NOJHL 2014-2015 thread

arcjoif6

Aug 29, 2014
injuries

they have 6 at the moment, scores do not reflect to team, they have picked up several players in the last week that would be playing junior a, in the cchl. but unfortunately they have not been able to have a team practice with everyone there. they have been without some of them since the first game of the season including Austin Lamont broken jaw.

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
they have 6 at the moment, scores do not reflect to team, they have picked up several players in the last week that would be playing junior a, in the cchl. but unfortunately they have not been able to have a team practice with everyone there. they have been without some of them since the first game of the season including Austin Lamont broken jaw.

Which 6 do you think could play in the CCHL ? Seriously I just looked at your roster. I recognize some kids from Ottawa who played house league here....are they paying to play up there, if not I don't see how that even happens that they make the jump to "Junior A"...

arcjoif6

Aug 29, 2014
brain wash

first not my roster,
second, Austin Lamont could play top 2 d on any cchl team.
Alex hulford could easily play on any junior A team in the cchl
Nathan hans he put on 25 pounds this year easily play 3 line any cchl team.
Kyle Huhn amrican player will be playing NCAA next year.
Zach mills, easily outplayed Keeley at Canadians camp
and I could go on. do not confuse politics and money with talent.
I think you need to watch more league games from other leagues.
before you assess talent. there is sometimes better players playing in junior b than there are in the cchl,
thanks

ottawafan66

May 14, 2010
first not my roster,
before you assess talent. there is sometimes better players playing in junior b than there are in the cchl,
thanks

You really need to do your homework. Austin Lamont couldn't crack CP's top 7, never mind top 2. Alex Hulford couldn't make a CCHL team roster....ever (very good Junior B player though). Nathan Hans couldn't come close to making CP. And you surely must be kidding when you try to even compare Mills to Kealey. Obviously you've never been to any CP tryouts.

My apologies to the players mentioned if it sounds like I'm dumping on them. But the exaggeration here just blows me away and I felt it needed addressing.

xcross

Dec 3, 2013
first not my roster,
thanks

WOW ! You have been misinformed by someone. I am familiar with 3 of the 5 players you mentioned. 2 MIGHT make Kanata in the CCHL, the goalie was offered to every EOJHL team and was passed on by all.
They are all good players but please don't confuse that with being the sama caliber as the CCHL regulars.

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
first not my roster,
thanks

Yes, I don't normally follow the NOJHL. I also won't mention players by name who played house league but do your own Google searcj with the players names and "West Carleton" or "MTK".

There is not one player in all of those mentioned above who could play in the CCHL and only 2 of those mentioned above could play EOJHL.

I hope they all do well and I hope they enjoy the experience of living in the North as that is a great lifestyle.

Rangersfan21

Sep 17, 2011
first not my roster,
thanks

This is so far off base...I cannot remember the last player to come from the NOJHL and be an impact player in the CCHL? Maybe I am wrong....

6yekcoh

Apr 13, 2012
This is so far off base...I cannot remember the last player to come from the NOJHL and be an impact player in the CCHL? Maybe I am wrong....[/
If one looks at the results from the cental canada cup. The last tournament -the nojhl had a 0-5 record ,6 goals for and 25 against. The ojhl and the lhjaaaq had two teams . The other year 2011 ,they sent one team finished with a 1-2 record 3 goals for, 8 against.

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
This is so far off base...I cannot remember the last player to come from the NOJHL and be an impact player in the CCHL? Maybe I am wrong....[/
If one looks at the results from the cental canada cup. The last tournament -the nojhl had a 0-5 record ,6 goals for and 25 against. The ojhl and the lhjaaaq had two teams . The other year 2011 ,they sent one team finished with a 1-2 record 3 goals for, 8 against.

I don't want to bash the league. They provide players from the North with a great option to play hockey closer to home, as it should be.

What got the response from me was the statement that "several" of the players picked up by the Blind River team could play in the CCHL. That was ludicrous and showed clearly that the person saying it had no clue what they were talking about or they were being deliberately misleading.

Based on some other factors I would say it is the latter and that getting kids to move up North and play is profitable for some of the folks involved in setting that up.

arcjoif6

Aug 29, 2014
everyone has a right to their opinion

just to answer valeydude , there is no profit here, you can ask the people involved.
second I will not mention which players but some of them had the choice to play in the cchl and did not take that avenue.
now for my opinion which everyone is allowed to have, the next time you look at the stats look how many players had a letter of intent from NCAA before or after they arrived with their cchl team, after that go check which of those numbers end up playing in the NCAA. after their junior a career is done. as for house league players. you would be surprised of how some develop differently.
does the league have shortcomings obviously, but to state that cchl has none, I personally do not agree with you.
thanks
from person who has no financial stake in it.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
The leagues the NOJHL must be concerned with is their Dudley Hewitt opponents, OJHL and SIJHL. Since the 3 leagues started playing for the right to go to the RBCCup the winners have been,

OJHL....9
SIJHL...2
NOJHL..1

The NOJHL should concern themselves with moving up this list before worrying about the CCHL.

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
just to answer valeydude , there is no profit here, you can ask the people involved.
second I will not mention which players but some of them had the choice to play in the cchl and did not take that avenue.
now for my opinion which everyone is allowed to have, the next time you look at the stats look how many players had a letter of intent from NCAA before or after they arrived with their cchl team, after that go check which of those numbers end up playing in the NCAA. after their junior a career is done. as for house league players. you would be surprised of how some develop differently.
does the league have shortcomings obviously, but to state that cchl has none, I personally do not agree with you.
thanks

So what is the stake for someone from the OttawaSharpShooters to be actively recruiting http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=1728455&highlight= players into a league/team 650 KM away ?

Rangersfan21

Sep 17, 2011
thanks

If a player chooses the NOJHL over the CCHL it is probably safe to assume they have no interest in playing NCAA, or they were offered a 4th line position and would rather play for fun on the first line of a northern team.

arcjoif6

Aug 29, 2014
think before you talk

hi just want to take the time to clear things up because some people I thing have different motives in life.
the reason I am helping blind river recruit is because I know coach Gagnon I believe in what he is trying to do. alot of the teams are working hard to change the image it has. I do not take money for what I do because I believe money mixed with hockey can lead to corruption and politics. I am not in any way putting down the cchl or any other junior league for that matter. I have players I train that play in the cchl, bchl, NCAA and Q, AND O. I JUST PERSONALLY FEEL players need to find the right situation for them. I do not see if your a 96 playing 5 minutes a game will help you more that playing 20 minutes in whatever league it is. a lot of players are being sent to highest bidder instead of the best situation for them. the NCAA for example are taking players at a later age. so time is on your side if you are willing to put in the work.
as for blind river I will bet supper with anyone that once there injuries return especially on defence they have played most games with 3 def. because of 4 injuries on defy.they will win quite a few games eventually.new players are arriving as we speak.
thanks

valleydude

Mar 16, 2011
hi just want to take the time to clear things up because some people I thing have different motives in life.
the reason I am helping blind river recruit is because I know coach Gagnon I believe in what he is trying to do. alot of the teams are working hard to change the image it has. I do not take money for what I do because I believe money mixed with hockey can lead to corruption and politics. I am not in any way putting down the cchl or any other junior league for that matter. I have players I train that play in the cchl, bchl, NCAA and Q, AND O. I JUST PERSONALLY FEEL players need to find the right situation for them. I do not see if your a 96 playing 5 minutes a game will help you more that playing 20 minutes in whatever league it is. a lot of players are being sent to highest bidder instead of the best situation for them. the NCAA for example are taking players at a later age. so time is on your side if you are willing to put in the work.
as for blind river I will bet supper with anyone that once there injuries return especially on defence they have played most games with 3 def. because of 4 injuries on defy.they will win quite a few games eventually.new players are arriving as we speak.
thanks

Those are all admirable goals and good points. If you stick to that then good luck. I will continue to disagree on your position that these kids are all good enough right now for the CCHL but that is just an opinion based on what I have seen of them.

wolfdoc

Jan 14, 2013
Nojhl

Every league has a purpose to provide an opportunity for local players to continue playing at a higher level. So a northern player wishing to continue to play whether he feels that he is still chasing the dream or just for the comradary and joy of the game is a personal decision. Kudos to the owners who support that option. But to think that a decent player needs to travel 650 km to find a team to play for, in Canada, suggests that he is just not good enough. There are enough options locally. And to suggest that a player playing fourth line will get more icetime in the NOJHL where teams carry 8 20 year old players is also false. Get real!

As for college commitments the league lists players in CIS and division 3 schools all of whom offer no athletic scholarships. Sure a good student can get can academic scholarship and try out for the hockey team but what does that have to say for the league? True that There are a few scholarships granted as evidenced but players for a couple of stronger teams like the Soo but weed through the list of commitments and you will find very few graduating to schools because of hockey ability.

The players in the NOJHL from Ottawa are there because they could not find a CCHL team to play on in Ottawa. They have a desire to play higher and hope that playing in a weaker junior A league will get them there. Make no mistake apart from one or 2 teams the NOJHL is much weaker than the CCHL. With the renegade leagues starting up probably getting even weaker. I can assure you that if a team was interested in them they would not be moving to the north! Why would anyone want to travel like the NOJHL teams do to play hockey on a snowy wintry night? Hopefully some players will improve with the practice time and the commitment of owners and management so that a late bloomer can develop. Best of luck to all and be safe on the slippery roads.

Duke Guy

Sep 10, 2013
arcjo1f6: Blind River is still facing an uphill battle but can you see any light at the end of the tunnel?

arcjoif6

Aug 29, 2014
reasons

Hi Duke the reason I believe there is light at the end of the tunnel.
reason 1 we have yet to play with a full roster because of injuries and suspensions. we have never played with more than 14 players
the players we are adding are good pieces. ex. we traded for Daniel potter in nets. and he broke his hand in his second game. we have had some bad luck.
it is hard building something new. roster has been overhauled to over %90 of new players. and the culture is changing. the town is a real hockey town, good people. right now because of injuries some players are playing roles they should not be playing. and way to many minutes. but within the next couple of weeks pieces will be added and players will return from injury and suspensions..
thanks for time duke

Stittsvillain

Nov 3, 2012

With two shootout losses against ojhl teams so far at this weekends challenge cup, team nojhl seems pretty competitive this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad