Former Bruins Noel Acciari (He’s a Panther 3 years, $1.7M/yr)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
A puck in the mouth wasn’t about to stop Noel Acciari from putting one in the net - The Boston Globe

Noel Acciari, the first star in the Bruins’ 4-1 win over the Lightning Thursday night, left the Garden with his third goal of the season tacked on his career CV and a big, puck-eating smile on his face.

Admit it, dear reader, you’re wincing right now. Your toes are curled and tucked. The mere notion of a cold, steely chunk of rubber smashing full force into your mouth is probably enough to make you shut the blinds, pull up the covers and text the office (too painful to call!) to inform the boss you’ll need a week or two to get back to full working order. Maybe.

Hockey players aren’t totally alone in the pain-and-play category. Football and rugby players also are a special breed when it comes to toleratin’ the intolerable. But the hockey guys seem to relish their lives as the kings of pain. That either makes them ghoulish or just plain, well . . . nuts.

“No . . . not at all . . . he’s a pretty tough customer,” said Tuukka Rask, asked if he was surprised Acciari was back in the lineup. “I think he just wanted to wear that lucky bubble. He’s a pretty tough cookie.”

“Especially with this group here . . . it takes a lot more than a puck in the mouth to keep a guy out of the game,” said Brad Marchand. “You see what guys consistently play through here.”

“You know,” added Marchand, “hockey players don’t sit out just because they have a sore thumb.”

But a puck to the mouth and teeth flying out as if being shot from a Pez dispenser? Dental pain is its own special category. CVS nearly devotes a full aisle to the gels and assorted numbing agents for customers who’ve lost a filling or had a tooth shatter on a piece of hard candy.

good stuff, I`m positive we know about a quarter if that about the injuries that go on during the course of the year

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I said accari could be exposed to waivers and sent to ahl earlier in the year... and honestly I still feel the same way.

Why on earth would they do that now? And I say that without any thought given to the performance last night.

There's no roster limit now and the cap savings would be less then most of us make in a year.

I know you are going to worry about covering performance bonuses Mike, but let's save you the trouble. With the roster as is today, they have $3 million in cap space projected at the end of the year. And the max performance bonuses are $3 million.

He is not going to be waived.

Reactions: kjpm

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Why on earth would they do that now? And I say that without any thought given to the performance last night.

There's no roster limit now and the cap savings would be less then most of us make in a year.

I know you are going to worry about covering performance bonuses Mike, but let's save you the trouble. With the roster as is today, they have $3 million in cap space projected at the end of the year. And the max performance bonuses are $3 million.

He is not going to be waived.

I just mean if they needed the roster spot and waived him... I wouldn't shed tears over losing him

im happy the line has chemistry and is performing... but I think the other 2 guys are playing their career best hockey. hes being dragged along. this is his best hockey ever too, and its still rather underwhelming

yes he just had a great game. if he had 5 more games like that during the year I would be estatic. but hes had 1-2 games like that his entire career

most games are not like that... what are the odds the next game will be like that?

im sorry, but 1 game in a career doesn't impress me much

when halak was on fire... I said he had a career... he will normalize.
mojo has a career... he will normalize
very very very few guys have 1 great game and suddenly are a new player

I judge on the inherient talent a guy has... and his career body of work... if hes trending I want more than 1 game to give the trend any weight

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Noel has always generated or benefited from good scoring chances playing with Kuraly, and last season Schaller, Nash, Wagner this year. He just doesn't bury them often. He did it last night, but he also got stoned on 3 really good shots which is about par for the course for him in a game. He can make some decent passes too but his linemates have the same basic problem he does: they can't score. I don't think anything has changed with him based on last night. He played the game he always plays, and occasionally it will pay off on the score sheet.

I am not a giant Noel fan, nor a detractor either. What he does well, he does very well: good open ice hitter, fearless shot blocker, willing to go into corners and dig for pucks, play solid positional D. In short, a good fourth line type of player.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I said accari could be exposed to waivers and sent to ahl earlier in the year... and honestly I still feel the same way.

he had 2 points tonight so give him his moment in the sun... hes still on pace for around 10 points for the year. he has averaged around 10 points per 82 games his career so far.

