Noise Canceling Headphone Recommendations

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Makes sense. So do you still think I should go with the Audio Texhnica's if I'm going for sound quality then? I have no problem whatsoever with wires.

Also, thanks again for the responses everyone. This'll be my first material purchase for myself in a while so I appreciate the input

I only use wired headphones personally, so I have no experience with the particular pair of Audio Technicas you were considering at Best Buy. The ATH-M50 line of Audio Technicas is very well liked, and is considered one of the best closed-cup, over-ear headphones in that price range.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Hate to bump this, but I saw people talking about Audio Technica's, and I saw these on Best Buy's website and thought I'd ask about them:

Audio-Technica - ATH SR6BT

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/audio-technica-ath-sr6bt-wireless-on-ear-headphones-black/5855301.p?skuId=5855301

I have a 10% off coupon that I could use towards these as well, so I was thinking of exchanging the JBL Everest 710's I got for these. Anyone know if they're any good?

[EDIT]

After going back and reading the thread again, I see that these are the same ones that Tame was asking about initially...

Last edited:

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Holy crap...

I decided to take the plunge and exchange my JBL Everest 710's for the Audio-Technica ATH SR6BT's, and needless to say I am not impressed. When on wireless, the audio is noticeably lower in volume, even with the volume turned all the way up on my device (and I did not find any volume buttons on the headphones themselves), but when I plug in the cables to make it a wired headset, the volume does get better...but on the JBL 710's, the volume was great without me even touching the cable (never once plugged it in to see how they sounded).

And even though I enjoyed the JBL 710's on a whole, I had used them for an extended period for the first time this past weekend, and within 20 minutes I had noticed that I had some dull pain in my ears (ear fatigue) and that the bass was kind of prominent (I don't listen to hip hop where that is, according to my friends who do listen to hip hop, something that can be important).

I'm kind of wishing I didn't exchange the JBL's though after having tried out the AT's. Looks like I'm back to the drawing board :(

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
As I mentioned earlier, buying a wireless headphone means they have to shove an amplifier, DAC, battery, and Bluetooth receiver in there. It seems like the amp in those isn't particularly powerful if you're complaining about volume limitations in wireless mode.

Buy wired. Wireless sucks.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
As I mentioned earlier, buying a wireless headphone means they have to shove an amplifier, DAC, battery, and Bluetooth receiver in there. It seems like the amp in those isn't particularly powerful if you're complaining about volume limitations in wireless mode.

Buy wired. Wireless sucks.

It's also because I didn't have enough patience to look over the product :laugh:

The headphones *do* have a volume adjuster on them. I guess I just wasn't expecting such a low volume right out of the box, so that's entirely on me. I've raised it a bit and will give a listen to them in a little bit when I won't be prone to having interruptions while at work. I'm still not sure how I will like them...was already thinking of exchanging them for the JBL Everest Elite 750 NC's (on sale for $249.99 at Best Buy, and I have at 10% off coupon to drop them to $224.99).

I just don't want the bass to be overpowering since I don't listen to hip hop. I listen to rock/classic rock. The current acts I listen to are typically bands like Arcade Fire, Broken Bells, The Killers, and stuff like (so...Broken Bells probably the "closest" to hip hop given Brian Burton's involvement, but it's still firmly in the Rock genre). Upon an initial *very quick* listen after raising the volume on the headset, I'm more pleased than I was earlier...but I want to give it a listen when I'm not at work and can actually listen to the music and not be interrupted.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
You can always adjust the EQ in your music player to get the right levels of bass/mids/treble.

Good point there Hive...I'd never considered going into my iPhone (which is where I listen to most of my music from) and changing the EQ settings, but I will do that.

Good looking out.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Listening to my new ATH-m50's...

cb72d76af65457d572ea8dec9d944910.gif

Thanks for the input everyone!

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
So i've been listening to these headphones for about a week and am definitely liking them. A few questions/possible complaints...

1) To really appreciate the sound quality while plugged into my phone, i've got to crank the volume up to at least 85-90% on the phone's volume scale

2) Directly related to this, when the volume is that loud, everyone around me can hear my music. Clearly. Is that just a normal part of over-the-ear headphones and something I shouldn't worry about? I don't want to be THAT guy where everyone has to hear what i'm listening to, especially if i'm wearing them while doing lab work or in the library at school.

3) My ears hurt a little after using them. It's almost like that feeling of being on an airplane and the pressure differential "pops" your ears. Is that normal as well?

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
So i've been listening to these headphones for about a week and am definitely liking them. A few questions/possible complaints...

1) To really appreciate the sound quality while plugged into my phone, i've got to crank the volume up to at least 85-90% on the phone's volume scale

2) Directly related to this, when the volume is that loud, everyone around me can hear my music. Clearly. Is that just a normal part of over-the-ear headphones and something I shouldn't worry about? I don't want to be THAT guy where everyone has to hear what i'm listening to, especially if i'm wearing them while doing lab work or in the library at school.

3) My ears hurt a little after using them. It's almost like that feeling of being on an airplane and the pressure differential "pops" your ears. Is that normal as well?

1) 75% for me. Take a little volume off. Let your ears get used to a little less volume.

2) Turning the volume down to 3/4 will keep others from hearing your music.

3) That's probably because your music is too loud. Could be damaging in the long term.

When I bought the same headphones, my music was of such variable quality that I had all of the same problems you are having. Switching to a streaming service (or iTunes Match as I did) makes a monumental difference in one's listening enjoyment. The gap between bad mp3s and remastered, clean mp3s/m4as is huge. I originally was going to go the flac route, but honestly, clean m4a is so so good, that my phone is plenty good for my music collection until storage/tech brings flac to the masses.

The m50x's are the best advice I ever got from HF, I'm glad others are getting the same benefit. Fantastic quality at an affordable price without the massive investment that Bose and higher end headphones bring.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
I picked up a set of the Sony MDR1000's today at Best Buy, and I like the ANC quite a bit, much better than the other Sony Bluetooth cans I have. I'm sitting in front of my TV, have them 1000's paired to my laptop, and they make my TV sound like the volume is on low, but in reality, it's at normal volume.

Additionally, $250 is more justifiable on the wallet. IIRC, when they came out they were $400. The one thing I have to look out for, is cracking around the swivel of the headphones, apparently it's a thing - not sure if the MDR1000m2's have fixed it.

Will be keeping my receipt around for sure on these.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Yeah i'm really digging them. Best $170 i've spent in a while. Thanks again HF Boards :yo:

Sep 19, 2008
I'm interested in noise canceling headphones and have been doing research. Lot of people mention sennheiser but they don't seem comfortable. I guess one concern I have is whether the over ear phones are comfortable.

I'm fine paying 300 for the bose q35 but there are so many phones... This cowin e7 on Amazon is well regarded and is only 75 dollars.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I only use wired headphones personally, so I have no experience with the particular pair of Audio Technicas you were considering at Best Buy. The ATH-M50 line of Audio Technicas is very well liked, and is considered one of the best closed-cup, over-ear headphones in that price range.

I have a pair, I use them all the time.

I play music and record, and I find the sound quality excellent for playback and analysis. You hear so much more.

Sep 19, 2008
Over the ear. They came with a case. They still work wonderfully. Love them
Did you fix the issue with the volume?

Also upon Google search they have a nice pair for 150 ish and that's wired. You can get a Bluetooth version for 200. Do you have wired

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Did you fix the issue with the volume?

Also upon Google search they have a nice pair for 150 ish and that's wired. You can get a Bluetooth version for 200. Do you have wired

No it’s not really something to be fixed. When you’re in a quiet area you have to listen to your music more quietly.

Im still absolutely in love with them though. They’re fantastic. Also, if you’re a gamer at all they plug right into an Xbox controller so all the game audio gets sent right through the headphones and it’s phenomenal. My brother in law gave me a fancy gaming headset and it’s not even close to my AT headphones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad