No Trade Clause

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
I for one would like to see this rule put to bed at this years league meetings. We need more parity in the league and allowing players to waive potential trades which would help the teams involved is not right. Players are constantly targeting specific teams, and while it may be in their best interests, it is not always in the best interests of the league.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I for one would like to see this rule put to bed at this years league meetings. We need more parity in the league and allowing players to waive potential trades which would help the teams involved is not right. Players are constantly targeting specific teams, and while it may be in their best interests, it is not always in the best interests of the league.

yeah, why should 16 year olds who commit their future to this league have a say in anything!

goodtimes

Sep 24, 2013

Perhaps no trades at all for players still enrolled in High School. I'd hate to have my son studying for an exam only to get traded, thrown into a new school and have to start the process of getting to the school work all over again.

I think people forget that it's student athletes we are talking about , not just hockey players.

qc2nf

Jan 7, 2013
yeah, why should 16 year olds who commit their future to this league have a say in anything!

I love a good shot of sarcasm in the morning :)

I agree, you are leaving home, still in high school and giving up your US school option. They for sure should have the right to choose. I like the way the OHL does it and hope they keep it. Wish the Q would do this as well.

NHL Fanatic

Oct 4, 2010
GTA
No trade clause will never be eliminated as it shouldn't. It's bad enough some of these kids are so far away from home and once they've finally built comfort and stability it would suck to be moved. Junior hockey careers are so short, 4/5 years go by way too quickly.

Tarantula

Hanging around the web
Aug 31, 2017
GTA
Sure it can be a drag as a fan but at the end of the day they are teenagers. Individual players and their families have more to consider for the kids future then draft picks coming to the team for a rebuild. I am a fan of a team, no kids in hockey or vested interest in that regard, and I understand why players and their parents would want to have some control.

AttackSound

Junior Hockey Fan Since Birth
Aug 25, 2016
Owen Sound, Ontario
No trade clauses is a bit of an on the fence type deal to me.

And here's why, for much as I am a longtime fan of the league we (the fans) always strive to see our local OHL club get better and better at different points of the natural OHL 3 year stints which is the ultimate goal of every team in the league, and trades are a necessary evil as part of that stint to be successful.

However when it comes to clauses in players SPA's it creates an imbalance in the league's natural cycle of success for most clubs. I agree with the ideals that each player should have the option for themselves to be moved or stay with the team there with as part of their own goal of making the pros in their development but as I have seen many times before these situations have just as much negative effect on players and teams as much as they do good.

Consider this as you read this, if you were drafted by an OHL club at 15 and told the same speech every team tells you that you're the future of the franchise and you are the best option for the progress of the team and then a year later you are shuffled around for a player who's young how you would feel to be replaced??

On the other hand there is always those situations where you always are walking on a thin rope hoping to stick it out in the league and you believe that if you stay where you are it is the best option for you and your career, would you?

At the end of the day if you understand this and you accept that you only have a short career in the league and you can be help for yourself and your team or to another in some point in time of the 3 year cycle then you truly understand Jr hockey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad