Nolan Arenado wants out of Colorado

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
The Rockies have been mediocre for pretty much their entire existence and he signed there long-term, not sure what he was expecting. Also he has an out in 2 years that he'll take. I hate this trend of well paid players who sign with bad teams crying that their team's bad (I guess it's more applicable to NBA players but my sympathy is limited here)

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
The Rockies have been mediocre for pretty much their entire existence and he signed there long-term, not sure what he was expecting. Also he has an out in 2 years that he'll take. I hate this trend of well paid players who sign with bad teams crying that their team's bad (I guess it's more applicable to NBA players but my sympathy is limited here)
He signed his extension after they made the playoffs and a 91 win season. The season before they made the playoffs and lost in the wild card game. They just need to figure out how to develop or acquire pitching.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
He wants out because the GM promised that he would build a team around him, but after 1 bad year, they made 0 moves to help the team. The GM has always been an arrogant prick to the media in public, and with his ego, I have 0 doubt that he was an arrogant prick to the best player on the team in private.

They dished our some pretty bad contracts. Davis, McGee, Shaw and Desmond will make 50 mill between them this season.
Worst GM in the f***ing league, and it's not close.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Yankees, Astros, and Rangers in the AL.
Braves, Dodgers, Cardinals, Nats, and Cubs in the NL.

Yankees and Astros in the AL don’t make sense on my opinion. Rangers I guess could make sense but not sure why they make a huge move like this when they are kind of rebuilding right now.

I could see any of those teams NL going after him except for the Cubs. That one seems odd to me and the Dodgers don’t really have a need but you never know with them.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Yankees and Astros in the AL don’t make sense on my opinion. Rangers I guess could make sense but not sure why they make a huge move like this when they are kind of rebuilding right now.

I could see any of those teams NL going after him except for the Cubs. That one seems odd to me and the Dodgers don’t really have a need but you never know with them.
New ballpark?

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
New ballpark?

Yeah, maybe. Just seems like a weird fit. They aren’t really competitive yet so not like they are an Arenado away from making noise and Houston and Oakland are obviously still strong and Angels have improved quite a bit so it’s not like the West is really ‘up for grabs’ or anything.

Anyway I see him staying in NL.

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
Not to give away the entire article, but at least for the Astros he had them moving Correa out, shifting Bergman to short, and having Arenado play third.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA

The way I heard it from an inside source is Nolan Arenado wants to play for a winning team and ownership promised him they will do whatever it takes. He signed this huge deal making him the highest paid player which gives him security and contains a no trade clause. Apparently he's unhappy that ownership hasn't exactly lived up to their promise.
From what I'm hearing, no way is he getting traded and he's kinda settled down from his initial demands. Other sources such as the Bowden article say otherwise.
I hope I'm correct for Colorado fans sake.

Last edited:

darko

Feb 16, 2009
The way I heard it from an inside source is Nolan Arenado wants to play for a winning team and ownership promised him they will do whatever it takes. He signed this huge deal making him the highest paid player which gives him security and contains a no trade clause. Apparently he's unhappy that ownership hasn't exactly lived up to their promise.
From what I'm hearing, no way is he getting traded and he's kinda settled down from his initial demands. Other sources such as the Bowden article say otherwise.
I hope I'm correct for Colorado fans sake.

He does have an opt out in 3 years time.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
He does have an opt out in 3 years time.

Yes he does and I suspect if the team doesn't turn around by then he will be dealt.
Arenado hasn't done Colorado any favors value wise if they expect a fair trade in return.

David Dennison

I'm a tariff, man.
Jul 5, 2007
Grenyarnia
Why did they give him a opt out?
Yeah I usually see it as a lose-lose for teams. If they player does well, he opts out and you got to pay him more and longer into his less productive years. If the player doesn't do well, then they are stuck with an overpriced contract.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
I wonder if the Mookie deal opens the door here. Getting close...pitchers and catchers report real soon.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I wonder if the Mookie deal opens the door here. Getting close...pitchers and catchers report real soon.

Arenado is a fantastic player and any team would love to have him but who are the contenders, or a team that is one big piece away from getting to that level who fit the following criteria...

a) Need a 3B or can shuffle their infield to accommodate a Jeter/A-Rod type situation
b) Can/Want to take on $35ish mil salary for the next 2-7 years
c) Have the assets needed to get Arenado and are willing to give them up
d) Arenado will waive his no trade clause for

It takes two to tango (or 3 in this instance) and I just don't know if there's legitimately another team out there that checks enough of these boxes.

If Washington had that money to spend they would have re-signed Rendon. Braves let Donaldson walk for less money and less term. Houston doesn't really have a need but I suppose they could re-shuffle things, I really don't see it. Angels signed Rendon. Mets don't want to spend money. Twins signed JD. Yankees infield is stacked. LAD have no need and just traded for Betts and will look to commit big money to him. Boston just traded Betts for money issues and have no need. Jays have Vladdy Jr. and aren't close to contending.

Sooooo.... St. Louis I guess? I don't see a fit anywhere else in the NL. I know Texas was mentioned as well but I don't really see it as a good landing spot. Just not competitive enough to make a move like this. Maybe White Sox as a dark horse? I can't see them spending the money though and they might still be a couple years away from really making noise.

It's the opt out that makes it tricky. You're only guaranteed 2 years so you need to be in win now mode otherwise why give up the assets for a guy who can walk in 2 years if he tears it up. If Arenado goes somewhere and for some reason stinks it up or doesn't gel with the new team, you're stuck with a monster contract until 2026.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
I would think any trade would be made on the condition that Arenado does not utilize his opt-out; certainly, if not, that GM is incompetent; almost as incompetent as the GM that put the opt-out in the contract of his own volition. Also, Arenado's splits are pretty favorable, 2020 is only his age 29 season, and he has shown himself to be dedicated to the game/a hard worker. Pretty sure you will get great to good value for the next 4-5 years of the contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad