No World Cup before 2013

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Reported on Finnish news sites, IIHF's head of communications (not sure if the title is correctly translated) Szymon Szemberg said in an interview for Swedish radio that a World Cup can't be staged until the NHL and NHLPA have agreed on a new CBA and according to him, the two sides are far from an agreement.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
I don't know how much North American fans would embrace a WC anyway...seems to me like WJC and the Olympics is enough international competition for them...

I personally would love a WC, do away with the importance of the Olympics, and make the World Championships the junior type level competition, with the Olympics taking the importance of the World Championships

in soccer for example, the Olympics is treated almost as a youth competition, with only 2 experienced players allowed per team

but yet again soccer is not hockey, and if the Olympics is the most important so be it

dmacgreg37

Dec 11, 2007
British Columbia
I don't know how much North American fans would embrace a WC anyway...seems to me like WJC and the Olympics is enough international competition for them...
I personally would love a WC, do away with the importance of the Olympics, and make the World Championships the junior type level competition, with the Olympics taking the importance of the World Championships

in soccer for example, the Olympics is treated almost as a youth competition, with only 2 experienced players allowed per team

but yet again soccer is not hockey, and if the Olympics is the most important so be it

I don't know, the WC got good support in 2004 despite already having had Olympics with best-on-best twice before. I think that any International hockey is accepted in Canada, and I'm sure would be in parts of the US.

I think if it was done every 4 years (2 years apart from each Olympics) it would do well.

Ogopogo*

World Cup should only exist if the Olympics don't. Having both is just a cash grab and cheapens both tournaments.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I don't know, the WC got good support in 2004 despite already having had Olympics with best-on-best twice before. I think that any International hockey is accepted in Canada, and I'm sure would be in parts of the US.

I think if it was done every 4 years (2 years apart from each Olympics) it would do well.

I don't think that's enough for the NHL or the NHLPA if the rest of the World is indifferent.

dmacgreg37

Dec 11, 2007
British Columbia
I don't think that's enough for the NHL or the NHLPA if the rest of the World is indifferent.

If they hold it entirely in NA it would be, because they'd make loads of money. I'm not saying that it will happen, b/c I have no idea how the CBA works, but if anyone thinks the NHL and NHLPA wouldn't hold a moneymaking event becuase some people wouldn't be interested are nuts.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
If they hold it entirely in NA it would be, because they'd make loads of money. I'm not saying that it will happen, b/c I have no idea how the CBA works, but if anyone thinks the NHL and NHLPA wouldn't hold a moneymaking event becuase some people wouldn't be interested are nuts.

That wouldn't fly with the European national federations and probably not the all of NHLPA either. Not to mention the European fans.

Other Little Mikey

Aug 31, 2005
Edmonton
I don't know, the WC got good support in 2004 despite already having had Olympics with best-on-best twice before.

Yeah, but that's because everyone knew there was going to be a lockout and we might not see these players again for an entire year. The other thing I personally found interesting was it was on NHL-sized ice. Now we've done that in the Olympics too.

World Cup should only exist if the Olympics don't. Having both is just a cash grab and cheapens both tournaments.

Agreed. I really like that there's 4 years in between, it allows for a lot of changes in who the best players are. Think how much Canada's roster changed from 02 to 06 and again to 10. Keeps it special, imo. The players might only get one shot at a medal.

Last edited:

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
A world Cup around 6 months before the Olympics would be kind of pointless (if the NHL is going to Sochi)

That's the key.

The thing I liked about the WC is that they had games going on in north america and europe at the same time. That added some flavor for me.

Having said that, its time for a european country to host the world cup. Its not the Canada Cup anymore and ever since they changed it to the world cup, the finals have been held in Montreal and Toronto.

But if the nhl players are going to the olympics, then the WC is just overkill for hockey fans, and it degrades the value of the world cup too. Its a nice tournament to fall back on if the olympics dont go through, but meaningless if the players do go to Sochi (I think they will go btw).

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
There is another issue though. Hockey atmosphere is crucial.

Obviosuly we got that in Vancouver, and will get that in Sochi, but the 2018 game bidders are France, Germany, and Korea. I cant see the hockey atmpshere being too big there. With the World Cup you play games in hockey countries, providing a much better atmosphere

Hackett

BAKAMAN
Mar 4, 2002
Visit site
There is another issue though. Hockey atmosphere is crucial.

Obviosuly we got that in Vancouver, and will get that in Sochi, but the 2018 game bidders are France, Germany, and Korea. I cant see the hockey atmpshere being too big there. With the World Cup you play games in hockey countries, providing a much better atmosphere

I think the atmosphere is secondary. The olympics will always be a better means of exposure to your sport than the world cup, unless we are talking about soccer.

