Prospect Info: Noah Juulsen Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Wouldn't rush Juulsen. We're solid on the right side already and I'd rather he play top line in Laval rather than bottom pair on the Habs.

I'm ok with him playing bottom pair in Montreal IF he's fully healthy.

BUT, no doubt he could still learn a lot playing as a number 1 dman in Laval - playing in all situations.

Reactions: DangerDave

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He was fighting to keep his nose above water more often than not. He wasn't ready.

Both Mete and him could've used the time to simmer in Laval. To learn to be more assertive offensively in each cases and Juulsen to also work on his skating - any kind of moderate speed in the NHL would expose him. We saw how much even the small amount of time helped Mete's game.

Yes, and if we sign a LD like Jake Gardiner, we have enough depth on D to allow both Mete and Juulsen to get another full year in Laval to develop, if need be.

Gardiner Weber
Kulak Petry
Benn/Reilly Folin

Hannibal

Fear the Weber
Feb 11, 2007
Juulsen is an interesting case.

Do we trade him while he stills has value for similar player LHD, since we have Brook and Fleury coming.

Or we keep him. One thing is concerning about him, is that he looks maybe injury prone early in career, unfortunately... last year the ankle, this year the eye/face, in junior it was the commotion... always one injury keeping him away from a full year of crucial developement.. :(

Habs4Life

Aug 29, 2003
Saint John, NB
Juulsen is an interesting case.

Do we trade him while he stills has value for similar player LHD, since we have Brook and Fleury coming.

Or we keep him. One thing is concerning about him, is that he looks maybe injury prone early in career, unfortunately... last year the ankle, this year the eye/face, in junior it was the commotion... always one injury keeping him away from a full year of crucial developement.. :(

Well the eye/face could happen to anyone just a fluke that it was him, so wouldn't hold that against him.

Reactions: CanadiensChick

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
If the injuries were repeated and pointed to a consistent issue (eg. if they were consistent/chronic ankle injuries) I'd be concerned but I wouldn't really put much stock in Juulsen being injury prone. I have no idea about how bad this eye injury is and it's possible it'll be a long term issue but that's a different thing from being injury prone. Concussions pretty much are what they are and it happens, and the puck thing was just cosmically bad luck so I wouldn't worry about it beyodn the actual impact of the injury itself.

It's possible injuries and missing time in critical years has hurt his development to the point he'll never reach some theoretical ceiling in another timeline without the concussions/injuries, but that doesn't actually mean anything for the team. The relevant question is whether he's worth keeping around today vs. what he's worth in a trade today and I'm skeptical they'd get much in a trade for him at the moment so there's no reason to move the guy.

Remember that Andrei Markov was considered "injury prone" after the knee injuries in 2010 and 2011, and then missed only 2 games in the next 4 seasons. Humans like to find patterns in things that are sometimes completely random and unrelated.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
If the injuries were repeated and pointed to a consistent issue (eg. if they were consistent ankle injuries from "normal" play) I'd be concerned but I wouldn't really put much stock in Juulsen being injury prone. I have no idea about how bad this eye injury is and it's possible it'll be a long term issue but that's different from being injury prone. Concussions pretty much are what they are and it happens, and the puck thing was just cosmically bad luck.

It's possible injuries have hurt his development to the point he'll never reach some theoretical ceiling in another timeline without the concussions/injuries, but that doesn't really mean anything for the team since the relevant question is whether he's worth keeping around today vs. what he's worth in a trade today and I'm skeptical they'd get much in a trade for him at the moment so there's no reason to move the guy.

Also remember that Andrei Markov was considered "injury prone" after the knee injuries in 2010 and 2011, and then missed only 2 games in the next 4 seasons. We like to find patterns in things that are sometimes completely random and unrelated.
I like your optimism. I want to share yours too. But I'm cautious to all the possible cases.

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
I like your optimism. I want to share yours too. But I'm cautious to all the possible cases.
To be honest I'm pessimistic about his outlook given the injuries but that's a different thing from being worried he's injury prone. I'm not particularly worried that Juulsen is more likely to be frequently injured in the future than any other player besides the concussion, the ankle injury is unrelated and the eye thing was just a complete fluke.

I am worried that missing so much time in critical development years will stunt his skill development, but like I said that's largely irrelevant because all that matters is weighing the trade value today vs. his realistic value going forward and I'm skeptical anyone will offer much in trade now.

Last edited:

Theodore450

Sep 10, 2013
If the injuries were repeated and pointed to a consistent issue (eg. if they were consistent/chronic ankle injuries) I'd be concerned but I wouldn't really put much stock in Juulsen being injury prone. I have no idea about how bad this eye injury is and it's possible it'll be a long term issue but that's a different thing from being injury prone. Concussions pretty much are what they are and it happens, and the puck thing was just cosmically bad luck so I wouldn't worry about it beyodn the actual impact of the injury itself.

It's possible injuries and missing time in critical years has hurt his development to the point he'll never reach some theoretical ceiling in another timeline without the concussions/injuries, but that doesn't actually mean anything for the team. The relevant question is whether he's worth keeping around today vs. what he's worth in a trade today and I'm skeptical they'd get much in a trade for him at the moment so there's no reason to move the guy.

Remember that Andrei Markov was considered "injury prone" after the knee injuries in 2010 and 2011, and then missed only 2 games in the next 4 seasons. Humans like to find patterns in things that are sometimes completely random and unrelated.
This, although there are cases of weak and fragile players who can be considered injury prone, example lupul. It comes down to how they take care of their body, or even how they play

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
This, although there are cases of weak and fragile players who can be considered injury prone, example lupul. It comes down to how they take care of their body, or even how they play

The game is becoming less physical. There are fewer injuries. With Juulsen, my main concern is with blocking shots. In addition to taking care of his body, I would make sure he has top notch equipment for blocking shots.

There was a picture of him working out. He has quite skinny legs.

Habs10Habs

Retired
Sponsor
Aug 22, 2006
The game is becoming less physical. There are fewer injuries. With Juulsen, my main concern is with blocking shots. In addition to taking care of his body, I would make sure he has top notch equipment for blocking shots.

There was a picture of him working out. He has quite skinny legs.

Get him a pair of old Craig Ludvig's shin pads. :)

Reactions: jaffy27 and McTusk

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
Yes, and if we sign a LD like Jake Gardiner, we have enough depth on D to allow both Mete and Juulsen to get another full year in Laval to develop, if need be.

Gardiner Weber
Kulak Petry
Benn/Reilly Folin
Mete was one of our best defensemen in the second half of the season. He does not need more time in the AHL.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Mete was one of our best defensemen in the second half of the season. He does not need more time in the AHL.

I would agree that he was one of our best d in the second half of the season, but that he could still benefit from more time in Laval.

But, since he'll be one of our best d at training camp, he won't be sent to Laval.

Reactions: Guns n Roses

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I expect Juulsen to have a Mete like season next year. I think he might be up and down... but I think he's end the season as a fixture that we are penciling in for the next decade by seasons end.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

As good as Mete was in certain facets of his game, nor does he need to be a first pairing D. He probably wouldn't make it there on any other team.

A first pairing D that can't score a goal in two seasons is not a first pairing D.

Starting next season with Mete at first pairing will mean that Bergevin will have failed to address one of the main priorities of the off season, if not the most glaring need.

Back to Juulsen, since it's a Juulsen thread apparently. Great news that he's getting greenlighted for next season.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guns n Roses
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad