Nolan and the "New" NHL

Ghost of Dale Hunter

Feb 27, 2003
Buffalo
Visit site
I find it interesting that Nolan is the choice from the perspective that the Sabres current "rough and tumble" style seems to be the bane of the NHL's existence. My recollection of those teams was high compete, low-talent, hitters and brawlers (with a world class goalie) that played on the edge. Seems exactly what the NHL hates these days. I will be interested to see what transpires.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
I agree that it is starting to go that way.

But once the 1st round of the playoffs start I kinda think that the game is more "rough and tumble" (or brutal) than it ever has.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
High effort is really his modus operandi. The 90's team he had that was full of hitters and brawlers was just what he was given to work with, not necessarily what his style was. His coaching worked really well because that team was brutal to play against due to the high effort and workmanship they put in combined with having a team half full of grinders. That doesn't necessarily mean he's going to come in here and convince everyone to be Vaclav Varada clones.

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
I find it interesting that Nolan is the choice from the perspective that the Sabres current "rough and tumble" style seems to be the bane of the NHL's existence. My recollection of those teams was high compete, low-talent, hitters and brawlers (with a world class goalie) that played on the edge. Seems exactly what the NHL hates these days. I will be interested to see what transpires.

(Except for the Bruins)

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Actually, the only difference I see from the GOOD and contending teams, and the old days of Nolan Hockey, is that the teams have More talented players that play the same style of play.

If we can get bigger and play his style of hockey, I think we will be in a better position. Guys like Risto, Zadorov, McCormick, Girgs, Flynn, Foligno, Ott, I think will all flourish under him.

I have a strange feeling that Stafford's game will change. Maybe some of these guys that felt too comfortable here, they may now need to prove their worth.

All I can say is, it will be an interesting season. Hopefully people won't think things will change over night and can be irritating at times.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Also...he knows he probably wont be around next season so this season he will be more carefree style.

the other problem is who would take a gig like Buffalo? You are hired strictly as an interim coach and the new GM will then decide on a permananet coach in the off season.

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA
One thing worth noting is that Nolan was only 37 years old when he was hired to coach the Sabres last time. That's really young for a coach, and he experienced a lot of changes in his career since then. I'm guessing he has a more nuanced and older/wiser outlook now. But we will see. I liked his comments to reporters in the locker room this morning. He sounded a bit savvier than he used to, while still being fairly blunt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->