Confirmed with Link: Noah Rod contract to be terminated

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Yeah, this guy is and always has been a total bust. Even guys who appear to be “worst case scenario 4th liner” types typically don’t pan out.

Reactions: Nighthock

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
This whole thing is worse then the usual bust draft pick.

This is just a person who doesn't want to put in hard work to succeed in his career. What was even the point of him going to the draft.

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
This whole thing is worse then the usual bust draft pick.

This is just a person who doesn't want to put in hard work to succeed in his career. What was even the point of him going to the draft.

He may not want to put in the work but there was never any indication he had talent to begin with. He has 46 points in 162 career NLA games. That's horrendous.

Helistin

Dustin's equilibrium
Aug 12, 2006
Close to you
Isn't really a question of if he is or isn't putting the hard work in(which for some reason can only be done in AHL according to some people). I'm guessing he thinks that playing in the AHL doesn't improve his chances to make it to the NHL so he will rather play at home and make more money while doing it and maybe at some point one NHL team will take a chance with him and offer him a one-way contract.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Goldobin and Bergman were defensible picks even though they haven't panned out. Rod never made any sense. You don't pick a guy who scores three points in 28 Swiss league games in his draft year in the second round. Honestly I think all the picks the Sharks made in 2014 except for Rod were good ones at the time. Can't really fault them for guys failing to develop. And, really, if Goldobin joins Labanc as an established NHLer that's a successful draft overall based on where they picked.
You thought Schoenborn was a good pick?

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Noah Rod was one of the picks that we got from trading Douglas Murray to the Pens. The other pick was moved to move up to take Mirco Mueller. Great trade to get two 2nd round picks for Murray who was done by then. Terrible use of draft picks even at the time.

I thought they traded one of the picks back to Pittsburgh for Tyler Kennedy? Or am I misremembering?

Still, that draft sucked.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
He may not want to put in the work but there was never any indication he had talent to begin with. He has 46 points in 162 career NLA games. That's horrendous.
I think the main reason Rod was drafted was because of how he performed in International competitions during his draft year. He got drafted in 2014 and he had only 3 points in 28 games in the NLA. But his performance in international competitions was quite good.

upload_2018-7-17_14-17-2.png

Not saying that is a good measure but would not be surprised if that is what was looked at. Either way, even if he panned out, he was never going to be more than a 4th line grinder and agitator.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The discussion of the 2014 draft made me go back and look at what the team did in the vaunted 2003 draft. There are a lot of things done that with hindsight looks disappointing but Pavs in the 7th round pretty much makes up for it all. lol

I still remember wanting Ryan Suter over Michalek but Michalek was serviceable. They traded up to draft Steve Bernier over Ryan Getzlaf and moved a 2nd and a 4th in the process. There isn't really anything behind those picks in a reasonable range to worry about that though. They moved a 3rd and two 5ths to get Matt Carle over Shea Weber. The only one around the picks given up would be Lee Stempniak. They traded a 3rd to move up seven spots to draft Josh Hennessy over Patrice Bergeron. Nothing really lost on that 3rd though because the 3rd round of 2003 was pretty much a bust.

Not really judging it because it's purely hindsight but I just like to think what the team would look like if it drafted Suter, Getzlaf, Bergeron, and Weber instead. It's very likely they don't get Joe Thornton but Marleau, Getzlaf, and Bergeron with Suter and Weber is a hell of a starting five. lol

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
And 2004's draft was really rough. The Sharks moved 28, 52, and 91 to get 22 and 153. If they stayed at their pick, they were just one spot ahead of Mike Green's draft spot but Mark Fistric was also better than Kaspar obviously and while 52 wasn't anything at that point or shortly after, pick 91 was Alex Edler. But the bigger disappointment is that they traded the pick that was David Krejci to trade back and get Greiss, Churchill, and Mahoney-Wilson. Ahh what could have been lol

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
I was like Hennessey over Bergeron- how does that happen? That said, Hennessey outscored Bergeron, while being a +26. Both were second in each of their divisions in the east QMJHL conference. Makes ya wonder if there was a big debate between those two guys or anything. A year later Bergeron put up 39 points in 70 games in the NHL. Crazy!

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
I still don't really understand why Hennessy never got more of a look in the NHL. He tore up the Q and the AHL at a very young age. Was he just a terrible skater or something?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I still don't really understand why Hennessy never got more of a look in the NHL. He tore up the Q and the AHL at a very young age. Was he just a terrible skater or something?

He wasn't a terrible skater but he didn't have anything from a physical standpoint that was exceptional. Guys like him are guys that need to think the game quickly and anticipate well with the higher speed and he couldn't do that.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Praplan actually stands a better chance of working out in the NHL anyway.

So stupid, it makes me angry.

More upside? Totally. Better attitude? I don't know. He's not coming over to play AHL, I can promise you that. Praplan is loaded with talent and I don't think he outworked anybody to get to where his game is now. If you ask me, he's Damien Brunner 2,0. Brunner left Detroit after scoring 9 in 14 during the playoffs because Babcock was pushing him to improve his decision making and game against the puck. Crazy.
Praplan has better size and played in NA before so there's reason for optimism. Having said that, he's just as much of a one dimensional floater as Brunner and top of that he tends to disappear in important games. If you watched him over the years, he was 90% invisible/crap during postseason/international games.

It's nice to have an attractive/strong league but it's kinda sad that it leads to Swiss players not being willing to work on their game to eventually fulfill their potential. As a Finn or Swede, Rod would have given it a shot in the AHL and guys like Brunner or Praplan would be NHL stars now. We have tons of similar players wasting their talent in the NLA. It drives me crazy.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
So stupid, it makes me angry.

More upside? Totally. Better attitude? I don't know. He's not coming over to play AHL, I can promise you that. Praplan is loaded with talent and I don't think he outworked anybody to get to where his game is now. If you ask me, he's Damien Brunner 2,0. Brunner left Detroit after scoring 9 in 14 during the playoffs because Babcock was pushing him to improve his decision making and game against the puck. Crazy.
Praplan has better size and played in NA before so there's reason for optimism. Having said that, he's just as much of a one dimensional floater as Brunner and top of that he tends to disappear in important games. If you watched him over the years, he was 90% invisible/crap during postseason/international games.

It's nice to have an attractive/strong league but it's kinda sad that it leads to Swiss players not being willing to work on their game to eventually fulfill their potential. As a Finn or Swede, Rod would have given it a shot in the AHL and guys like Brunner or Praplan would be NHL stars now. We have tons of similar players wasting their talent in the NLA. It drives me crazy.

While I think that true threats to team cohesion should be avoided at any cost, in general, talent over attitude is the better path.

The counter to this is that a minutia of prospects can make the NHL with poor work ethic and a bad attitude, and we tend to grossly overestimate how much a player can mature. But hard-working players can carve out roles as bottom six glue guys.

Sharksrule04

Jul 23, 2010
New York, NY
I always thought Rod looked great in the World Junior Championships which made me think he could develop into a middle 6 forward since he was generally playing against the best in his age group. He clearly though doesn't care about developing into an NHL pro since he refuses to play in the AHL. Wasted pick that was.

Reactions: Hinterland

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
What a disaster the 2014 Draft was. Goldobin, Bergman, Rod, Schoenborn, Sadowy, and Vanier all total busts and no longer with the org. Thank goodness for the final two picks of that draft in Chartier and Labanc for not making it a total 0fer. I really liked the Goldobin pick at the time as his upside was what I wanted, but hated the entire 2nd and 3rd rounds. Looks like my suspicions were correct. The 2014 offseason as a whole was the biggest WTF moment in Sharks history. Mike Brown extension, sign John Scott, and the whole draft thing are a real black eye on DW's resume.

Why is Bergman a bust? He has been getting better every year.

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
https://www.gshc.ch/fr/News/Actualites/Noah-Rod-entierement-fidele-au-Grenat.html

Rod named captain of Geneva and wants to concentrate completely on his Swiss team. That’s part of the reason why his contract was terminated. He also extended his contact with Geneva 2 more years to 2023-24. Based on the quote there his ambition does not seem to go beyond the NLA. It's pretty shitty that the Sharks wasted a 2nd round pick on a guy with little to no interest in playing in the NHL.

Last edited:

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I always thought Rod looked great in the World Junior Championships which made me think he could develop into a middle 6 forward since he was generally playing against the best in his age group. He clearly though doesn't care about developing into an NHL pro since he refuses to play in the AHL. Wasted pick that was.

Exactly. And it's not just him. It's a general Swiss problem and the reason why our players, just like the Russians, get drafted ridiculously late or not at all. Just look at the Swiss NHL forwards. Meier, Malgin and Hischier are the first ones with a bit of drive and willingness to get better. Some others may have played and are are still playing but they're living from their talent alone.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Why is Bergman a bust? He has been getting better every year.
He took a dramatic step backwards this past season. He will never be a regular NHLer which to me as a 2nd rounder (especially one that you traded up in the 2nd round to get) means bust.

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
He took a dramatic step backwards this past season.

What "dramatic step backwards" did he take? He played good defense and boosted his goal production. He scored 10 less points than the season prior but the whole team lost a lot of production from the year prior.

He will never be a regular NHLer which to me as a 2nd rounder (especially one that you traded up in the 2nd round to get) means bust.

I guess we will see. I never take the absolutist approach.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
What "dramatic step backwards" did he take? He played good defense and boosted his goal production. He scored 10 less points than the season prior but the whole team lost a lot of production from the year prior.

I guess we will see. I never take the absolutist approach.
His defense was much much worse this season than the progression it had been on before this season. His ES scoring was way down as 6 of his 10 goals were on the PP and he was passed up by the addition of Kyle Wood and internally by Middleton being well on his way to being passed by Brodzinski/DeSimone. Maybe I shouldn't say he will never be an NHL regular, but he was never going to be an NHL player in this org given he was about 7th or 8th internally on the RD depth chart.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->