Former Bruins Noel Acciari (He’s a Panther 3 years, $1.7M/yr)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
Yeah, and were they ready or brace themselves for the impact?

Especially along the wall, if you brace your shoulder right against the glass/boards Acciari is going to bounce off you, the vast majority of players would unless the checker is significantly bigger than you.

This is simple hockey 101 basic stuff. I already said he's a very good hitter against a lot of players. But Big D-men have an size/strength advantage and can negate the effectiveness of his hits.
Having the defender focus on bracing themselves for the impact rather than on making a play with the puck is kind of the whole point.

Reactions: CDJ

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Having the defender focus on bracing themselves for the impact rather than on making a play with the puck is kind of the whole point.

Well if the defender is worth a grain of salt at all, they'll make the play and then brace for the hit. Takes literally micro-seconds.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Yeah, and were they ready or brace themselves for the impact?

Especially along the wall, if you brace your shoulder right against the glass/boards Acciari is going to bounce off you, the vast majority of players would unless the checker is significantly bigger than you.

This is simple hockey 101 basic stuff. I already said he's a very good hitter against a lot of players. But Big D-men have an size/strength advantage and can negate the effectiveness of his hits.

Cool i guess? Acciari rarely gets reversed hit, regardless of size. Kind if makes your point moot. Acciari is playing his role well.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Blew up Fantenberg last night and I wouldn’t call him small. He’s a pretty dense guy. Only 6’ flat though

I think he’s played much better in the last 1/3 of the season. He’s obviously not irreplaceable but I think you can win with him as the 4th line center (and with this 4th line in general)

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Blew up Fantenberg last night and I wouldn’t call him small. He’s a pretty dense guy. Only 6’ flat though

I think he’s played much better in the last 1/3 of the season. He’s obviously not irreplaceable but I think you can win with him as the 4th line center (and with this 4th line in general)

Why do people keep calling the Acciari line the 4th line.

On this current team under Cassidy it's clearly the 3rd line. Your 4th line in terms of minutes, production, whatever metric you want is the Frederic line. Doesn't matter if the wingers are Backes, or Nordstrom, or now Kuhlman, that's the 4th line.

And you ain't winning a darn thing with Kuraly-Acciari-Wagner as your 3rd line. Since the all-star break, 10 games in and the Frederic line has posted a big ZERO across the board. Not a single point from any of Nordstrom, Backes, Frederic, etc.

Well the vaunted Acciari 3rd line in that 10 game stretch has posts points in just ONE of those 10 games, the game against Anaheim.

So you have a 10 game stretch where you have zero production from your 4th line, and just production in one game out of 10 from your 3rd line.

You'll never win anything if you getting production from you 3rd line one game out of every 10.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Because the idea is they were the 4th line and will probably go back to being the 4th line if adequate help is acquired in the near future.

You seem to be holding his role against him. He doesn’t get to choose it. In an ideal world he would be a very solid 4th line center. Hopefully in the near future he becomes that.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
I don't have an issue with him or the rest of the 4th line in general. I do have an issue with how much TOI Cassidy gives them and with the situations he's putting them out in. It's like he's been channeling his inner Claude Julien this season and it's frustrating.

i think if cassidy had a "3rd line", the acciari line would probably not play so much. just a guess ;)

Tbaybruin

Feb 2, 2016

On this current team under Cassidy it's clearly the 3rd line. Your 4th line in terms of minutes, production, whatever metric you want is the Frederic line. Doesn't matter if the wingers are Backes, or Nordstrom, or now Kuhlman, that's the 4th line.

And you ain't winning a darn thing with Kuraly-Acciari-Wagner as your 3rd line. Since the all-star break, 10 games in and the Frederic line has posted a big ZERO across the board. Not a single point from any of Nordstrom, Backes, Frederic, etc.

Well the vaunted Acciari 3rd line in that 10 game stretch has posts points in just ONE of those 10 games, the game against Anaheim.

So you have a 10 game stretch where you have zero production from your 4th line, and just production in one game out of 10 from your 3rd line.

You'll never win anything if you getting production from you 3rd line one game out of every 10.
Well the trueth hurts. You are so bang on.

EdwardSharpe

Apr 26, 2017
If you watch the game from last night you'd only need to watch the first shift of the game to see what Acciari brings to the team. He knocks players down like a bowling ball, rarely takes penalties and seems to be completely unafraid to go in the corners full speed. He does his job better than most and isn't some JAG that you could replace with anyone and ask them to play his type of game. The argument that he bounce of bigger defensemen seem a little bit absurd, he has a low center of gravity and rarely falls when hitting or getting hit. In an episode of Behind the B an opponent asked if #55 has lead in his skates which might say what others think of him. Long post but I feel that Acciari is one of the unsung heroes of the team who deserves some credit.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Because the idea is they were the 4th line and will probably go back to being the 4th line if adequate help is acquired in the near future.

You seem to be holding his role against him. He doesn’t get to choose it. In an ideal world he would be a very solid 4th line center. Hopefully in the near future he becomes that.

I don't care about this "role" nonsense I see people post about on HF Boards. It's a load of you-know-what. He's out there playing hockey to the best of his ability. He has two real assets, his ability to hit guys in open ice and when they aren't ready to be hit, and his guts (which I have no problem saying he has plenty of guts.). He is arguably the least effective forward in the NHL with the puck on his stick. No exaggeration.

But that's it. Even his own coach has scratched him lately at times. A player who puts up a point on average once every 10 games isn't a solid 4th line center by any metric.

He's the replaceable spare part on a line that would be just as good if not better with many centers in the league. Wagner and Kuraly keep that line going, Acciari is just along for the ride. As a matter of fact, if the Bruins do add between now and the deadline, they'd be better off putting Frederic in that C spot between Wagner and Kuraly and letting Noel get used to wearing a suit.

I should expect as much from Bruins fans. Bruins fans are always overrating guys because they lay body-checks.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
I don't care about this "role" nonsense I see people post about on HF Boards. It's a load of you-know-what. He's out there playing hockey to the best of his ability. He has two real assets, his ability to hit guys in open ice and when they aren't ready to be hit, and his guts (which I have no problem saying he has plenty of guts.). He is arguably the least effective forward in the NHL with the puck on his stick. No exaggeration.

But that's it. Even his own coach has scratched him lately at times. A player who puts up a point on average once every 10 games isn't a solid 4th line center by any metric.

He's the replaceable spare part on a line that would be just as good if not better with many centers in the league. Wagner and Kuraly keep that line going, Acciari is just along for the ride. As a matter of fact, if the Bruins do add between now and the deadline, they'd be better off putting Frederic in that C spot between Wagner and Kuraly and letting Noel get used to wearing a suit.

I should expect as much from Bruins fans. Bruins fans are always overrating guys because they lay body-checks. .
Can’t keep track of your blathering - you dont care about his role/you insist he’s a 3rd liner; you say Cassidy plays him too much/Cassidy scratches him, you say he’s a spare part/he gets used all the time. None of it has to do with Acciari. Then you cry about what you can “expect from bruins fans” on a bruins board because you apparently don’t think hitting is part of the game. It’s all nonsense.

The team is on a roll and climbing. He’s absolutely been part of that (see his icetime; defensive zone start % and the teams goals against; hits, and faceoff %) and he’s dirt cheap. Give the horse shit a rest and take a walk, it’s a beautiful day out there.

Last edited:

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine

I should expect as much from Bruins fans. Bruins fans are always overrating guys because they lay body-checks.

Role nonsense? I think you say that just because you don't like the player and it's making you say dumb things. Coaches talk all the time about players and the roles they play on the team.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009

I disagree

That 4th line has not been the same with Nordstrom nor Backes instead

So what is your rebuttal?

Acciari has been a factor vs the Hawks, Ducks and Kings. Yes not on the scoreboard (though he did help screen that Carlo goal vs the Ducks) but in terms of providing that heavy game making things uncomfortable for the opposing teams and providing confidence for the Bruins

example Patrick Kane got leveled by Acciari.

Reactions: GoBs

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton

The Kuraly line would have trouble scoring at the best of times but I don’t mind them not scoring if they are being matched up against another teams 1st or 2nd line . Personally I love the Kuraly line and would like to see them matched up against the Matthews line in the first round.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Can’t keep track of your blathering - you dont care about his role/you insist he’s a 3rd liner; you say Cassidy plays him too much/Cassidy scratches him, you say he’s a spare part/he gets used all the time. None of it has to do with Acciari. Then you cry about what you can “expect from bruins fans” on a bruins board because you apparently don’t think hitting is part of the game. It’s all nonsense.

The team is on a roll and climbing. He’s absolutely been part of that (see his icetime; defensive zone start % and the teams goals against; hits, and faceoff %) and he’s dirt cheap. Give the horse **** a rest and take a walk, it’s a beautiful day out there.

Where did I ever say hitting isn't part of the game?

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I disagree

That 4th line has not been the same with Nordstrom nor Backes instead

So what is your rebuttal?

Acciari has been a factor vs the Hawks, Ducks and Kings. Yes not on the scoreboard (though he did help screen that Carlo goal vs the Ducks) but in terms of providing that heavy game making things uncomfortable for the opposing teams and providing confidence for the Bruins

example Patrick Kane got leveled by Acciari.

The one game Backes centered that line it was fine.

It faltered with Nordstrom because it involved moving Kuraly back to the middle where he's less suited.

Look at the teams you just listed off. Kings. Ducks. Two of the worst and slowest teams in the league. Opponents conducive to the game Acciari and his brethren bring.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Role nonsense? I think you say that just because you don't like the player and it's making you say dumb things. Coaches talk all the time about players and the roles they play on the team.

What does it mean then exactly? I see it posted on HF Boards all the time but I never see any context behind it other than its typically an excuse for a player's lack of production or lack of development.

What is it the say Acciari's line is trying to accomplish that is so special that other lines aren't? And don't give me that "energy" crap because that's another load of bunk. Seems to me like a players's "role" is whatever he is limited to accomplishing on the ice. Acciari can't score, can't make plays, so that's not "his role" Well no &&%&**.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
What does it mean then exactly? I see it posted on HF Boards all the time but I never see any context behind it other than its typically an excuse for a player's lack of production or lack of development.

What is it the say Acciari's line is trying to accomplish that is so special that other lines aren't? And don't give me that "energy" crap because that's another load of bunk. Seems to me like a players's "role" is whatever he is limited to accomplishing on the ice. Acciari can't score, can't make plays, so that's not "his role" Well no &&%&**.

Now energy is crap?

Please don't tell me you think the earth is flat. I feel like that's the next step you're going to take here.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Now energy is crap?

Please don't tell me you think the earth is flat. I feel like that's the next step you're going to take here.

You can't measure it, you can't quantify it. What is it exactly?

Now if you want to say that a line can be designed so that their primary objective is to maintain puck possession in the offensive zone and attempt to increase the fatigue factor of their opponents and thus spend less time in your own zone, that I can see. One of the reasons Boston's defensive numbers are as good as they are is all 4 lines are pretty good at the cycle game and wearing down opponents.

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
You can't measure it, you can't quantify it. What is it exactly?

Now if you want to say that a line can be designed so that their primary objective is to maintain puck possession in the offensive zone and attempt to increase the fatigue factor of their opponents and thus spend less time in your own zone, that I can see. One of the reasons Boston's defensive numbers are as good as they are is all 4 lines are pretty good at the cycle game and wearing down opponents.

You just answered your own question, praise the heavens!

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I think Bruins should think about extending Acciari

Shouldnt be too expensive. Maybe 900k?

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
Why is that? Role players with limited skills do get and deserve raises in this league for doing what's asked and expected from them, even if that doesn't impact the overall team every night. They get it for basically not being a net negative, which a lot of 4th line players in this league are.
I don't really get the hate that Acciari receives pretty much for this reason. Acciari is doing his job and taking enough pressure off the top line to have us as productive as we are. It would be great if he could score some goals but for right now he is cheap, plays solid defensively, and hits guys hard some times. It would be really nice to have him produce more, but right now I'm most concerned with what is essentially a useless what should have been our 3rd line.

Reactions: minpind and LSCII

False Start

May 8, 2018
He's stepped it up as of late. But that just means he's not a net negative like he was for the majority of the season.

Don't worry he's easily still the most replaceable out of the line. I'm just warning you all don't be fooled by this small stretch of good performances. I sure hope he keeps it up but I'm not betting anything on it continuing down the stretch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad