadelphia
He looked completely invisible last night. And not in the sense that he looked slow or unconditioned either. He looks lost out there and extremely indecisive. I focused on him specifically on the power play when he was in Giroux's spot, and he looked awful. You'd think that'd be the one area he could excel but he just isn't ready yet. He's not an impactful NHL level player right now unfortunately. I read that he could be sent to the AHL (for a maximum of 2 weeks due to the whl-nhl restrictions), and i think that it could be very beneficial for him. He needs to get some confidence in his game.

Reactions: Lurch

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Some people on the main boards saying they don't think Patrick would make Team Canada if the Flyers released him....lol.

FWIW, Sean Monahan was someone who lots of people compared Patrick to. Well Monahan currently has 43G/41A/84P in his last 91 games.

Needless to say we would be quite happy with that.

They are brain dead mongrels

Reactions: Magua and Stizzle

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
He looked completely invisible last night. And not in the sense that he looked slow or unconditioned either. He looks lost out there and extremely indecisive. I focused on him specifically on the power play when he was in Giroux's spot, and he looked awful. You'd think that'd be the one area he could excel but he just isn't ready yet. He's not an impactful NHL level player right now unfortunately. I read that he could be sent to the AHL (for a maximum of 2 weeks due to the whl-nhl restrictions), and i think that it could be very beneficial for him. He needs to get some confidence in his game.

So it was his fault no one on pp2 could get him the puck? He was sliding up and down his side looking to get open and when he had the puck in nonshooting areas he made the passes he needed to make.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
I was hoping for a stellar rookie season but with his injuries he had to deal with last year and this past off-season I don't think we will see the high end talent until he gets his legs and conditioning back. He just isn't very explosive right now. That's what hernias will do to you. He still has to recover l. Ghost and G had the same problems last year. Onl difference is they know the NHL grind. Patrick does not.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Uhhh... do the people saying "Patrick is being used how he should, if he wants more time he has to do better" really not realize how dumb that statement is? :laugh:

You want him to perform better before he can be moved out of a situation where it's impossible to perform well?

You don't see a problem there?

"Hey, so you want to take over this head chef position in my restaurant? OK, well you have to prove you can do it before I let you in the kitchen. Now go ahead and make me a five star meal, using only this empty lighter and that dead cockroach over there. By the way, you have 5 seconds to do it."

He's not setting the world on fire right now, but if you think anyone would be able to look good in the position he's currently in, you're just delusional or trolling.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
..................._____
..................|...........|
-------Patrick
Weal---Filppula
-------------------Sanheim
------Provorov

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ

When a new, entry level employee with no experience at a company looks lost at work, who is to blame?

Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Bull. Raffl stood out on the 4th line, he was the engine for that line, and when he moved up, he looked even better.
Patrick and Konecny, if they were playing up to their raw talent, should stand out, and they'd carry Weise the way Couts and Schenn carried Weise last year.

If you have to baby a prospect as much as y'all suggest, he ain't a top 6 player or much of a prospect.

FlyersMania2

#FireHakstol
Jul 4, 2007
NJ
Bull. Raffl stood out on the 4th line, he was the engine for that line, and when he moved up, he looked even better.
Patrick and Konecny, if they were playing up to their raw talent, should stand out, and they'd carry Weise the way Couts and Schenn carried Weise last year.

If you have to baby a prospect as much as y'all suggest, he ain't a top 6 player or much of a prospect.

Under which coach did Raffl's raw talent show through even on the 4th line?

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I think they can do a mirror with all the right handers.

-----------Goalie------------
-----------Patrick-----------
Weal----Konecny---Sanheim
------------Provy-------------

Sanheim can pass to Konecny for the shot a la Schenn. Weal can get the shot right on for Patrick on the rebound or have a quick hard pass to Konecny so he can deflect it towards the net.

Reactions: BillDineen

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Under which coach did Raffl's raw talent show through even on the 4th line?

Raffl worked his way into a job on the top line, due to injury he finished last year as a marginal player, this year he started on the 4th line and was our best player not on the 1st line. 10-12 minutes a game is more than enough time to make plays, and if you're a good player you'll make your linemates look better.

Patrick, if he was 100%, plays a style that's conducive to almost any line mate (similar to Couts).
Konecny is harder, you have to find the right chemistry for him.

flymuth

Mar 26, 2009
Harrisburg
I think we should all remember that Patrick has only played 25 games in the NHL and this is the first time in a long time that he is even close to healthy. I hate Hakstol just as much as anyone for only playing Patrick, Konecny and Sanheim minimally in the 3rd period (how do you learn from mistakes if you are benched for making them in the first place). Patrick will be better when he fills out a little more and can win the puck battles along the boards he used to win in Junior.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad