Nolan Patrick, Part 2

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
I think the Flyers are doing well with Patrick right now in this case. I know the practice after the hit was not a good idea, but it seems they are really taking their time and it's a good thing.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
He has looked perfectly fine to me too, head. It didn't feel like I was watching a player who was out of his depth or anything. I just want him to get healthy and get this year under his belt. Nothing is ****ed, dude, nothing is ****ed (fingers crossed).
Captain you are out of your element!

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
After the complete botched handling of Lindros, I'd rather see this organization take a very cautious approach with the handling of a concussion. Given how little is still known about concussions, it is always better to error on the side of caution.

While I 100% agree on the part after the Bolding, I believe in all fairness it must be pointed out that the Organization and Mankind -- Peoplekind?? -- knew much, much less about Concussions and their after effects, even as recent as the Nineties... both the NHL Organizations and the Athletes looked at them as 'having their bell rung'... and we can expand that to all Sports and all levels of all Sports... Often Players returned to the very same Game and played through symptoms for many subsequent Games... Some Players were less susceptible to PCS and some were very much susceptible -- Lindros and arguably Roenick -- and some played through many only to have it catch up to them big time -- Primeau -- while some had a major one that they attempted to play through but couldn't -- Pronger -- I any case, Lindros was then and this is now... the Flyers IMO must be judged... if they must be judged... based on the time and circumstances of what was unknown. They may not have handled things the best possible way... but I wouldn't say they botched things, given what I said above.

JMO

Reactions: JXC

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Head smashed into boards, not able to do high energy skating or practises , concussion isn't a giant leap here.

What else could it be, knee, ankle , ??
His head didn't smash into the boards, it kind of whiplashed, but it wasn't directly his head that was hit.

The point is, it's possible that it isn't a concussion. Could have been neck, shoulder, or something else. We've seen people get hit in a way that you assume would concuss them (shoutout to Brayden Schenn) and be perfectly fine. We've also seen players get hit in a seemingly harmless way and get a concussion (when Simmonds delicately touched McDonagh).

We don't know for a fact what happened so no point in assuming and then getting worked up at the teams handing of an injury that we don't even know the nature of.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Concussion doesn't have to be a smash to the head, whiplash can have the same effect, bouncing the brain around in the skull.

Reactions: Sawdalite

Amorgus

Sep 22, 2017
Rochester NY
They're a bunch of ****ing amateurs!!
I must have post-concussion syndrome from the Hulk coaster to mess up a Lebowski quote with a Slap Shot quote. I nearly replied "They brought their f***ing TOYS with them!"

In related news I got a replacement for my worn and stained Dude shirt.
shopping.jpg

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Concussion doesn't have to be a smash to the head, whiplash can have the same effect, bouncing the brain around in the skull.
I'm aware.

Did I say it wasn't a concussion?

Or did I say that it isn't 100% a sure thing that it's a concussion?

All I'm pointing out is we don't know for sure.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Not having a setback can merely mean that the situation as diagnosed and projected is still holding steady... it can unfortunately mean that it was bad to begin with, and has progressed as expected without getting any worse.

... or it can mean that it wasn't very bad and we are just playing it extremely safe rather than take any chances.

Personally, I'm thinking it is the latter... or at least praying it is.

On the upside... if we can trust them, it has not gotten worse... and he is using his Press Box time wisely and learning as much as possible.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
On the upside... if we can trust them, it has not gotten worse... and he is using his Press Box time wisely and learning as much as possible.

NOTHING is more valuable than sitting up in the rafters and watching and learning. The only way it could be better is if Coach Donkeynuts had sent him there on purpose, rather than through injury, so he could really understand that he was meant to learn. It's a long process, like watching your corn stalks bloom with ears as the season progresses.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
NOTHING is more valuable than sitting up in the rafters and watching and learning. The only way it could be better is if Coach Donkeynuts had sent him there on purpose, rather than through injury, so he could really understand that he was meant to learn. It's a long process, like watching your corn stalks bloom with ears as the season progresses.

I'm not expecting Patrick to get many healthy scratches... and hope he doesn't get many more through injury... but while he is scratched, I hope he gets some views he won't get on the Ice.

I'm not sure if your post is sarcastic... or only partially so... Shirley, you're not suggesting Hak should scratch Nolan while healthy so he may learn... or are you?

Edit: Maybe you are saying that you wish he were not injured presently and merely benched???

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I'm not expecting Patrick to get many healthy scratches... and hope he doesn't get many more through injury... but while he is scratched, I hope he gets some views he won't get on the Ice.

I'm not sure if your post is sarcastic... or only partially so... Shirley, you're not suggesting Hak should scratch Nolan while healthy so he may learn... or are you?

It was approximately 345% sarcastic, Saw ;)

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Given his initial NHL struggles, I don't think it's the worst thing for Patrick to sit back, watch a few games, and get a perspective on what he was thrown into, juniors to NHL is a big jump at 19. It'll be interesting to see how he looks when he gets back on the ice, whether he's tentative due to the injury or more confident with a couple weeks to assimilate his initial experience.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->