I still remember the buidling in torino rocking with swiss fans going insane in the crowd while they shut out canada. it had a european football feeling to it with the crowd constantly jumping and chanting while releasing a huge swiss flag and passing it around.

One thing we dont need to worry about is euro fans bringing atmosphere to games. You put your national colours on a senior team, and the fans will be there with pride. They do it better than north america.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Clearly it doesn't, just check out the ratings for the Olympics.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaa

May 16, 2009
Give me ten best-on-best tournaments a year, and I am attending and watching every game in every one of them. There is never too much best-on-best for me. I wish there were a lot more.

I would love a World Cup in 2012, as it would be ideal, but if there is one in 2013, I'd watch faithfully and do the same a few months later when the Olympics began.

Seguins Dragon*

disagree.

Have them 2 years apart, so there is a "special" international event every 2 years.

Olympics during Feb of 2010...
Have world cup in August\July of 2012... if the world still exists...

I love both tournaments and it can only help grow the sport... have World Cup games played around the world... every participating country gets at least 1 home game (including round robin)

It would be great.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I would love a World Cup in 2012, as it would be ideal, but if there is one in 2013, I'd watch faithfully and do the same a few months later when the Olympics began.

2013 is just the earliest date it could theoratically be arranged but practically highly unlikely both due to the time and energy the CBA negotiations will take (hopefully sans a lock-out this time) from the preparation needed for tournament arrangements and the closeness of the Olympics.

Smif

Jan 23, 2008
Hamilton
Give me ten best-on-best tournaments a year, and I am attending and watching every game in every one of them. There is never too much best-on-best for me. I wish there were a lot more.

Good call, I'm with ya.

Panteras

Sep 14, 2009
the thing is, the Olympics for me is more of an amateurish competition, most of the athletes that compete in the Olympics are amateurs and in fact the purpose of the Olympics was to showcase those amazing amateur athletes in their respective "not so popular" "sport"

when you have a sport such as soccer, rugby, basketball, and hockey which are pretty international and with a substantial amount of professional athletes from around the world, it deserves its own WC

there is no point of having the bobsled or curling WC, but hockey ummm yeah it makes sense..

most sports have gone that route that I explained in my first post in this thread...baseball for example never sent it's professionals to the Olympics and has recently made it clear that they are serious about their WC, called the World Baseball Classic (which I actually have enjoyed)

basketball too, even though the Olympics has remained important to it, the basketball WC has really risen in importance

and in hockey they should do what they do in soccer, send these junior kids to the Olympics, what better than the kids lifting Olympic gold, make them win it for their country

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
the thing is, the Olympics for me is more of an amateurish competition, most of the athletes that compete in the Olympics are amateurs and in fact the purpose of the Olympics was to showcase those amazing amateur athletes in their respective "not so popular" "sport"
No.
Most athletes are pros these days, and the original purpose of the Olympics was to have the best athletes of every sport, especially the more popular sports, as long as said athletes were not from the working class (= pros). It was always intended for the very best athletes.

The stance regarding amateurism had already been outdated for a long time when the IOC officially abandoned it.

most sports have gone that route that I explained in my first post in this thread...baseball for example never sent it's professionals to the Olympics
... and has been removed from the Games as a result. :shakehead

Panteras

Sep 14, 2009
No.
Most athletes are pros these days

I don't know if you can provide figures or not, but if I had to make an educated guess i'd say you're wrong...most events in the Olympics are pure and simple things nobody gives a hoot about...

take curling for example, I'm sure the best 1% might do it for a living and have sponsorships etc..the rest have day jobs ...same goes for almost every discipline except for the team sports where you can be one of the bunch and still make a living with your sport

and the original purpose of the Olympics was to have the best athletes of every sport, especially the more popular sports, as long as said athletes were not from the working class (= pros). It was always intended for the very best athletes

umm right yeah, for amateurs , you're just rephrasing what I said, the original purpose of the Olympics was FOR AMATEURS

... and has been removed from the Games as a result. :shakehead

so? Soccer does it and it hasn't been removed, obviously has something to do with popularity and relevance of the sport worldwide...plus, at least soccer allows teams to send as I said 2 experienced players to the Olympics per team, such as Brazil bringing Ronaldinho in 2008, at least that gives something to look at even if the rest of the team are junior up and coming players...the MLB didn't send not 1 professional athlete , yeah that's bound to piss some people off specially when you are considered a fringe sport out of the USA/Japan and the Caribbean ..it's obvious the guys at the IOC haven't supported baseball and softball for a long time now

plus the World Baseball Classic is soooo much better

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad