Injury Report: Nolan Patrick Diagnosed With Migraine Disorder (Sep. 26); limited practice, quotes (Feb 17-20)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
You don’t understand how a hit to the head could affect a person with migraines? :huh:

Why are his own teammates hitting him in the head?

Before you start going down the "accidental" route, if he's fit enough to do non-contact without sickness, dizziness and migraines, then I can't see why he wouldn't be ok for contact.

But hey, I'm not a doctor, and neither are you.

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

That line doesn’t work when you just said: “Im not sure how contact could affect migraine. Maybe it really is concussion related.”

REAL doctors at the forefront of concussion research determined it was not concussion related. Who’s playing doctor? o_O

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
That line doesn’t work when you just said: “Im not sure how contact could affect migraine. Maybe it really is concussion related.”

Doctors at the forefront of concussion studies determined it was not concussion related. Who’s playing doctor? o_O

I would have thought the "maybe" would have shown that it was pure speculation on my part, whereas I had a ridiculous comment in return from someone that knows nothing more.

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Why are his own teammates hitting him in the head?

Before you start going down the "accidental" route, if he's fit enough to do non-contact without sickness, dizziness and migraines, then I can't see why he wouldn't be ok for contact.

Uhhh...what?!? Pun intended here, but give your head a shake.

Physical activity and exertion can play a HUGE role in activating migraine triggers. You dont need to be a doctor to know that. And it's not as though migraines are broken bones where it's either broke or not. There are varying degrees of migraines, and even if Patrick ONLY has a mild one, there is an Atlantic ocean sized chasm of difference between contact and non contact.

I don't want to be touched at all when I have a migraine, but sometimes they are at a level where i can work from home and get through the day. But that involves opening a laptop, and minimal interaction, where I can control 95% of stimuli. If my job entailed potentially getting another body thrown at mine at high speeds and huge forces of impact, you can bet your ass I'm not going to work.

Reactions: JXC and Beretta 390

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016

Physical activity and exertion can play a HUGE role in activating migraine triggers.

You mean like skating flat out, shooting and passing, it's almost like that's what non contact drills are...….

I'm not saying that physical activity can't affect Migraines. I'm saying I don't see the difference between doing a normal workout with and without contact.

I'm not even stating it as a fact, it was more speculation. But yeah, read half the statement and run with it....

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
You mean like skating flat out, shooting and passing, it's almost like that's what non contact drills are...….

I'm not saying that physical activity can't affect Migraines. I'm saying I don't see the difference between doing a normal workout with and without contact.

I'm not even stating it as a fact, it was more speculation. But yeah, read half the statement and run with it....

Physical activity and exertion can play a HUGE role in activating migraine triggers. You dont need to be a doctor to know that. And it's not as though migraines are broken bones where it's either broke or not. There are varying degrees of migraines, and even if Patrick ONLY has a mild one, there is an Atlantic ocean sized chasm of difference between contact and non contact.

I don't want to be touched at all when I have a migraine, but sometimes they are at a level where i can work from home and get through the day. But that involves opening a laptop, and minimal interaction, where I can control 95% of stimuli. If my job entailed potentially getting another body thrown at mine at high speeds and huge forces of impact, you can bet your ass I'm not going to work.

You mean kinda like you just did?

This conversation isnt even worth continuing if you cant comprehend the difference between the impact a human being throwing their body at you can have on your pain levels.

I'll try to put it in perspective for you. Picture the worst headache you've ever had. Then take that headache, and imagine someone constantly hacking at you with a stick and throwing their 200 pounds of body into you at 15-20 MPH.

Now multiply that pain by a multiple of about 20.

Then theres the actual physiology of it, where having someone hit you expedites your blood flow, which isnt a good thing for when you brain blood vessels constrict. Increased blood flow + restricted blood vessels = bad, bad things.

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Are you able to make a point without being patronising?

You are right about one thing though, it's pointless continuing with this conversation.

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Baseless speculation counter to actual medical opinion, followed by dismissing someone’s point because they are ironically not a doctor while ignoring the doctors, then someone with actual migraine issues chiming in with mostly common sense stuff only to be ignored and called patronizing.

Dang it, a person should be able to post false medical knowledge in peace! The Medical Hive is the worst.

kudymen

Hakstok was a fascist clique hiver lickballs.gif
Jun 18, 2011
Atlanta (Decatur)
Baseless speculation counter to actual medical opinion, followed by dismissing someone’s point because they are ironically not a doctor while ignoring the doctors, then someone with actual migraine issues chiming in with mostly common sense stuff only to be called patronizing.

Dang it, a person should be able to post false medical knowledge in peace!

Have you seen Patrick's medical records?

Starat327

Top .01% OnlyHands
Sponsor
May 8, 2011
Philadelphia, Pa
Baseless speculation counter to actual medical opinion, followed by dismissing someone’s point because they are ironically not a doctor while ignoring the doctors, then someone with actual migraine issues chiming in with mostly common sense stuff only to be ignored and called patronizing.

Dang it, a person should be able to post false medical knowledge in peace! The Medical Hive is the worst.

Dude, it's like, whatever. Hes just got a little headache. He should be able to power through it if he were a real man.

Reactions: Striiker

Magua

Doer of Hoffific Things
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Have you seen Patrick's medical records?

EQDwoJwFl4uS-TeqMKlXpANONnIpA6FlVMA8d7X3cIs.gif

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I am watching the Stewart bloopers from there almost every other week when I need to cheer up

I love the McKellen bit because even though some of my favorite actors are method actors, classically trained guys mocking their ways still pleases me every time.

That bit is like when Dustin Hoffman told Laurence Olivier about the hellish things he was going through to get his performance right, and Olivier said something like "Have you tried acting instead?"

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2018
Actual medical professional here: it is a fact that both physical exertion and impacts to the head (including the shock traveling through the head when being, say, hit in a hockey drill) are common migraine triggers, among other non-exertion events.

Often, triggers can be cumulative.

Often, people offer misguided opinions.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
I am not a professional physician but my daughter sees a neurologist at CHOP for migraines. The neurologist encouraged her to do regular exercise and activities. I am not sure it is a trigger. Even the treatment for concussions has changed recently. They used to have guys sit for a while but now they have them doing cardio right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->