I like his effort defensively... he doesn't shy away from physical play... but hes not a heavy weight. and he is kind of a blackhole offensively

I wouldn't be opposed to keeping him around in providence on a 1-way contract next year because he does play an honest effort and seems like a great role model for the younger kids.

I don't want him in the way of a guy like Karson kuhlman or trent federic for playing time next year though

Any goals from Acciari is a plus and their nice, but his physical presence and the way he's been bringing it as of a late is a must in the playoffs to help wear down and frustrate the opposition.

The bruins will need the plumbers to play a heavy game and as long as the other 3 lines produce offensively and the way McAvoy has started to jump up in the play and help offensively, less and less will be needed for that fourth line as far as scoring, but what they bring with their fore-check and body contact can not be over-looked.

Reactions: HockeyMomx2

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Any goals from Acciari is a plus and their nice, but his physical presence and the way he's been bringing it as of a late is a must in the playoffs to help wear down and frustrate the opposition.

The bruins will need the plumbers to play a heavy game and as long as the other 3 lines produce offensively and the way McAvoy has started to jump up in the play and help offensively, less and less will be needed for that fourth line as far as scoring, but what they bring with their fore-check and body contact can not be over-looked.

my hero is oreilly… no one is a bigger fan of 4th line plumbers than I am... but we have a lot of guys that will ultimately do a better job.

accari paid his dues... hes occupying a spot. he seems better than most defensively, but on an offense challenged team he often let us down

if he doesn't hit... hes useless for the most part. luckily he hits a lot. but if he got hurt and started to not hit so often... his value would fall and fall...

he cant make up for a lack of hitting by getting offense

I don't mind him having a spot if no one else is ready... but he is the weakest link. and honestly, its a coin flip if I prefer him over cehlarik or kuhlman or karlsson. if we happen to lose him I wont feel too bad

I don't see him in the lineup once pastrnak is back

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
my hero is oreilly… no one is a bigger fan of 4th line plumbers than I am... but we have a lot of guys that will ultimately do a better job.

accari paid his dues... hes occupying a spot. he seems better than most defensively, but on an offense challenged team he often let us down

if he doesn't hit... hes useless for the most part. luckily he hits a lot. but if he got hurt and started to not hit so often... his value would fall and fall...

I don't mind him having a spot if no one else is ready... but he is the weakest link. and honestly, its a coin flip if I prefer him over cehlarik or kuhlman or karlsson. if we happen to lose him I wont feel too bad

I think if all is healthy you maybe right, Either him,Backes or Nordstrom but I like that fourth line and what they've been bringing and I believe Cassidy does as well, so I doubt he messes with it and therefore it'll more than likely be one of Nordstrom or Backes.

I'm a big Karlsson fan, sure he only played a few games, but I feel he can be a productive third or 4th line guy today. Its nice having depth, that's for sure.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I think if all is healthy you maybe right, Either him,Backes or Nordstrom but I like that fourth line and what they've been bringing and I believe Cassidy does as well, so I doubt he messes with it and therefore it'll more than likely be one of Nordstrom or Backes.

I'm a big Karlsson fan, sure he only played a few games, but I feel he can be a productive third or 4th line guy today. Its nice having depth, that's for sure.

I will post my favorite lineup again... although a couple of these decesions are flip a coin... top 9 has tons of options

I like Heinen/Bergeron/pastrnak because they are ok and it spreads offense

then I am inclined to go with pastrnak/krejci/mojo... debrusk hot streak not withstanding I just haven't seen enough chemistry him and krejci over the last 2 years

I want to give kuhlman a chance to sink/swim... he has impressed me so much... so put him with coyle/debrusk. speedy line... size/grit... I think theres a chance for something special

and that will drop backes to compete on the 3rd line. yes, accari has played well lately, but backes has been outstanding at times in the playoffs playing with kuraly.

Nordstrom for me... doesn't make the starting lineup... but hes such a good utility player. he can slide in for almost anyone if injuries hit us.

for that matter... accari is a 3 position guy too. I love Nordstrom/accari/stempniak as our first 3 depth players.

in a limited appearance... when hes healthy... when hes hungry... accari can boost the lineup with his play. I just think over an 82 game schedule he gets banged up and his effectiveness disappears

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England

The Wagner/Kuraly/Acciari line is the Bruins second most consistent line used this year at 12.9%. I fail to see Cassidy moving away from them. Even if Acciari is "the weakest link" I doubt he breaks it up if all three are healthy. They work well together and he loves going to them.

Reactions: Chief Nine and GoBs

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
The Wagner/Kuraly/Acciari line is the Bruins second most consistent line used this year at 12.9%. I fail to see Cassidy moving away from them. Even if Acciari is "the weakest link" I doubt he breaks it up if all three are healthy. They work well together and he loves going to them.

He uses them to get favorable matchups at home too. He has no problem rolling them out against other teams quality lines. It helps the other lines feast

Acciari allows Kuraly to play his better position. For the second half of this year they have been great as far as a 4th line goes

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
I will never understand the hate for this guy. He hits everything that moves and has been a part of one of the best 4th lines in hockey.

Reactions: Alicat

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
I will never understand the hate for this guy. He hits everything that moves and has been a part of one of the best 4th lines in hockey.
Popped one in last night, kills penalties and wins an occasional face off when needed
Even with Pasta coming back he is not the one sitting

Reactions: Yeti34

BRUINS since 1995

May 10, 2010
Au pays de la neige
I just mean if they needed the roster spot and waived him... I wouldn't shed tears over losing him

im happy the line has chemistry and is performing... but I think the other 2 guys are playing their career best hockey. hes being dragged along. this is his best hockey ever too, and its still rather underwhelming

yes he just had a great game. if he had 5 more games like that during the year I would be estatic. but hes had 1-2 games like that his entire career

most games are not like that... what are the odds the next game will be like that?

im sorry, but 1 game in a career doesn't impress me much

when halak was on fire... I said he had a career... he will normalize.
mojo has a career... he will normalize
very very very few guys have 1 great game and suddenly are a new player

I judge on the inherient talent a guy has... and his career body of work... if hes trending I want more than 1 game to give the trend any weight
your post makes sense and i would normally agree with you but Acciari has been playing well for most part of the season, playing a physical presence and developping chemistry with Wagner and Kuraly. He is also part of the success this line is having for a moment.

Tbrady12

Oct 19, 2018
I do think what he lacks in finish and playmaking ability he more than makes up for in defensive responsibility and physicality. Kuraly is all about possession he can hold the puck but has no finish either, his speed and skating ability are his strengths. Wagner has the best hands of the group and could probably pop a few more goals with a couple of more guys a little more skilled. If he had been given the line mates that Nordstrom has had all year in the top 9, I'm sure he have more goals.

But the chemistry they have with each other is what makes them great. They all really seem to enjoy their role on this team.

Reactions: kjpm

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015

How many games has Cassidy started that line this year? He’s rewarded them many times for their play by starting them in games and also going to them to start periods

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
I don't get the need for the full shield. It's not like it's a broken nose or jaw. I can't imagine Terry O'Reilly wearing that after an injury like that, or Cashman, Byers, Markwart, DiMaio.........

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I don't get the need for the full shield. It's not like it's a broken nose or jaw. I can't imagine Terry O'Reilly wearing that after an injury like that, or Cashman, Byers, Markwart, DiMaio.........

I don't get the need for this post. Yet, here we are.

Last edited:

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
I'll fully admit, I've never been an Acciari guy, I think a lot of people understand that.

That being said, he's been a different player over the last 20ish games.
Came to post this. I've crapped on this guy all year but clearly he is starting to have some value to the Bruins - that 4th line is starting to bring back memories of the merlot line.

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad