Player Discussion Noah Hanifin

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Was he though? Before coming to Calgary he had multiple 40 point seasons. He never found that offensive touch while here, but I never thought of him as a defensive D, by choice anyway.

When we signed J-Bo, he was considered a complete two-way D - the next Scott Niedermayer.

And then Brent Sutter did to him what Glen Gulutzan did to TJ Brodie - played him completely against his strengths. He was a workhorse for us but totally lost playing a style that didn't fit.

The 30-ish games under Hartley he gave us were his best as a Flame, unfortunately the team was a mess that lockout year.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
This guy has the pedigree to be a top D in the league. People are undervaluing Hanafin. Guys been in the NHL for a bit now, and he’s 21... by 25 you might have a monster.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
This guy has the pedigree to be a top D in the league. People are undervaluing Hanafin. Guys been in the NHL for a bit now, and he’s 21... by 25 you might have a monster.

Key word might. Could also be he never progresses past what he is now. A good puck moving and very agile 2nd pairing defender. Development doesn't always work that way, I think it's fair to say we can expect him to get better considering his age, but there's really only so many 2 way monster top pairing dmen in the league. As much as Flames fans don't want to see Dougie in that light, they just traded one with the belief that two young players are going to take that next step.

That being said I do like Hanifin to get better. Possess's a lot of the qualities I think are going to be totally necessary to be a great dman in this league. It's not just about speed anymore, it's the speed in which you can take or make a pass, get to the wall in the offensive zone and keep the puck in, or win a small footrace along the boards to get position on a puck. When the game is as tight as it is these days, every split second matters, and I think Hanifin has the agility and edgework to be a fantastic all around defenceman. What really distinguishes between the elite and the very good is how they think the game. From most accounts Hanifin is strong in this area but I can't say I've seen enough to judge for myself.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
@Bounces R Way didn't you say you wanted a Hamilton/Harmonic pair when we were at the draft party? The Hamifin pairing is going to be very close to that IMO with Noah being more adept at the outlet pass

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Hanifin is a 21 year old dman already playing big minutes. I'd be far more surprised if he didn't improve a lot in the coming years.

Hanifin averaged around 18:52 ice time during the 17/18 season, so I don't think it's crazy to think he can play up to 21-22.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Victor Hedman didn't break out until his like 6th/7th season? I remember his first few years he struggled and patiently it paid off as he is now a Norris winner. Hanifin is going into his 4th year and people dont expect him to improve? He was drafted to be a franchise cornerstone defenseman and imo he'll be that, guy will be a stud for the next 15 years.

I'm not saying he WILL be the next Hedman, my point is he took a while to get going and when he did he became a beast so there's always hope.

Same goes for Bennett and Lindholm, look at Mikael Grandlund. 3 40 point years then exploded for back-to-back 65+ point seasons. Zucker is the same on Minny .

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
@Bounces R Way didn't you say you wanted a Hamilton/Harmonic pair when we were at the draft party? The Hamifin pairing is going to be very close to that IMO with Noah being more adept at the outlet pass

I did ya. Hamifin(heh) does have a potential to be a pairing that complements each other well I agree, but lots of us(myself included) thought the Brodie - Hamonic pair would work better than it did too. Hanifin I think is a bit more comparable to Brodie than he is to Hamilton at least at this stage of his career. Hamonic, despite getting labelled as a stay at home shut down type, is quite adept at skating it out and has a good first pass as well, so it could really make for an excellent all situations pairing if Peters has these guys playing very tight gaps and quick transitions.

What I'll be very curious to see is how confident Hanifin is along the offensive blue line, how he walks it, the quality of his pinch/not pinch decisions, whether he hangs on to the puck for an extra second and tries to make a play rather than just sending it back into the corners, and finally how often he looks to attack the net coming in from a point position. Those were some of the facets of Hamilton's game that I really thought he was among the best in the league at, as well as being our ONLY consistent threat to score from the perimeter. He really was great at holding that blue line down.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyrano

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I did ya. Hamifin(heh) does have a potential to be a pairing that complements each other well I agree, but lots of us(myself included) thought the Brodie - Hamonic pair would work better than it did too. Hanifin I think is a bit more comparable to Brodie than he is to Hamilton at least at this stage of his career. Hamonic despite getting labelled as a stay at home shut down type is quite adept at skating it out and has a good first pass as well, so it could really make for an excellent all situations pairing if Peters has these guys playing very tight gaps and quick transitions.

What I'll be very curious to see is how confident Hanifin is along the offensive blue line, how he walks it, the quality of his pinch/not pinch decisions, whether he hangs on to the puck for an extra second and tries to make a play rather than just sending it back into the corners, and how often he looks to attack the net coming in from a point position. Those were some of the facets of Hamilton's game that I really thought he was among the best in the league at, as well as being our ONLY consistent threat to score from the perimeter. He really was great at holding that blue line down.
I think Hanifin might be more comparable to Brodie too,but I don't think he wanders as much and is a better skater, he might even be better than Hamilton in that rehard as he's more agile

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Also didn't realize he mostly played with TVR last season, thought for some reason it would have been Faulk. Thus far in his career Hanifin has started in the offensive zone 60% of the time under Peters. That indicates he's been played largely in a sheltered 2nd pairing role. Wouldn't hold it against him too much though considering he was on the same team as Slavin - Pesce.

I think Hanifin might be more comparable to Brodie too,but I don't think he wanders as much and is a better skater, he might even be better than Hamilton in that rehard as he's more agile

Yeah I really haven't seen enough to make a definitive judgement but I would say Hamilton and Brodie have fantastic top speeds, while Hanifin has the agility and short distance quickness going for him. 21 year old legs make a big difference sometimes.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Hamfin?

More like Sharkpig, amirite?

Ce98_I5XIAQDLqG.jpg

I'll show myself out.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
That second pairing will be a really good one.
If these two find chemistry, good luck. Hanifin could score 40+.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I always find it interesting when contract talks that are going "well" take this long. Is it just two months of shooting the shit until they put pen to paper?

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I always find it interesting when contract talks that are going "well" take this long. Is it just two months of shooting the **** until they put pen to paper?
Not really. There are plenty of things to be discussed in a contract.

So you want to sign an SPC

...and yes, it could be back and forth on "minor" details - 0.01 of a million dollars is still $10,000, a good amount of money even if you make the millions.

Reactions: SmellOfVictory

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad